Thread: Kale

Default Kale

I was curious if anyone is going to grow kale?

Two years ago, I had good luck with kale here in Pa.
    Last year, it didn't take off good. So I planted a couple
    more rows later in the season.

I knew kale was capable of freezing and then thawing and
    then continue to grow. But I didn't realize that it could be frozen
    for months down to -13 and then grow again in the spring.
    I have a few plants left from last year (that the deer didn't eat)
    and it looks really healthy.

Kale is our favorite crop, as it's easy to grow and we LOVE kale chips. At least a quarter of our garden is kale, and we often harvest it long after the snow has fallen with great results. We've not let it re-grow in the spring - didn't know that was possible - but we sure do enjoy growing and eating it.

Kale is my favorite green. I especially like the Italian Lacinato variety. It grows almost effortlessly here in the interior, but it won't overwinter. I have picked it frozen solid at tempt well below zero tho, and it eats just fine. I put it in almost every type dish you can imagine.....but I'm not a fan of "kale chips".
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Anybody have any juice on the "bor" failures? Winterbor and Redbor have both suffered from their second crop failure in a row. I can't find any seeds for those. I haven't heard what's going on with those. Maybe it just takes a few generations to rebuild the stock of seeds after the first crop failure.

some times under the right conditions kale will survive the winter here but not often.

Quote Originally Posted by big_dog60 View Post
    some times under the right conditions kale will survive the winter here but not often.
    I think your version of "here" is a lot different than my version of "here". Virtually no domesticated vegetable of any kind survives the winter "here".
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    I think your version of "here" is a lot different than my version of "here". Virtually no domesticated vegetable of any kind survives the winter "here".
    If you are in the hills in the Tanana Valley Garlic and Asparagus both survive the winter, and we've had quite a few volunteer potatoes survive. Having very high quality soil (with lots of air voids) probably helps. I actually wouldn't be surprised if Kale would survive a mild winter with lots of snow.

Great garden snack
    Always have some growing , raw & cooked, good for you