Thread: WEST SIDE CLAMMING (since East is closed)

Default WEST SIDE CLAMMING (since East is closed)

Any charters doing trips to the West side of Cook Inlet for clams this season?
    "Ebbtide" 27 X 9 GlacierCraft
    MMSI#

Bottom Line Charters out of Deep Creek has been running clam trips to the west side for years. www.bottomlilnecharters.us
    He has pics on their web page. 373-8234 Tell him Stanly sent ya!
    When the HOGS show up, somethins gonna DIE!!!
    Blood Sport
    32' Custom Wooldridge
    MMSI #: 338181573

There are several outfits running out of Kenai as well I think. Hi-Lo is advertising no limit clamming trips.

They may not be "no limit" for long...

Charterboat Operator

Ebbtide, we got several good clamming days open yet, Was actually thinking of doing a special for AOD members, since the beaches are closed this season, drop me a PM.

Greg

I agree Bottomline charters. they will feed you some lunch that they grill over there also added bonus. and if the weather allows and you want to they take you on a little scenic side trip

http://peninsulaclarion.com/news/201...s-up-for-grabs

Looks like it's still no limit unless ADFG takes action inseason.

Quote Originally Posted by smithtb View Post
    http://peninsulaclarion.com/news/201...s-up-for-grabs

Looks like it's still no limit unless ADFG takes action inseason.
    Yesterday's Clarion states that they are considering a 60 clam limit for the West side.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

The article referenced was a PM update from yesterday I think. Sounds like they decided that since it was so hard and dangerous to access, they did not need any limits...

How many 10' zodiacs do you suppose will attempt the trip this year? Tonight's the night, baby! Fair winds, calm seas, and minus tides!

The big problem with small boats and middle Cook Inlet is the extreme nature of the tides, they are real big and the water is really moving fast. Another alternative is to charter a flight, no skin in the game here but I have seen them landing over at Polly for years .... http://www.natronair.com/

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeRoss View Post
    Yesterday's Clarion states that they are considering a 60 clam limit for the West side.
    Perhaps a wise move. The demand will be higher over there this year and if ADFG does their job correctly they will manage the resource conservatively. Gone are the days of unlimited 'anything', there are just too many users.
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

The roads to the west side end at the Susitna river .... access limited to boat which is dangerous, or plane, impact on the resource has not changed why should the limit go down, it is all about the harvest and on the west side that is not going to change, because of limited access. Keep an eye on the commercal harvest and all should be well when managing this resource .... BTW when I clam I keep it to 50 because 1.) I have to carry the bucket and 2.) in 20 years of doing this the clams are still kind of BIG critters .....

Quote Originally Posted by ocnfish View Post
    The roads to the west side end at the Susitna river .... access limited to boat which is dangerous, or plane, impact on the resource has not changed why should the limit go down, it is all about the harvest and on the west side that is not going to change, because of limited access. Keep an eye on the commercal harvest and all should be well when managing this resource .... BTW when I clam I keep it to 50 because 1.) I have to carry the bucket and 2.) in 20 years of doing this the clams are still kind of BIG critters .....
    I know people who said that about east side clams just 10 years ago...

ya, they'll wait till they are impacted before they attempt conservation

Last I checked DOT had no plans to put roads to the west side if Cook's inlet, I think that the resource is bering managed and I will report on clam quanity and size on my April trip in the Skywagon to Polly Creek. To put it all into focus, where there are roads salmon and every other harvestable animal or for that manner plant (fiddle head ferns in the valley are not what they once were) needs to closely monitored so that the east clam population can rebound. Where the human masses can not reach the resource, it is just not an issue. I was told by a long time resident of Homer recently that the bay is being strip mined by the Russian village at the head of the bay, any truth to that?

Had fried Polly Creek razors for dinner last night, along with bbq grilled steaks from a 12 pound Kenai silver I froze whole in October. Sadly the razors were ones I had purchased rather than dig myself. I prefer my method of clam cleaning to what they do at the clammery. But they did taste wonderful.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Quote Originally Posted by ocnfish View Post
    Last I checked DOT had no plans to put roads to the west side if Cook's inlet, I think that the resource is bering managed and I will report on clam quanity and size on my April trip in the Skywagon to Polly Creek.
    Flying over there is definitely the way to go. Will try and convince my PA12 buddy into a Polly Creek clam dig before he puts on the floats. Of lately hes been too timid to land off shore so we have to walk out from the beach. We are both close friends with the Family who own all the cabins along the beach, always a good time visiting with them. Back when we landed off shore it took us like 20 minutes to fill two 5 gallon buckets with jumbo razors.

Man there is nothing like a platter of freshly fried razor clam bellies.
    I think it goes like this: Flower, egg, cracker crumbs, into the fryer.

Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

Quote Originally Posted by breausaw View Post
    Man there is nothing like a platter of freshly fried razor clam bellies.
    I think it goes like this: Flower, egg, cracker crumbs, into the fryer.
    Or onto an oiled up griddle on the Barbie with a chunk of cottonwood on the side just for fun Dang I'm hungry now.

December, January, and February, I really like my 1/2 & 1/2 and diced potato and all the right spices clam chouder. Throw in some tepura Halibut and a good salid and a glass or two of wine and I am a happy man ..... :~)

A PA12 is a good option to land on the beach dig and get out of dodge before the tide comes roaring back in, I land high on the beach and walk out a long long way and dig my 1/2 5 gallon buckett.
    Attached Images Attached Images