Thread: bang flop bullet for the 8mm Mauser

Default bang flop bullet for the 8mm Mauser

I just picked up a very clean VZ24 and am looking into the Nosler Partition or the Accubond in the 200 grain. Accubonds seem to be the "cheaper" and want to know how you all like them for use on our game considering the velocities of the 8 x 57 chambering. May consider the Hornady Interlock 195's as well but.... they seem to be made a tad lighter in sectional density. Really a pretty neat rifle.

Default Partitions

You really can't go wrong with the Partition. Talk about the test of time...

And, if you load 200 grainers, you can roll some Speer Hot-Cors for less than half the bullet cost -- less than the Accubond, too -- and practice with them. The Speer is about .010" shorter than the Partition, but ballistically, it's hard to tell the difference.

I've heard good things about the Accubond, too. Just never loaded them myself.

Enjoy that Mauser!

Talking 8x57

I have a 61/4lb, 20 inch, mannlicher stocked, M98 carbine and I've shot the 200gr Nosler partitions (took a big bull moose with it), shot some deer and elk with 185 Rem Core-lokt round nose. I found a bunch of old core-lokt one time and was almost paid to take them off the store shelf, but talk about a great bullet. I did some torture and penetration tests and the Rem performed outstanding. They were a perfect match for that carbine's load. If you could find some of them, it'd be worth your time.
    If you like getting kicked by a mule...then you'll "love" shooting my .458.

I agree Maydog. That Corlokt is a heck of a bullet for the 8x57. I've only shot deer with it, but it performed exceptionally. Come to think of it, I've always had great luck with Corlokt in non-belted cases. When the 8 mag first came out I shot enough to convince me extra structure was needed for the higher velocity, but I'd search hard for more of them if I was shooting an 8x57 today.

that is what I "needed" to hear about the use of any bullet in the 8 x 57 for our use excluding the big bears unless......
    Just came to mind I may have Ken Corcoran do a rechamber job to the 8x60 or the 68 for this rifle...any thoughts? Going to the 68 would might perhaps cause abit of work in the mag well department.

thanks.

Talking 8x68

Quote Originally Posted by grizz106 View Post
    that is what I "needed" to hear about the use of any bullet in the 8 x 57 for our use excluding the big bears unless......
    Just came to mind I may have Ken Corcoran do a rechamber job to the 8x60 or the 68 for this rifle...any thoughts? Going to the 68 would might perhaps cause abit of work in the mag well department.

thanks.
    I would think that the 8x68 might be the best choice because it'll be close to the 8mm Rem mag. I don't think the 8x60 would gain you very much over what you have...especially for the cost. I have a custom made 8mm338 wildcat, and had RCBS make a set of dies to match the chamber. It's on a m98 action and shoots a 180 gr Barnes X close to 3250fps. I've taken numerous animals from antelope, deer, elk, bison, muskox and bear, both black and griz with it...no animal needed more than one shot. But, if I didn't have that rifle, I'd seriously consider the 325WSM, because it'd be close. That could be an option...considering the expense and time involved in a custom rifle. Good luck with your choice, ciao.
    If you like getting kicked by a mule...then you'll "love" shooting my .458.