Thread: Resurrection Pass

Default Resurrection Pass

Will be hiking Resurrection starting from Hope side in 3 weeks. Does anyone know what elevation the snow is currently at? I have never gone over this early in the year.

Thanks!

4 friends from our Outdoor Club just hiked into Juneau Falls cabin. No snow down low, and not much up higher. They pulled a sled behind them with supplies on it.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Suggest you monitor the DOT highway cameras located in Summit Lake area and Turnagain Pass area.

Today there is 1/4" of snow at sea level in the Hope, Alaska area. Not likely it will still exist tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Clifford King View Post
    Will be hiking Resurrection starting from Hope side in 3 weeks. Does anyone know what elevation the snow is currently at? I have never gone over this early in the year.

Thanks!
    im not sure how the snow is but I bet you should be worried more about ice. We were up a few weeks ago and barely survived with our yak tracks

Quote Originally Posted by kevin476 View Post
    im not sure how the snow is but I bet you should be worried more about ice. We were up a few weeks ago and barely survived with our yak tracks
    Try micro spikes. I got mine at REI. Haven't found anything better. I hiked on a glacier with them last summer while goat hunting.

I wear calk boots all winter. One pair is made by Hoffman is a Pack type boot with felt liners. I have to replace about 1/2 of the calks every year.

http://www.hoffmanboots.com/category.aspx?categoryID=13

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    I wear calk boots all winter. One pair is made by Hoffman is a Pack type boot with felt liners. I have to replace about 1/2 of the calks every year.

http://www.hoffmanboots.com/category.aspx?categoryID=13
    I have a pair of Vikings with the screw in calks. Pretty handy, but not cheap.

I also have a pair of Viking CALK boots, the orange ones with the steel toe.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeRoss View Post
    I have a pair of Vikings with the screw in calks. Pretty handy, but not cheap.

A friend just hiked through, last week, and said it was crunchy underfoot on day 1 and then 7"+ and trail drifts at Devils on day 2. Easy going, then type II fun for a while, before dropping back into easy going.

3 weeks from now? Probably as posted above- just need something to grip the ice if necessary, and a good attitude.

Thank you for the solid info. Unless there is a dump between now and then, I do not think snow shoes are going to be necessary. will post a follow up report of the hike for any who may wander onto this thread after my trip.

Quote Originally Posted by Clifford King View Post
    Thank you for the solid info. Unless there is a dump between now and then, I do not think snow shoes are going to be necessary. will post a follow up report of the hike for any who may wander onto this thread after my trip.
    It sounds like they have got a bit of snow up high. I have the Devils pass cabin soon so please let me know how your trip goes.

Default Resurrection Trail conditions

Quote Originally Posted by kevin476 View Post
    It sounds like they have got a bit of snow up high. I have the Devils pass cabin soon so please let me know how your trip goes.
    I finished the trail Friday 3/27. Snowshoes were needed above tree line. Nobody had gone through for a few weeks and there was no packed trail up high. You might get by without but it's risky. We definitely wouldn't have made it through without them. The wind up there obscures the trail really quickly anyway. Spikes or creepers are also needed. The ice screws you can screw into your regular hiking boots work also but bring extra and a nut driver to replace those you lose.

Thanks Otega. This was the report I was looking for. I will pack snowshoes and trail crampons. Even if I dont use them, I will feel better taking them just in case. (Not screwing anything into my boots!!!)

Were juneau and trout lake still frozen solid or is there any sign of rot in the ice yet? Wondering if I could cut through the ice with an axe and hand saw to perhaps do some ice fishing.

Kevin, I will give you a report of the hike upon return. Will take pics, if any of them turn out nice, will share them here.

I was at the Juneau Lake cabin 2 weekends ago, and the ice was at least a foot thick. I tried chopping through with the pulaski from the cabin and gave up after 10-12 inches- still felt really solid.

Hike was great, but doubt I will ever go all the over that early in the year again.

Day 1 was mostly sunny with occasional broken cloud coverage. Hiked 7 miles from trail-head in Hope to Caribou Creek cabin in mostly mud and a few small snow patches. Lots of game sign, but no critters witnessed.

Day 2 was mostly sunny and a bit cooler temps. Hiked 7.5 miles across mostly snow and ice to East Creek Cabin with a couple stops for photos and lunched at Fox Creek Cabin. No traction devices needed although there were a couple sections that snow shoes would have made easier to cross but we just post holed it. Wolf tracks, lynx tracks, and tons of black and brown bear track, but no actual sightings. Huge numbers of grouse everywhere.

Day 3 woke up to a inch of fresh snow and temps in low teens with clouds socked in around us. Considered turning back to Hope but by the time we had breakfast and were packed up, the skies cleared and it was a beautiful cold day. Walked about 1/2 a mile before donning snow shoes. Fresh small and large game tracks everywhere but no actual sightings. Fresh wolf tracks were unnerving. More grouse everywhere up to tree line. By the time we reached the Resurrection Pass sign post the weather had turned to dark clouds, strong winds and light snow. We considered this to be beyond the point of no return and marched on for Devill Pass Cabin to have lunch. About 500 yards after the Res Pass signpost, we were hit with a small spring snow storm and it was an absolute whiteout for about an hour. Traveled from one clump of willow or alder to the next in knee deep snow not able to locate the actual trail. Lunched in Devill Pass cabin and were preparing to hunker down for night to ride out the snow but with a few hours of daylight left the skies broke again and the view all the way down the valley was majestic. Unable to maintain trail due to snow turned what should have been a 4 mile hike to Swan Lake cabin into a little over 5.5. Ptarmigan were thick in this stretch and I lost count after an hour. Slept hard that night. 12.5 mile day total.

Day 4 - Woke up with slight chest cold and decided to head the way to highway instead of spending night in Trout Lake cabin. Hiked 14 miles under mostly beautiful conditions.Lunched at Juneau Falls. Last couple miles of trail were horribly rutted out from cycles and pretty much a soupy mud pit making walking a little bit of a chore, and had light snow flurries for the last mile. Hitch hiked to sunrise inn and slept like a rock after a few beers.

All in all a terrific trip. My 8th or 9th time over this pass. Will not hike it that early in the year again. I prefer to do this one in shorts with light shoes at summer solstice.

How do I add pictures on here?

Very Nice Report.......good to hear about bears tracks.