Thread: Wide Load regulations (stop at all weigh stations)

Default Wide Load regulations (stop at all weigh stations)

I just applied for my wide load permit for my boat (9'-6"). I called the state office and got the permit from them over the phone to make sure I was getting the right one. In the regulations it states you have to stop at all weigh stations. I haven't had a wide load permit for a couple years (smaller boat) so I am curious, is this something new?

I hauled a boat 10'6" beam from New Jersey to Washington state in Nov. I was permitted and never stopped at a weigh station, not absolutely sure about AK but I think as long as it is for personal use recreation and not a commercial trucker you don't need to stop.

No it is not new and yes you have to stop at all OPEN weigh stations.

I have had a permit the last three years and have yet to see an "open" weight station. With that said I was told by the DOT that all they want is for you to stop and bring your permit for them to check. They might also check the weight rating of your hitch and truck as well.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

How much they charge? Was it a seasonal permit?

NO charge at the weigh station. It is nice to see what your boat and trailer actually weigh.

Fee Schedule (Still Current) http://dot.alaska.gov/mscve/permits/...ermit_Fees.pdf

Single move $35.00

I month $75.00

1 year $ 500.00

I usually get the 6 month permit for $350, If I get it on May 1st its good until the end of October which just about covers the season.

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

yes you need to stop at all open weigh stations and you better have all the goodies they want you to have. Stop & Slow signs, red breakdown triangles, orange vest, flares etc etc. They don't always ask for them but all you need is the women that checked me once and know why.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

I get frustrated with the charter operators who leave the 'oversize' signs on their truck all summer even when not pulling the boat. I see what looks like a pilot car coming at me with the oversize sign, and I move my Kenworth towards the shoulder only to have someone cruise by in his F350 and no oversize load. The fine for this is quite large, but I have not heard of anyone actually being fined for it.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    yes you need to stop at all open weigh stations and you better have all the goodies they want you to have. Stop & Slow signs, red breakdown triangles, orange vest, flares etc etc. They don't always ask for them but all you need is the women that checked me once and know why.

Steve, where can I get a list of the items you have to have., Its not on the permit, other than just a wide load sign on front/back and the strobe. 5 years ago I had a bayliner 25/56 and had to wide load it. i never stopped at any weigh stations (didn't know I needed to) and never had any cop pull me over. Just thought it might be new in the last 5 years?

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeRoss View Post
    I get frustrated with the charter operators who leave the 'oversize' signs on their truck all summer even when not pulling the boat. I see what looks like a pilot car coming at me with the oversize sign, and I move my Kenworth towards the shoulder only to have someone cruise by in his F350 and no oversize load. The fine for this is quite large, but I have not heard of anyone actually being fined for it.
    Good point!

My permit has not had a requirement for a beacon in a couple years.

JR2

Not sure what permit you have been using but my permits for many, many years (10'Wide boat) says " Must have a roof-mounted (or mounted at roof height) rotating or flashing amber beacon."

Quote Originally Posted by mykle1 View Post
    Steve, where can I get a list of the items you have to have., Its not on the permit, other than just a wide load sign on front/back and the strobe. 5 years ago I had a bayliner 25/56 and had to wide load it. i never stopped at any weigh stations (didn't know I needed to) and never had any cop pull me over. Just thought it might be new in the last 5 years?
    the overzealous woman scale nazi asked me for all those things when i pulled into the scales back when i had my bowpicker, i'm sure if you called one of the scales or asked at the DOT office in town they would let you know.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

I have operated a pilot car business for oilfield moves in the past. When the time comes to direct traffic, and use the stop/slow paddles, you do it by getting out of the vehicle. Not by waving them out the window. You also must be wearing hi-viz clothing. It's all there in the regs, if you just take the time to look them up and read them. The reason flaggers are required to take a course is because flagging traffic is a job that if done incorrectly can be very expensive to the company or person who makes a mistake. Don't get sued.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

What is the width limit before a permit is required?

Greater than 8'6" requires a permit.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    Greater than 8'6" requires a permit.
    Thanks Spoiled One