Thread: 2015 DM766 Hunt

Default 2015 DM766 Hunt

Hi guys, my 1st post here .... Drew DM766 tag as a non-resident. I am planning to speaking with biologist to get more details as I am usually a DIY hunter, but wanted to see if anyone has any tips on how to best access the area? Is better to try to rent a 4-wheeler or snowmobile and go via Rex Trail or do you recommend hiring a transporter/bush plane to get in there? If later, any transporters you can recommend? Many thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by skhunt View Post
    Hi guys, my 1st post here .... Drew DM766 tag as a non-resident. I am planning to speaking with biologist to get more details as I am usually a DIY hunter, but wanted to see if anyone has any tips on how to best access the area? Is better to try to rent a 4-wheeler or snowmobile and go via Rex Trail or do you recommend hiring a transporter/bush plane to get in there? If later, any transporters you can recommend? Many thanks in advance.
    Extremely tough hunt for a non resident DIY especially if you have no knowledge of the area. Personally I wouldn't trust piece of rental equipment when accessing this area too many things that can go wrong... BETTER.. be well verse in arctic Survival and have good Arctic Gear. I've been back there when its been 45 below. Sleds, belts, plugs, antifreeze, fuel don't cooperate when it's that cold. If you come in on the Rex Trail you'll see other hunters after 16th. Providing get you can find trail head. :-)
    River-s historically freeze up by 14-16th Most residence head in after the 16th. I've gone in earlier then that several times. I've also headed back with me tail between my legs in as many times because I didn't want to chance falling through the ice.

Along the trail it gets hunted pretty hard. Most of the traffic Thanksgiving weekend. Coldest too.
    Its a long trip in and long trip out should you plan day hunts.....This hunt I've always enjoyed the camping aspect more then the actual hunt. Few hunters ride in and out each day.... Wouldn't think about that unless you had three reliable Sleds your just puting
    Yourself at to much of risk. Most residents prefer a good camp and don't worry about coming out. If you can go in with that attitude you'll be OK. I'll be back there this Fall. PM me if you need any additional info. Good Luck.

I've done.t h is hunt.3 times temps.35 above to -35 snowmachine is only way. To go arctic. Oven tent and wood stove every time bulls in different, locations. I would hire a plane to do scouting then machine in unless you can snowshoe like a mad trapper in the old days.

Thank you very much for details you provided guys. I really appreciate it. You confirmed what I was already suspecting. I also talked to my cousin who lived in the area for 9 years and he also said the same things you did. I will likely not do this as a DIY hunt, if at all, based on all this info. Thanks again for your help.

If your looking for really good guide I would contact Conor Rampage Alaska out of Healy. Conor and his clients have taken some really nice bulls back there. Has a good set up for camping arctic conditions too. Heck of a bear guide too. I know of three inland grizzly bears over 9' that he or his client's have take in past several years.

Thank you ramdap!