Thread: Rivers west gear

Default Rivers west gear

Who uses rivers west gear? I've tried it on and think it's going to be very nice, I know a couple that have used it and swear by it. Anyone try the ambush bibs? I don't know if I would like the ranger set or ambush more

I have some and don't really like it. It is waterproof like they claim however the stuff is worse than wearing rubber rain gear, it dosnt breathe at all and you'll get wetter from the inside than the outside. If you're not moving much and not working it is good for tree stands and still hunting but if you are hiking in it you'll sweat like crazy and be wet on the inside and once it gets wet on the inside because it dosnt breathe at all you'll stay wet.

yeah i heard they don't vent much, but i'm usually on a wheeler, and not hiking much. Or sitting on a bluff or wheeler glassing.

Also, if you are in a lot of rain they get water logged and become quite heavy and take forever to dry out.

1340 Rudakof Cr Anchorage, AK 99508 (Off Debarr & Bragaw across from Costco)

Quote Originally Posted by 0321Tony View Post
    I have some and don't really like it. It is waterproof like they claim however the stuff is worse than wearing rubber rain gear, it dosnt breathe at all and you'll get wetter from the inside than the outside. If you're not moving much and not working it is good for tree stands and still hunting but if you are hiking in it you'll sweat like crazy and be wet on the inside and once it gets wet on the inside because it dosnt breathe at all you'll stay wet.
    Just want to second this, I agree with Tony completely.
    Your Alaska Power Sports dealership carrying new & used Polaris, CFMoto, PitsterPro, Rokon, AlumaSki, Duras, Achilles, Tohatsu, Suzuki, Mercury, and Yamaha outboard motor parts. Join us on Facebook, Twitter, & Instagram.

(907) 337-2744
    1340 Rudakof Cr
    Anchorage, Alaska 99508
    www.alaskapowersports.com

Facebook https://www.facebook.com/pages/Marit...60433194054763
    Twitter https://twitter.com/MaritaSeaSki
    Instagram http://instagram.com/alaska_power_sports

well, what else is everyone using then< i want waterproof, windproof and warm

ive only had some older sportsmans gear and mad dog stuff, which gets wet and has 0 insulation value

Default Rivers west gear

If sitting or riding the Helly Hansen or Guy Cotten commercial raingear is the best. Commercial fishermen live in it. Certainly isn't stylish, quiet, or cool looking camo though.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by Rjusten View Post
    Rivers West is definitely waterproof, windproof and warm, but just as was mentioned before, if you plan to be hiking with it on...you will be soaked from the inside.

I fell for the hype and bought a set. Its fine gear if your idea of hunting equals not moving around very much.
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

I have had really good luck with helly Hansen impertech. Like the rivers West it dosnt breathe but you can at least take it off when it's not raining. As far as something breathable your going to have to go with gortex. I prefer a waterproof shell rather than a waterproof jacket just because I like to take my rain gear off if I don't need it. But that's me

I would only buy this stuff if you are planning on coming home each day and/or have some way to dry your stuff after a days hunt. You will not get it dry otherwise.
    It has some use, but (in my opinion) is totally useless for a multiple day hunt from a tent or camp as once it gets wet it gets very heavy and takes a good while to dry.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjusten View Post
    Another vote for HH Impertech. Waterproof and windproof, but "Warm" is going to come from the layers you wear underneath it.

We did a review of HH Impertech AT THIS LINK, if you are interested.

Also some of us used Rivers West raingear on a hunt with Outdoor Life Magazine one year, and the collective assessment was the same as you've read here. HH Impertech is a much better choice. You can watch our hunt AT THIS LINK, if you're interested. I was on board as the hunt planner.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

I wear Rivers West for the long ride into hunting area... Thats it! The pants get super heavy when wet. I have to walk holding my britches up. The water wicks its way inside the pant legs and now your not having fun. The jackets are warm and comfy but I am not a fan of magnetic pockets. They are loud as hell when your reaching for something.
    Ignorance is not Bliss, it's insanity