Thread: Kasilof?

Default Kasilof?

I see fish counts of reds started popping up, anyone planning to hit the opener?

Is the regular commercial openings the same as past years, Monday and Thursday?

I probably won't get down until after the 4th...

Default Yup

I'm planning on hitting the opener if you are willing to share the gas, the commercial times are the same as previous years and this one should be decent due to the run building already... check the commercial hotline (my speed dial is set up for it (grin) 262-9611.
    "He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit is better than he who takes a city." ~ Proverbs 16:32

I'll be there on the 1st. I've only dipped Chitna so there will be a learning curve. Got any tips?
    Life is tough........it's alot tougher if you're stupid.

appreciate the offer Rob and would normaly jump, but I'm going to miss the opener (work)...I'll be in town with some family though and we're going to try to get that direction sometime during the week of the 4th...I guess not Monday or Thursday though!

I've been on the hotline every morning...no need for speed dial it's locked into muscle memory!

Default Too Funny

I've got the "muscle memory too" for the #, us die-hards are boarderline menical about the research and info... I'm actually going to miss the opener but am planning on going down sometime. My friend's proxy is what I fish there and I get my own limit at the Kenai; I'm privledged to be able to both and encourage others to help the elderly/disabled in doing the same.
    "He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit is better than he who takes a city." ~ Proverbs 16:32

Quote Originally Posted by nibenza View Post
    I'll be there on the 1st. I've only dipped Chitna so there will be a learning curve. Got any tips?
    Bring patience (there's usually tons of folks there) and dip near where the boats moar up in the evening. I usually go mid-July and limit out in a day or two. Last year was the worst for me (only 23) to date but then I heard allot of folks did just as well as I did. Watch-out for the set-netters, last year they were planting nets right at peoples feet and cutting off the fish flow to the dipnets. I realize everybody has to make a living but others have to eat too and most need the fish to get by through-out the year. Good luck and have fun!

I was thinking of heading down, but have been wondering if I will be breathing smoke from the fire. Heard on the news it was on the move toward the Kasilof, but suspect this is way upstream.

Default kasilof

I just returned from the kasilof setnetting yesterday night. It was terrible!, not very many fish at all and lots and lots and lots of people. We (the family) had to wait a day and a half just for a spot to open. Some people were on their second day of waiting & still hadn't found a spot. A fight darn near broke out when I left my spot between two groups of people who wanted my spot. The fish just are not there yet. So lets see, I came home with 11 reds in five days, but a day and a half was waiting for a spot to open. SLOW

Default Fyi Smoke

Thursday the smoke was in the area, but not that bad. The people camped next to us burning plastic was worse than the forest fires. Friday the wind was from another direction and no smoke was detectable, the smoke was more to the east of the Kasilof beach.

Fnd -- that is some hard fishing, not sure I am that eager to deal with a lot of madness. I try to avoid the weekend crowd for that reason. Thanks for the warning. I here you on the plastic smell, out here Palmer several neighbors have burn barrels and get a heavy dose of plastic smells ever now and then. The no burn in the valley recently has been nice though.

Whitetail,

Thanks for the tip.

fnd,

Thanks for the update.

I'll just have to see how they are running while I'm there and decide if it's worth the hassle. I'll have time and other options.
    Life is tough........it's alot tougher if you're stupid.

Default Opener

I was on the way back from the Russian 3 hours ago and stopped at the construction. The guy in front of me had dipnets on, so I got out and got info. He said it was terrible, the commercial nets were out and he got one fish all day.
    Does anyone know when the commercial nets will be pulled, or what the schedule may be, a phone number, etc?
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

Default 2629611

907-262-9611

Default here we go again.

Quote Originally Posted by wildog View Post
    I was on the way back from the Russian 3 hours ago and stopped at the construction. The guy in front of me had dipnets on, so I got out and got info. He said it was terrible, the commercial nets were out and he got one fish all day.
    Does anyone know when the commercial nets will be pulled, or what the schedule may be, a phone number, etc?
    The fishing was bad because the run has not hit the beach yet. The commercial harvest was 6500 reds for the whole beach. However, people want to blame someone for fishing when no fish are present. The run appears late this year so if one is going on last year catches things are different - it is due to fish behavior.

Nerka -- 6500 out of 31000 seems like a lot. Certainly the commercial folks are having an effect on the run. I saw last year that the escapement goal was not reached on the Kasilof. I also know the commercial folks were working the mouth very hard.

Default Kasilof River escapement

The Kasilof goal went over 300,000 fish last year which was the upper end of the goal so am not sure what you were looking at Alaskariverrat.

The 6500 fish is taken out of what is on the beach not the total escapement to date. It speaks to not very many fish being available for harvest.

It is amazing to me that this commercial, personal use, sport fish discussion continues. There are lots of fish for everyone - just somedays are better than others. Personal Use fisherman do not have a priority - only subsistence does so fish hard and enjoy the summer. Lets stop the pointing of fingers at each other and just make sure we manage to the goals.

Nerka -- re-read the report I briefly looked at -- oops!.. The run was low 900,000 compared to 1.2 million -- escapement was believed to be on target assuming the fish only swim up stream once rather than swim back and forth across of the sonar.

Default can tell upstream from downstream

Alaskariverrat - any method of counting fish has error associated with it - even when we can actually see the darn things. However, if you treat any count as an index then only one criteria has to apply - that the index is in proportion to the actual abundance. The Bendix sonar counters have been tested in clear water systems, with other sonars, and by comparing with actual stream counts in Kasilof. Recently, a new sonar system called the Didson is being used and it can tell if a fish is moving upstream or downstream. So your concerns about upstream and downstream are reduced with this new system.

The Bendix system has served well in UCI and since it was first installed in the 1960's it has been a major reason we have good fish runs and escapements today.