Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone using chirp

Default Anyone using chirp

Was just curious if anyone up here is using chirp. I am going to give it a try. I am getting a chirp ducer for my 741xs and I am getting a 74sv so I can have side view and downview. I will still have traditional sonar as well. I will also have gps redundancy with the 74sv so I think it will be a good deal.
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

I'm using in on the Raymarine Dragonfly Downvision. Took a little getting used to, but really like it now.I think I see more in the way of defined fish marks and structure.

Make sure to let us know what you think of the chirp on the garmin. I just installed a new 840 in my boat but without the chirp transducer. I'd like to hear how well they work in pws and how deep before I bite the bullet for the high dollar transducer.

Quote Originally Posted by theultrarider View Post
    Make sure to let us know what you think of the chirp on the garmin. I just installed a new 840 in my boat but without the chirp transducer. I'd like to hear how well they work in pws and how deep before I bite the bullet for the high dollar transducer.
    Will let you know. I am not expecting the chirp to show bottom structure all that great, that is what I am hoping the down/side vu does. What I am hoping to get with the chirp is better fish marking.

MY buddy Ryno down here loves his Garmin Chirp, pretty sure it the 60 series unit he installed. I'm removing all my electronics here soon and upgrading to the new Simrad NSS evo2 series with Chirp and structure scan. If I was installing new garmins I'd be going with the 51TH ducer.
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

I have the Simrad nso eve 2 and bsm3 system on my boat in Seward and my other in Hawaii. It is the most significant improvement in fish locating technology I have ever see. I can see bait and salmon. They look very different. The target discrimination is incredible.
    It takes some time to get the hang of using it but when it is right, its like cheating. Even more so in Hawaii.

Well worth the money if your goal is finding and catching fish.

Thanks for the input akcapt. Guess I need to break out another thousand for the transducers!

Thanks for the input akcapt. Guess I need to break out another thousand for the transducers!
    Depending on how you do the install you don;t have to run the pair to get sideview option. You can run one, dead center keel and it will handle it all.

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com

Quote Originally Posted by Abel View Post
    Depending on how you do the install you don;t have to run the pair to get sideview option. You can run one, dead center keel and it will handle it all.
    I always thought you weren't supposed to run a transom mount transducer centered on a boat with a single drive?

Quote Originally Posted by hoose35 View Post
    Will let you know. I am not expecting the chirp to show bottom structure all that great, that is what I am hoping the down/side vu does. What I am hoping to get with the chirp is better fish marking.
    Been running an Airmar SS175 1kw chirp transducer (medium freq - 85-135 khz) with the Garmin gsd26 sounder. It tracks bottom no problem even at speed, but I'm not 100% satisfied with its fish marking abilities. Am still jacking with the settings and am not sure I have them right, but honestly I thought it would be better. It is mounted dead center in the hull since that's where the original thru-hull was. Would like to get the high freq to go with it, but they are spendy and require another 4" hole... Of course, right after we installed it, they came out with the downvu/sidevu stuff.

I always thought you weren't supposed to run a transom mount transducer centered on a boat with a single drive?
    Thru hull, this one is what i would run...

http://www.thegpsstore.com/Garmin-GT...gle-P4341.aspx If you go go thru hull and can mount on the keel you only need the one ducer.

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com

Spending the money on the right transducer makes a huge difference! I have a 3Kw 'ducer on both boats. The thing is larger than a loaf of bread

I ran across the Raymarine Wi-Fi SH CHIRP Down Vision ( http://www.raymarine.com/view/?id=11201 ) the other day, which allows you to use your iPad as the screen. I already use an iPad for my chart plotter, and for under 200 bones, I don't think I can say no for this up coming season. The screens are big and clear, plus I keep all my manuals and regulations saved, so adding a secondary FishFinder with what it offers would be be sweet. Awesome technology!
    ~Beer Drinkin don't do half the harm of love makin~. Old New England Proverb
    * 1991 24' Almar Jetline Cabin-cruiser * 2004 16' Lund * 1955 17' Grumman Canoe
    - MMSI# 338169948

I put a garmin 1041xs in my boat last year with a 1 KW transducer. It was a spendy setup, but I am very pleased with the definition and clarity of the targets and the bottom. No complaints here.

Quote Originally Posted by MUTTLEY View Post
    I ran across the Raymarine Wi-Fi SH CHIRP Down Vision ( http://www.raymarine.com/view/?id=11201 ) the other day, which allows you to use your iPad as the screen. I already use an iPad for my chart plotter, and for under 200 bones, I don't think I can say no for this up coming season. The screens are big and clear, plus I keep all my manuals and regulations saved, so adding a secondary FishFinder with what it offers would be be sweet. Awesome technology!
    How deep does this unit work with that definition. Is it as clear as it shows on the pictures

I'm using the 741xs with the airmar B175L and have had amazing results with it. I can easily mark baitfish and individual fish all through the water column. Running 28kts across Clarence straight it doesn't lose bottom (1500+ft).

I have the Garmin 4010 with the GSD24. I love the ability to see 600' down at 30mph, iths the only one I ahve ever had that can do that. My buddy has the GSD26 chirp and he swears by it. He said he can see the rope on his shrimp pot all the way down to the pot itself. It's twice the price as the 24 but I can see myself upgrading. If you can see the detail he is claiming, its a no-brainier.

I really like my 1040 I picked up last year.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JriKKca3RLU
    Tony

Just to update this thread. I have everything installed. The side view and down view show pretty incredible structure detail. The chirp transducer seems to mark fish much better than the old transducer although I have only used it in Whittier. I'm curious to see the results in a more fishy area like Seward or Homer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast