Thread: Wooly 18 sport jet and getting stuck?

Default Wooly 18 sport jet and getting stuck?

hi guys!..can you jet boat vets help me put
    togther the neccesary equipment i need to.carry
    will.me in case i get stuck on sandbars etc?
    ...since most of our boat adventures with be just myself
    and my better half, and it will be up to me getting the boat
    unstuck, i am starting with the chainsww winch!....thinking i
    should carry some sort of aluminum pole?....is there a device to
    pound into the sand/gravel if there is nothing to winch on?
    ..anything else?....thx for any help!! larry

ps..retired now.and ready to play!!

29' Wooldridge Pilot House, Twin 200 Hp Etecs! "...Pez Gordo..."
    18' Wooldridge Sport with 200 hp sport jet. "...Little Pez..."

I carry a Simpson winch (with honda motor) 18lbs and rated at 2000lbs pull. I stick my boat more than i am proud to admit and i will tell you i have broken 3/8" rope rated at 5600lbs so the little winch dang sure drags my boat any where i need to, including over dry ground. If i cant get to a tree or big rock to anchor off the rope, i carry a Smity built WASP (winch anchor support system) and it has hooked up even underwater in glaicer silt, only problem is sometimes that thing trys to dig to china and i have to take a shovel and dig it out. Minimum of 400ft of rope on boat. Plus two sheves in case i have to double my pulling power with bigger, heavier boats.
    I have never needed poles or stuff to cram under boat-- it easily breaks the suction in the silt with strait line pull.
    I have 2" reciever on front and rear of boat with winch mount that slides/pins right in so the winch and mount can be stored out of the way but easy to get to when needed. That thing on a no kidding 600ft pull burned less than 1/4 tank of fuel, but it burns the same gasoline as my boat so if i ever needed to refuel- no need for seperate fuel container as in chainsaw powered winch.
    I have conected it to other stuck boats by cable and was sucessful, but if you dont have a hard mount for winch on the boat so you dont have to hold the winch and contol rope your other half will not be happy if they are the one assisting-- trust me on this one! Those 2" recievers and winch mount is a life saver.
    Hope this helps.
    Mike

Having a shovel to dig a hole and bury your anchor for a Deadman works great. And you'll often need the shovel to retrieve your anchor even if you didnt bury it to begin with. Second would be a snatched block. To either double the line and power of the winch, or to alter directions. It won't necessarily get used a lot but is invaluable when the occasion arises. Enjoy your new toy!

cool!..ok, i sure like the looks of the WASP!!..gonna see if
    i can.pick one up locally or grab one when we
    do our yearly stop in seattle for boat goodies.and say hi to the wooldridges!!
    ..shovel, have 100meters of 1/2 inch (double braid poly) and
    still.would.like a pole of some sort to push off rocks etx!
    ..thx guys!!...anything else?

ps i have a snatch block etc already

A few crisp $100's in your pocket
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

Quote Originally Posted by Music Man View Post
    A few crisp $100's in your pocket
    seems i can get on from amazon for 160 bucks?

...pretty sure thats worth it!😊

Can any of you guys with receivers on your boats post a picture or two? I've been trying to visualize how/where those are installed. Thanks.
    "Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I still get to kill something." --Ron Swanson

I don't have a boat yet...sniff, sniff...but I looked over a couple of set ups during the first spring riverboat gathering. Some people had the receiver (just like on the back of a PU) welded into their boats. One guy had his winch mounted on a bar so he could slide it into a receiver at the front or rear of his boat. He had electrical connections front and rear as well.

I have a winch mounted in front of my airboat that rotate 110* each side of center. It really help when trying to winch backward.

Here is a thread from last year when i got stuck and it has a pretty good picture of the winch mount and reciver on post #6 and on post #7 is my point about having a hard mount and making things easy to control winch and rope, i just feed rope into storage area and it is out of the way and ready for next pull, and not holding the winch and rope. (the mount allows the winch to pivit more than 90 deg off the bow, pretty nice when the only anchor point if a couple hundred feet to the side)(also have the reciver in the rear, but have never used it to winch off of)
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...na-water-level
    Mike

You might consider carrying some item's to fix holes you put in the bottom of the boat in order to get home. I posted a list a year or two back you might find interesting.