Thread: Recall On Kidde Fire Extinguishers

Exclamation Recall On Kidde Fire Extinguishers

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Thanks for the heads up!

And a friendly reminder that it's a good practice to do an annual check on your dry chem extinguishers in your boat, house and vehicles to make sure the pressure is in the green and also a good idea to shake the bottle to make sure the dry chem is moving freely and hasn't caked up.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    Thanks for the heads up!

And a friendly reminder that it's a good practice to do an annual check on your dry chem extinguishers in your boat, house and vehicles to make sure the pressure is in the green and also a good idea to shake the bottle to make sure the dry chem is moving freely and hasn't caked up.
    Good Point Paul. The USCG Aux guy that inspected my boat last week told me that they are now recommending the extinguishers be mounted horizontally. The theory is the motion of the boat will keep it shook up.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    MMSI# 338131469

The Kidde fire extinguisher recall could be critically important...especially if you happen to be one of those with a recalled fire extinguisher and happen to have an onboard fire! Check your extinguishers and ensure that they are serviceable! There seems to be a bit of misunderstanding about fire extinguishers, especially the dry chemical type that are common on boats. For years, the Auxiliary was taught to use a rubber hammer and smack the bottom of a dry chemical fire extinguisher to 'loosen caked material'...unfortunately, this practice sometimes created an unserviceable condition by jarring the chemical pickup tube loose and the fire extinguisher would fail if you used it. I think it's important to understand some fire extinguisher terminology here; "caking" is a condition in which the dry chemical actually is loosely bonded together in chunks when water/moisture is introduced into the cylinder. When the dry chemical is "caked", it means that the fire extinguisher is no longer serviceable and should be replaced. Checking for "caking" doesn't mean you need to shake or tap the fire extinguisher to see if you can feel the dry chemical moving...you only have to check the gauge. (moisture cannot enter if the cylinder is still pressurized) If the gauge is in the red, replace the fire extinguisher - simple enough.

Another condition (the one most commonly mistaken as "caking") is "packing" or "packed". The dry chemical actually settles when the extinguisher isn't moved for periods of time. This condition is very normal and does NOT mean that the extinguisher is unserviceable. As long as it passes an external inspection as specified in your owner's manual (check the gauge reading, look for signs of corrosion, check the safety pin, etc), then the extinguisher is serviceable. You do not have to tap, shake or invert the fire extinguisher. Any "packing" condition will not prevent the fire extinguisher from operating properly. Most fire extinguishers are mounted vertically simply because that's the way they were designed to be mounted...and used. Mounting a fire extinguisher horizontally may be the best option for a small boat with limited space but remember that the brackets are not designed to be mounted horizontally and could fail causing the fire extinguisher to fall off. The bottom line with fire extinguishers is to inspect them annually, replace them if they are not serviceable and don't render them useless by hammering on them. The "Old Traditional Methods" of fire extinguisher inspection methods remain one of those urban legends that just keep hanging around. Boat Safer! Mike

Thanks CG Boating Safety. Real information that I can use. I can now leave my rubber mallet to smacking Salmon and not my fire extinguisher.

Quote Originally Posted by Tolman24 View Post
    Thanks CG Boating Safety. Real information that I can use. I can now leave my rubber mallet to smacking Salmon and not my fire extinguisher.
    100%

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    MMSI# 338131469