Thread: how much snow on the kenai this winter?

Default how much snow on the kenai this winter?

Out of curiosity, what kind of year for snow has it been on the Kenai this year? Trying to plan some spring trips and the timing will depend on if it's been an average, above or below average year for snow. I know anchorage area is below normal snowfall this winter, but I'm specifically wondering if anybody knows about the snowfall in the mountains on the Kenai.

Bare ground pretty much all winter up to the 2000' level. And very very little snow up high. Been here since 83 and have never seen so little snow for an entire winter. Lots of ice yet. But no snow. It's crazy.

Turnagain Pass never opened to snow machines this winter. I can think of a couple winters in the early 80's where snow was sparse also, but not as sparse as this winter. I never got even one ride in on the snow go. I have been able to drive the pickup right up to the door of my cabin out north though, so I have been taking advantage of that to get some things done. If you plan to hike in the Kenai Mtns, get some micro spikes. Oh, and bring along your bear protection.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Gotcha, I heard it was bad in the city, but sounds like even up high it's been pretty dry. Thanks for the info!

I wouldn't say it's been dry. It's rained up high. So lots of ice.

Roughly.........Just ROUGHLY what part of the KP are you the most interested in as to snow depth........???

Quote Originally Posted by WIsam View Post
    Gotcha, I heard it was bad in the city, but sounds like even up high it's been pretty dry. Thanks for the info!

Either Hope area around 3-4000 feet elevation or Seward in lost lake trail area.

I know it's been pretty snow free this year but wondering if it's been a dry or wet year for rain? If so possibly average snow up high? From the sounds of it, even higher in the mountains is less than normal for snow.

The cabin up lost lake trail out of seward has less than a foot of snow around it.

This is the current forecast.......and this forecast is typical of nearly "ALL" of this past winter's weather in the Hope area.
    http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/l/USAK0108
    Currently in Hope, AK. partly sunny & 48 degrees above.

Quote Originally Posted by WIsam View Post
    Either Hope area around 3-4000 feet elevation or Seward in lost lake trail area.

I know it's been pretty snow free this year but wondering if it's been a dry or wet year for rain? If so possibly average snow up high? From the sounds of it, even higher in the mountains is less than normal for snow.