Thread: Whittier snow conditions

Default Whittier snow conditions

Was in Whittier today and swung by the boat parking area to see how much snow was there. Zip. And no snow in town. If there was a good spring to get out early and not have to worry about where to park your trailer, this is it. And absolutely no ice on Portage Lake. Never seen that this time of year.

Definetly an interesting winter. Hope we don't have a really really bad forest fire year this year.
    On that note there is a webcam to check if you are interested in checking conditions in Whittier http://www.cliffsidemarina.org/web-cams/

Quote Originally Posted by Seafish View Post
    Definetly an interesting winter. Hope we don't have a really really bad forest fire year this year.
    On that note there is a webcam to check if you are interested in checking conditions in Whittier http://www.cliffsidemarina.org/web-cams/
    It wouldn't hurt here on the peninsula to have a few more fires. We're still in need of more burns for moose habitat, I'd love to see more moose down here like there used to be.

There is a storm warning for Whittier starting tomorrow for 5-18 inches of snow... check the web cam before you go. I was thinking of going out next weekend if the forecast is good. Go troll for some kings and maybe go for a hike and look for a early bear.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

With all the money that they will be saving on snow removal, they should have the gravel parking lot nice and smooth, eh?
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Ha. Fat chance of anything like that ever happening. We pay good money for those potholes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

I heard they were going to pave that parking lot.... with broken trailer springs and ground up flat tires.

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

This year reminds me of 1985, no snow and warm all winter - until March. Then 9 ft. of snow in 3-4 days in Whittier. Just wait, it can still happen.

Oh I know it can still happen, just hoping it doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Fish Witch View Post
    This year reminds me of 1985, no snow and warm all winter - until March. Then 9 ft. of snow in 3-4 days in Whittier. Just wait, it can still happen.
    I remember March 17, 2002 when Anchorage got a record 26" snowfall....except for my neighborhood with its little micro climate that is colder when its cold, hotter when its hot and deeper when it snows. I had 35".

And then there was the year with the rock slide in the spring when you couldn't drive to Whittier.

Never, ever count winter out, or the Whittier factor
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Unbelievable day on the water. Ramp was clear, parking was wide open ,and the water was glass. Direct sunlight all day was icing on the cake. Definitely the time for an early getaway on the water before the crowds show up.

Quote Originally Posted by cavokak View Post
    Unbelievable day on the water. Ramp was clear, parking was wide open ,and the water was glass. Direct sunlight all day was icing on the cake. Definitely the time for an early getaway on the water before the crowds show up.
    Yup, some of the best days on the water in PWS are late winter/early spring. This picture was taken years ago in March/early April coming back from a back country ski trip for my son and his friends.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mid April is the earliest I have ever been out for a season, but have experienced the best and most beautiful days then. Although I have been pounded by big snow a few times and come into the harbor with a nice coating of ice on everything then too. Hit or miss, but when you hit it right, it can be glorious!

Quote Originally Posted by JR2 View Post
    There is a storm warning for Whittier starting tomorrow for 5-18 inches of snow... check the web cam before you go. I was thinking of going out next weekend if the forecast is good. Go troll for some kings and maybe go for a hike and look for a early bear.
    Did you go out King fishing? If so, please report and include coordinates of any hookups.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Yes. Please provide all King intell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Might go tomoww for the day, just depends on weather and time.

Wonder when Ester releases, Hurd from a buddy it's killer king fishing outside the hatchery when they do. He was thinking time in April.
    Uncovered the boat today, going to snow 4 feet now
    First week in April for overnight shake down cruise, last 8 years.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.