Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anchorage Boat Show

Default Anchorage Boat Show

I was somewhat surprised that there was no chatter about the Anchorage Boat Show this weekend on the forum. Did any of you attend? I was not able to attend, and the folks I talked to that did attend said it was a quick trip trough the show. I am curious if those that did attend found any value in the show.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Cresent Hills View Post
    I was somewhat surprised that there was no chatter about the Anchorage Boat Show this weekend on the forum. Did any of you attend? I was not able to attend, and the folks I talked to that did attend said it was a quick trip trough the show. I am curious if those that did attend found any value in the show.

Tom
    I was impressed, it was only quick if you didn't stop and chat with anyone. AMDS had quite a bunch of boats to look at. I liked having used boats to look at. There were some great info from accessory folks as well. My grand daughter got face painted like a rabbit telling everyone "boing boing I'm a rabbit". I had no intention of buying a boat as I have one but you can never look at to many boats.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Not that many boats to look at but we wondered around for an hour or so. Looked at the new Kingfisher akmd had there any generally had a good time. Not bad for the first year of a new show.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Not bad of a show. Sucked not seeing any Wooldridge boats there again. Finally got to check out the Riddle Marine Motojet and talk to them about it some. Picked up new flares for the boat though. Decent trip to town I guess...
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Boat show lacked boats.... not too many at all.
    Managed to wander around for an hour but not what it was 10 years ago....no seasports, no wooldridges, no hughes ( stinking deweys), no bayliners, no lowes, no raiders, no ospreys, no olympics, no glaciercaft, no alumaweld, no jetcraft, no bayweld, no olympic, no armstrong, no whalers, no seadorys, etc.....

Otherwise.......espar was there!
    Bk

Burkeshore Marina will have a few Wooldridge boats at the Wasilla Sportsman's show this month. Wooly's are selling like hot cakes right now and current inventory is limited and production slots are limited for the 2015 season. Wooldridge boats are worth waiting for and it takes some planing and foresight to get a custom boat these days. Now is the time to get orders in to be on the water in 2016. See ya at the show.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    Not bad of a show. Sucked not seeing any Wooldridge boats there again. Finally got to check out the Riddle Marine Motojet and talk to them about it some. Picked up new flares for the boat though. Decent trip to town I guess...

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    Boat show lacked boats.... not too many at all.
    Managed to wander around for an hour but not what it was 10 years ago....no seasports, no wooldridges, no hughes ( stinking deweys), no bayliners, no lowes, no raiders, no ospreys, no olympics, no glaciercaft, no alumaweld, no jetcraft, no bayweld, no olympic, no armstrong, no whalers, no seadorys, etc.....

Bk
    bk - sounds like you needed to go to the Seattle show, all your boats above were there and more. We went and even got a tour of a 164 footer, the Astara (ex Eviva). That boat was spectacular, complete with helicopter and elevator! I was surprised they let us peons on board. Usually they reserve showings to serious buyers.

I got ripped on a bucket of shrimp bait...should have taken it back. I should have got the bucket from Donalsons instead. Spent maybe 20 minutes there. Was not impressed at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    I got ripped on a bucket of shrimp bait...should have taken it back. I should have got the bucket from Donalsons instead. Spent maybe 20 minutes there. Was not impressed at all.
    Don't ya mean you should have gotten it from Steve??????? :-)
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Wasn't Donaldsons the one selling the shrimp bait? In the back by the food area... I thought it was a good boat show. Better than the one at the Denina last year, which was like $12 to get in. Not sure why Deweys wasn't there, maybe cause they underpower all their boats? Not sure....

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post

I thought it was ok, checked out motors for a re-power this season. Biggest thing for me was that I was not aware of it until Thursday and by then had the weekend all planned out. More and earlier promotion would go a long way in bringing in more peep's. my .02

Quote Originally Posted by gpaul99 View Post
    Wasn't Donaldsons the one selling the shrimp bait? In the back by the food area... I thought it was a good boat show. Better than the one at the Denina last year, which was like $12 to get in. Not sure why Deweys wasn't there, maybe cause they underpower all their boats? Not sure....
    1st, there is no D in Donalson..http://www.donalsoncompany.net/ 2nd, no matter what your opinion of Dewey's may be, they display more boat and motor combinations twice per year indoors at the Northway Mall and for a longer period of time than anyone else in Alaska...and it is free! All considered, a thank you note to them might well be in order. If you feel their offerings are inadequately powered, the smart money bets they would be happy to help you with an upgrade. Remember all those horses eat whether they are pulling or not. I think they do a pretty good job getting a recreational boater on the water.

For being the first time for the show its was pretty good and thanks to everyone who stopped by. One lucky fellow picked up the North River Cuddy and I'll be sharing a ride during the King Salmon tournament this weekend. Should be allot of fun. Could have sold more if we had them available. The only way to get one at this time is in the L48 but you can order 2016 models at 2015 prices at this time at least. Debating on whether to order up a 25',27' or 29' for next year. What would folks prefer?

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post

Bk
    Yes he was and I'm glad I caught him. He said they will not be doing the Sportsman's show. The rep I spoke with seemed pretty knowledgeable and it looks like I'm going that route instead of Wallas this time around.

Quote Originally Posted by Garyak View Post
    1st, there is no D in Donalson..http://www.donalsoncompany.net/ 2nd, no matter what your opinion of Dewey's may be, they display more boat and motor combinations twice per year indoors at the Northway Mall and for a longer period of time than anyone else in Alaska...and it is free! All considered, a thank you note to them might well be in order. If you feel their offerings are inadequately powered, the smart money bets they would be happy to help you with an upgrade. Remember all those horses eat whether they are pulling or not. I think they do a pretty good job getting a recreational boater on the water.
    Maybe so if you are into that sort of thing. As much as I appreciate their quality offerings, I just can't get past their hideously unattractive lines but that's just me. That being said, you are absolutely right! They do put out quite a nice spread over at the Northway mall and every winter and should be commended for it. Never fails; when I have cabin fever I always find myself there, regardless of how HewesCraft boats show.

Tom,
    Regarding the espar, wise choice, you won't regret it. Plus he is selling them at a competitive price thru the remainded of the week.
    Build a hot box inline somewhere, dries gloves in mins and heats leftovers too!
    Bk

Quote Originally Posted by Garyak View Post
    Thanks for biting! hahaha. A thank you note? To Deweys? For what, underpowering most of their lot boats and poorly rigging custom setups? Ill get right on it.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by gpaul99 View Post
    Thanks for biting! hahaha. A thank you note? To Deweys? For what, underpowering most of their lot boats and poorly rigging custom setups? Ill get right on it.
    They certainly didn't underpower my boat.

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    They certainly didn't underpower my boat.
    My experience as well. The new owners seemed to have changed this practice. Last time I was there they had them powered much more appropriately and I've had great experiences dealing with them. Just my 2 cents.

Most all dealers anywhere grossly under power their package deal boats. They look far more attractive price wise to a tire kicker. They will gladly re-rig the boat with max rated hp for you. Imo all boats should be rigged WITH max hp. Far safer and often times better mpg in real world cruising speed with real world weights in the boat than running an underpowered rig at wot all day.

Far worse however is that most dealers will also toss that on top of the lightest trailer they can get away with. It will handle an empty boat and motor. No fuel. No gear. And no Alaskan size frost heaves on the road! There is no way alot of these package rig trailers will hold up to real Alaska use for more than a few years at best before they start bending and breaking. Tire issues from too much weight.

Two things Dad always said from the time I was a little boy. Max rated hp, no less. And double the gross weight rating of any trailer the dealer wants to stick under it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast