Thread: Yukon Trip Planning Advice?

Default Yukon Trip Planning Advice?

My dad has long dreamed of hunting moose on the Yukon. Finally, we bit the bullet and partnered on a 22' North River Commander. Now we need to plan our trip.

Although we're both experienced Alaskan outdoorsmen, neither of us has run a boat on the Yukon before. Dad's in his late 60s now, and I really want to make sure we get out and adventure while he is still mobile, sharp, and eager. Though we'll be after a moose, my primary goal is to make sure that our trip is well-planned, enjoyable, and without any major issues that could have been avoided through good planning.

Any insight you guys could provide would be deeply appreciated. To be clear, I'm not asking where the critters are. Rather, I'm wondering about things like the following:

- Land use. I know there is a lot of Doyon, village corp., and other Native land along the river. Are there good areas for camping, or does a guy really have to plan to sleep in the boat at night? And are islands and gravel bars included in Native land claims and allotments? Does a guy need to call ahead to get permits to access land? Is that even an option?

- Gear. Are there one or two items of gear that you find to be particularly critical while running the Yukon?

- Gas. Anybody know if there is gas in Steven's Village or Beaver?

- Crowds. If a guy hunts east of the bridge on the Dalton, does it get crowded? If so, any tips on how to avoid other parties?

- Etiquette. Any particular river etiquette we should keep in mind beyond typical boating/hunting etiquette?

Any other advice/suggestions you folks might suggest for a safe, fun, (hopefully successful) Yukon hunt would be deeply appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by AK_Kid View Post
    My dad has long dreamed of hunting moose on the Yukon. Finally, we bit the bullet and partnered on a 22' North River Commander. Now we need to plan our trip.

Although we're both experienced Alaskan outdoorsmen, neither of us has run a boat on the Yukon before. Dad's in his late 60s now, and I really want to make sure we get out and adventure while he is still mobile, sharp, and eager. Though we'll be after a moose, my primary goal is to make sure that our trip is well-planned, enjoyable, and without any major issues that could have been avoided through good planning.

Any insight you guys could provide would be deeply appreciated. To be clear, I'm not asking where the critters are. Rather, I'm wondering about things like the following:

- Land use. I know there is a lot of Doyon, village corp., and other Native land along the river. Are there good areas for camping, or does a guy really have to plan to sleep in the boat at night? And are islands and gravel bars included in Native land claims and allotments? Does a guy need to call ahead to get permits to access land? Is that even an option?

- Gear. Are there one or two items of gear that you find to be particularly critical while running the Yukon?

- Crowds. If a guy hunts east of the bridge on the Dalton, does it get crowded? If so, any tips on how to avoid other parties?

- Etiquette. Any particular river etiquette we should keep in mind beyond typical boating/hunting etiquette?

Any other advice/suggestions you folks might suggest for a safe, fun, (hopefully successful) Yukon hunt would be deeply appreciated.
    East of the bridge is upriver?
    My experience is only down river...way down river. If you decided to look at way down river as an option let me know and I can help as much as my limited experience can help.

As with Mr Yukon, I have down river experience up the Koyukuk. I think regardless of you direction, just do your homework. Tips - cash is king, when in doubt, have cash. Etiquette, water etiquette is the same. Always know were your camping/hunting, be mindful of location and native lands. Leave no trace.

Tip - know your fuel consumption and refueling options. Plan on $7 plus per gal, even with lower fuel prices, plan on $7ish plus. FUEL SEPERATOR!!! Trust me, rebuilding your fuel system on the side of the river isn't fun. (I read this in a book &#128540

Search my my name and you'll see a story or two... Good luck and it's an awesome trip if you do your homework.
    Tony

If you send me some contact information, I have a friend that just took the trip to our village this past summer/fall. HE took his time and plotted sandbars and what not. He also carried quite a bit of fuel.

Gear-Some sort of pole or paddle to get you off sandbars.

Crowds? I am more than 400 miles down river from the Fairbanks area and we get road guys down our way during moose season. We also get a lot of guys from down river coming up.

My understanding of camping, I don't think people will care where you camp. It is the hunting that would give you concern.

Shot you a PM. Respond if you like.

Quote Originally Posted by AK_Kid View Post

Default stay home

Quote Originally Posted by 375ultramag View Post
    Shot you a PM. Respond if you like.
    It is muddy buggy, rainy and cold, plus your boat sucks. Stay home. Gas is $20 per gallon and there s no good hunting. Use a motor home and be comfortable.

Oldtime Alaska Father

Feel free to PM me as well. I have some fuel consumption numbers for you if your running the 350/212 combo.