Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alaska Moose Federation Is atop Good To Be True

Default Alaska Moose Federation Is atop Good To Be True

In case you missed this excellent article by Rick Sinott..former AKDF&G biologist.

http://www.adn.com/article/20150314/...o-good-be-true

Wow Rick got all his jabs in there on that one! Thst read like a man that had a score to settle wrote it! Lol
    He's had some article I didn't really enjoy reading lately...
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

When I saw the ridiculous amount of money they paid for the trucks used to pick up road kill, I saw the writing on the wall. All that's needed is a tilt deck trailer and a winch.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

There's no such thing as an "excellent" article by Sinnott. However, if everything in the article is true, we haven't got "excellence" from AMF either. Time to spend money elsewhere.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

I'm not sure their expenditure of money from the state or their mission is sound. When they got that funding they went around to legislators saying SCI supported them. We learned that after the money was given. Needless to say we did not support their funding. I'm not sure if we were the only group that had that happen.

Brett

Quote Originally Posted by BrettAKSCI View Post
    I'm not sure their expenditure of money from the state or their mission is sound. When they got that funding they went around to legislators saying SCI supported them. We learned that after the money was given. Needless to say we did not support their funding. I'm not sure if we were the only group that had that happen.

Brett
    I'm not sure I'm buying your spin on this one either but apparently Bloomquist (co-founder of the New Alaska Chapter of North American Wild Sheep) is a great fan and contributor to the Moose Federation...and of SCI of course.

1. Legacy - Alaska Outfitters Unlimited

www.alaskaoutfittersunlimited.com/legacy.html

The Alaska Outfitters Unlimited Family is committed to leaving a legacy of ... SCI,Alaska Moose Federation, Sportsmen for Fish and Wildlife, and the NRA.

Sinnott's opinion of AMF is pretty well known- he's not pulled many punches over the years... that said- hard to refute the fact that AMF spent a whopping pile of cash and accomplished little of their mission no matter who tells it.

I usually don't like Sinnott's writing and him writing about some folks blowing through a wad of cash this big doesn't help it any.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Brett
    Might have been before you got to Alaska but all one has to do is a little google search to see SCI and Bloomquist supported AMF...so like I said I'm buying your spin; even though you say it's not so, that SCI didn't give the nod to legislature's to fund AMF.

http://www.outdoorsdirectory.com/akf...ting/16919.htm

Quote Originally Posted by tsunami View Post
    Might have been before you got to Alaska but all one has to do is a little google search to see SCI and Bloomquist supported AMF...so like I said I'm buying your spin; even though you say it's not so, that SCI didn't give the nod to legislature's to fund AMF.

http://www.outdoorsdirectory.com/akf...ting/16919.htm
    I do not personally agree with their financial expenditure or their mission. At the time they received funding which was before my evolvement with SCI, SCI did not support the funding they received from the state as I said before. Shall we argue my name next?

Brett

Shall we argue my name next?

Brett
    I don't know AKSCI is a really weird last name. LOL
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

Quote Originally Posted by JuliW View Post
    I don't know AKSCI is a really weird last name. LOL
    It's my madden name!

Oh....surrrrrre... Let's see the birth certificate!
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

Quote Originally Posted by JuliW View Post
    Oh....surrrrrre... Let's see the birth certificate!
    It's in Hawaii, but you can't see it!

I'm not sure who Tsunami is but thanks for plugging my website! I (Aaron Bloomquist), don't generally spend too much time posting here unless my name is brought up or there is a really compelling discussion. I have supported dozens of hunter/conservation organizations through volunteer time, donations, etc. Alaksa Moose is one of them. They even contracted me a couple times to do habitat work, write permits, and help establish the road kill program. I generally agree with the concept of moose abundance, improved habitat, etc. The road kill program is also valuable from a public safety standpoint in that it frees up lots of law enforcement time and keeps people from butchering moose in traffic. I have heard that the LE hours saved, if monetized would pay for the program. All that said, half or more of the programs attempted by AK Moose have been complete boondoggles and there is, no doubt, a bunch of disgruntled people left in the wake. I was unaware of the legal settlements raised in the article except one and I am staying with the plaintiff of that suit while I am in Anchorage this week. Obviously it was not a bridge burned by me. It is too bad AMF has not been managed better over the years because it could have been a great group with support from a wide range of other organizations. I have heard there is a new executive director and I hope he is successful. I guess I should apologize to Brett for knocking SCI ten years ago (the link above), I guess I had a beef at the time? It is always interesting how things come full circle. Keep plugging that website!

It did not or should not have taken a Rick Sinnott article to point out that the AMF was a boondoggle organization. I've always felt that the moose roadkill program was a good idea, but could be accomplished so much cheaper....

The whole calf petting pen idea and the "grow more moose" philosophy is a bunch of hoakum they used to bilk the .gov for public money. I'd like to see them pay it back in part by turning over the fleet of equipment they bought back to the State and let the State contract someone who will perform the moose roadkill service at a reasonable cost. JM 2 cents

Sorry about the typo in the thread title. Darn autocorrect and forum rules preventing an edit past a short time window.

Quote Originally Posted by dkwarthog View Post
    It did not or should not have taken a Rick Sinnott article to point out that the AMF was a boondoggle organization. I've always felt that the moose roadkill program was a good idea, but could be accomplished so much cheaper....
    The roadkill pickup program is a winner, but it should have been out for bid with tow companies and others with trucks, not an exclusive grant to AMF.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

Where can I sign up for the salvage program?

Call the State Troopers post nearest to you. They will put you on the right track.

The road kill program was a good thing and kept people much safer than the old way, however it should have stayed with the critters going to nonprofit/food banks rather than anyone that signs up for it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast