Thread: School Ice Fishing Trip

Default School Ice Fishing Trip

We took a day off from our academic curriculum and focused on our cultural curriculum....we went Ice Fishing. Yes, yes we do things like that. Fishing or hunting trips are important in our community and one of the perks of teaching in the bush, is you get to do stuff like this and still get paid

Anyways the weather out here on the lower yukon is quite nice. Temps around 32 give or take. Ice was 4-5' deep. Very little wind.

We ended up catching 4 pike. Largest was 45" and smallest was 28".

We were using willow sticks, thin rope and reflectors with salmon and eels as bait.
    I was using some jigs that were sent to me by a member here.
    Christopher though I didn't catch anything today, I'm not giving up. 3 of the 4 fish were caught out of the same hole. We had a total of 15 holes, but very little action today.

I'll try to get some pics posted later.

Wow, that sounds awesome. I wood love to catch a 48" pike out of a hole or on a pole but those are hard to come by around here. I went fishin on matanuska lake yesterday and we caught 15 char between 10" and 28". Lots of water on top of the ice but still 30" of good ice. A nice spring day with temps in the mid 40s... "Fishon"
    "Fisherman for Life" and "Phantom owner Forever"

Had to take down. Will need to edit it a bit.