Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cabin floors

Default cabin floors

Since there was the interesting thread on cab interiors that was all about cabin interior wall materials... I'm asking about flooring. What do you folks use? We have plywood subfloor & i'm thinking about staining it- to help keep dust down & make for easier cleaning. I'm not really sure what to use though, I dont want it slick- just cleanable. Our handyman told me I'd have to sand the entire thing really well- I don't know about that. Upstairs- I think I may put carpet squares, to help keep the noise down- kids dragging camp chairs & dogs nails on that plywood is plenty loud.

b/t/w our cabin is on a river & the sand & silt are almost impossible to keep up with.

What are you guys doin about your floors?

Painting the floor is popular. Seen plenty with laminate also. I'd stay away from linoleum as it gets slick with icy boots and doesn't hold up too well to the temp variations a cabin see's.
    Carpeting remnants or used on the bedroom floors works great. Same with main room where couch is. Just keep it away from woodstove area.
    A chunk outside and inside the main door will collect a lot of the dirt also, make sure they are small enough you can shake them out easily.
    Don't over think it, its a cabin!

A quick search will pull a couple threads on these topics from the past.
    Bk

I painted ours with epoxy paint. Worked great, holds up to anything, and easy to clean.

To help keep the sand and small rocks out, I use an astro turf like door mat, out side and inside the door, brush the boots on both and it really helps keeping the floors cleaner. I just used the painted wood steps up to a tile floor, cleans easy and can repaint easily.

I have a boot brush outside the door, pretty much takes anything off of what you are wearing on your feet.
    JOHN

I used a floor paint that they sell at SBS and works great. This summer in the area of the front door I am going to use some marine paint that has sand grit in it so it is not so slippery. We also tend to use a number of different rugs or remnants of carpet so they can go outside and get shook.

I used a linoleum floor in mine. I went to Lowes and had them cut the exact dimensions of my cabin. One bucket of glue, and rolled it out in the morning. I looks like a wood floor, and is very easy to sweep. I keep a boot brush outside, a good mat inside, and a boot trough for snow melt. Very cheap compared to wood floors or laminent, but better looking that OSB sub floor. Just dump the glue on top of sub floor, spread around with a roller, and you have a good looking floor.

Joe

Ours are just painted, plywood subfloor's but, last fall I went to a local saw mill and purchased a bunch of rough cut 1" x 6" Spruce. I stacked it all in the garage with stickers in between each layer to cure/dry over the winter. My plan is to either lightly sand or plane the top surface, just enough to take down the roughness, then put it in with Liquid Nails (to eliminate squeaks) and cut nails for a rustic look. Then I'll just coat it with some sort of sealer, which I haven't decided on yet. I figure some flooring store should be able to help me out with that.

That sounds like a neat way to go,If it would not use to much of your lumber it would look good to cut every other board down some so that you had two different sizes. Also you might want to check the Liquid nail on the paint to make sure that it does not have any effect .

in the state seperated from the lower 48 by Canada

The main living area of the cabin, and guest cabin floors are painted with 'Shark Bite' deck paint from a local source. Very easy to refresh and it does not hold water. Easy to clean. The areas at doors have fine silica sand mixed with the paint to give it some traction.
    The kitchen has 'free' Craigslist oak flooring.
    The upstairs has 'free' Craigslist engineered Brazilian cherry.

I used this:
    http://www.lumberliquidators.com/ll/...RTR3S/10008056
    Haven't laid it down yet, but been sitting for 2 winters aclimating. Real wood all the way through, and should be pretty durable.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

We used epoxy and it works great!

I have a small dry cabin, carpet squares are great and so are rems, it helps keep the floor warmer, is cheap and easy to replace if needed. I second the need for a boot brush at the door.
    I have such a hard time trying to decide which outdoor activity to do every chance I get!! Living in AK is a mental challenge

The thick floating vinyl works great. Cut it lay it and leave it. Usually can find wood or tile patterns. I know carpet world on the Parks sells it. Laminate works well in areas where there is no water issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by AK Troutbum View Post
    Ours are just painted, plywood subfloor's but, last fall I went to a local saw mill and purchased a bunch of rough cut 1" x 6" Spruce. I stacked it all in the garage with stickers in between each layer to cure/dry over the winter. My plan is to either lightly sand or plane the top surface, just enough to take down the roughness, then put it in with Liquid Nails (to eliminate squeaks) and cut nails for a rustic look. Then I'll just coat it with some sort of sealer, which I haven't decided on yet. I figure some flooring store should be able to help me out with that.
    I just finished up the floors in our cabin a couple weeks ago and thought that I would post some photos. I'm really happy with the way they turned out, much nicer than what I had anticipated, and maybe even nicer than I wanted. Here are some before and after shots.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436551291.945447.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436551327.881409.jpg

Very nice!!!
    Would like that in my place but the dog would have them all scratched in no time.

Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    Very nice!!!
    Would like that in my place but the dog would have them all scratched in no time.
    Thanks Drifter. I'm actually okay with scratches. When I first decided to put flooring in, I wanted it to be total rustic (kind of old west style) to match the rest of the cabin. The wood is Sitka Spruce, harvested off of Kodiak, so it's soft and easily scratched/dented, etc. I wasn't really planning on them to turn out as nice looking as they did, but the bottom line is, it's a cabin and I think that the floors getting beat up a little only adds to the character of it. We have a dog too and we don't take our shoes off inside. When I planed the wood down there were quite a few places where the planer just barely touched, so these areas are still a little rough, but not so much that you would get a splinter if you did walk on them barefoot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast