Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Delorme inreach/sat phone rental

Default Delorme inreach/sat phone rental

Starting to plan this fall's hunts. What would you guys suggest, buying a Delorme inReach or renting a sat phone with texting capabilities? What are the pros and cons of each?

In the past I've rented a sat phone for trips and it worked well. Having said that, I've since purchased an inreach and love it. They're very affordable, it's worked great everywhere I've been, and also allows my friends and family to track my progress on trips. When I'm not on a trip, we carry it in our vehicle for travel safety.
    "One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted"
    Jose Ortega y Gasset, Meditations on Hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by brule View Post
    In the past I've rented a sat phone for trips and it worked well. Having said that, I've since purchased an inreach and love it. They're very affordable, it's worked great everywhere I've been, and also allows my friends and family to track my progress on trips. When I'm not on a trip, we carry it in our vehicle for travel safety.
    Would second that! Inreach hard to beat. Sync with your smart phone. Family can track your every move. If you like to hunt SOLO it's great for those left at home. Providing you keep in contact on daily basis... No contact well not good.

I used to rent Sat phones on my more remote hunts. I've since bought an InReach after borrowing a friends' on my last remote hunt. Really liked it, worked great. The only problem I forsee is if you have an immediate emergency, simply pressing the SOS doesn't send a helicopter your way ASAP like some might think. You will have to relay messages back and forth a couple times with the emergency center or wherever the SOS connects to; describing your situation. There was a post a while back on such a situation. I suppose you could always just send a message to someone you know and tell them to send help instead of the SOS button. Other than that I think InReaches are awesome!

I have an inreach sitting at home waiting to sign up and use this season. Wayyyy cheaper than sat phone. Curious how long the battery lasts in one.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Battery surprisingly last forever. If you only check in the morning and send quick text at night.
    We use e preset text messages. 1st "I'm OK spending the night this location 2nd. Message moving to new location. 3rd we are delayed. No emergency. Preset messages once sent provides location. Also has a SOS button should there be real emergency. Sends location. If you use preset messages sparingly battery will last a month. If daughter's texting mom every night possibly a week if your lucky. Best part InReach you can send message in the morning go hunting check your messages later that night. Same with my wife at work. She can check messages at her leisure then make arrangements for us should we need pilot to pick us up week later or what ever. Big advantage... provides history of every message you sent, time and location and what was said
    Sat Phones I think are a thing of the past. InReach when synced with smart phone can be used for a variety of things including GPS. I've downloaded darn near every topo map in AK on my smart phone. Batteries phone another story....better have a plan for recharging batteries.

Can you recharge a inreach with a usb?
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    Can you recharge a inreach with a usb?
    Yes, it comes with a USB recharging cord.

Sweet. I have a usb solar panel for my iPhone. It charges a small battery pack with a usb plug on it. Super duper. Thanks
    Master guide 212

I have a meeting tonight with our Outdoor Group and was going to suggest we buy a Sat phone for the group to check out. I have rented phones in the past. Now I will have to do some research on Inreach. Good thread.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

I like the phone then I know they heard me and not every phone has text capabilities. Like a business number usually won't. The inreach will be less convienent than my sat phone but just cheaper for what I do.
    Master guide 212

I got rid of my Sat phone and now use the InReach. I had to teach my wife how to get information I would want over the internet to text me back. (Weather etc...) I love the "spider tracks" I leave. The wife can see where I am and how fast I am moving. Battery lasts up to three days of continuous use. Easy to charge up with the USB. My group liked it so much we know all have one so we had to put our initials on them to keep ID them.

+1 for InReach. Used one last year on our sheep hunt. Worked like a champ and had no issues with battery life on an 7 day hunt. We checked in with family and pilots couple of times. Notified pilot we'd need an extra day and he texted back "copy". Had to use the SOS function while duck hunting on the little Sue when a guy in a cabin next to us had a heart attack. Fortunately my hunting buddy and forum member is a flight medic for Life Med. Unfortunately the guy didn't make it. Turns out the troopers couldn't quite grasp that Matsu medical cant drive an Ambulance down the Little Sue. By the time they even rallied the troops Life Med was en route. My advice.....make sure you have Life Meds # stored in the InReach. It'll save a ton of time and possibly a life. It took 50 minutes from the time he went down to the Heli showing up (that's a long time to do CPR ). Pretty frustrating when we could see Anchorage from across the bay. The troopers never actually showed up and thankfully they allowed Life Med crew to take pictures of the scene and transport the body back to Anchorage. We were loosing the tide and the boats were about 20mins from being high and dry until the next tide. Would have been a really rough extraction if the troopers would have made us deal with it or wait. So yeah....Life Med http://www.lifemedalaska.com/ I think I would probably call them over 911 if another life or death situation were to happen. Not impressed with the lack of knowledge about where we were or how best to reach us. It's as if they didn't have a map or the internet available as reference. The troopers and 911 didn't really even know what the InReach was even after they were contacted by my wife, my hunting partners wife, and Delorme. Aaaaand they had the exact location coordinates for where we were. Make sure that you only put in a few emergency contact numbers. This will eliminate confusion and having a bunch of concerned family members getting all wrapped up in the situation. Both our wives were home and thankfully they understood that if one of us were to hit the SOS it meant the $h!t had hit the fan. The troopers kept asking my wife if she thought we were really hurt or just lost and hungry. Lost and hungry....with a jet boat....guns....beer....and within sight of Anchorage. Cmon'.

I'm a huge fan of sat phones. I'd rather talk than text. I must be old school

Edit: I was under the impression you can only use the in reach to send sms messages. Are you able to call using your iPhone? Like the new iridium GO.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnclimber View Post
    I'm a huge fan of sat phones. I'd rather talk than text. I must be old school

Edit: I was under the impression you can only use the in reach to send sms messages. Are you able to call using your iPhone? Like the new iridium GO.
    You can only send messages, you cannot make phone calls. I don't really see the appeal of the Iridium GO. For that price you're better off just buying a sat phone. Plus it doesn't make sense to me to have to carry a $800 Iridium GO unit, and have to pack around a $600 smart phone.

I spend six months a year or more in remote locations on my boat. I have the inreach and a satphone that is built into my boat. The inreach always has a signal, satphone doesn't if there is a mountain in the way (up in a bay). I use the inreach for casual texts and to keep in contact with friends, and use the satphone to talk to the missus in the evenings. If you are just looking for something to use a couple weeks a year while hunting, just go with the inreach. Lots of cool online options, gives location, elevation, direction of travel, and speed (something that could be really useful if you are adrift). Check out www.goalzero.com for recharging options. I have the solar unit that also works on a 12v charger on my Honda quad and my boat dash, came with a nice little tweeker speaker and charges my phone (and ipod, nice when weathered in a tent) and inreach. I use the heck out of it while on the beach.

Setting up my inreach today. What a pain. Have to sync it with a computer and stuff before I can use blue tooth.
    Master guide 212

Jake not sure how computer savvy you are but once it is set up it is nice to have the Bluetooth connection. All your contacts there and easier than manually entering them into the InReach. Hopefully you got the plan large enough for the free spider tracks. Your wife will appreciate that.

Well I don't have Internet at the house, and not real savy but will find a way to make it work. I have the unlimited plan.
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    Setting up my inreach today. What a pain. Have to sync it with a computer and stuff before I can use blue tooth.
    Dude.... It's 2015, just get a 10 year old to help you. Trust me, it's worth the few minutes to figure out. BTW, show the wife, she will appreciate the hell out of knowing where you are 24-7, even if you don't get to talk daily. Trust me on this one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast