Thread: Pre derby tune up! March King

Default Pre derby tune up! March King

Wow. Hard to believe. Decided I better go check out Homer prior to the winter derby. I've never caught a king in March...kayak or powerboat.

Went one for two in four hours. Chilly but sun felt good. 30 ft down in 60 ft of wTer on green label herring.

This fish makes it 7 consecutive months I've caught a king off my kayak!! It's amazing to me that we have such an opportunity!!!!

AlaskaKayakFisher.com
    Guidesak.blogspot.com
    My personal pages...I'm not a guide.

Nice work in any boat! Looks like a beautiful day to be on the water!

Nice one! Little chilly out there today I heard!
    See you in a week!
    Same offer as always, if you guys get jammed up out there give us a shout! Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice fish and a beautiful day

Thanks all. Having called Alaska home since 1971, its incredible to me that I don't have to ice fish this time of year. Yah, global warming, but these kayaks are the cat's meow! 60 bucks in gas car topping it on a civic from Anchorage. No launch fees. No gas fees, AND it catches fish. Would not be nearly as successful off a powerboat because between the fuel costs and finding partners to help with launch, I just wouldn't get out as much.

I hear the salmon are hitting herring and large hooligan offshore. Lots of bait clouds on sonar near the spit I think they are tiny sand lances as I pulled a bunch out of the king.

Attached Images Attached Images

nice job kardinal 84 ! i also have a question for you. i have a 20 ft power boat with twin 50 hp yamahas on it. it is more of a lake boat that i have tried to set up the best i can for the salt but i am very intimidated by the water and weather we have up hear.so wondered if it would p.o. you guys to have a smaller power boat fishing around your areas near the spit. so a guy could just jump back in the harbor if the wind kicked up.i dont see alot of guys fishing with smaller boats that near the harbor when i have been down there. maybe because they are not as freaked out on the water as me or maybe there is much better fishing not to much farther away ??? any ideas or advice/insight would be great .

Quote Originally Posted by mud dawg View Post
    nice job kardinal 84 ! i also have a question for you. i have a 20 ft power boat with twin 50 hp yamahas on it. it is more of a lake boat that i have tried to set up the best i can for the salt but i am very intimidated by the water and weather we have up hear.so wondered if it would p.o. you guys to have a smaller power boat fishing around your areas near the spit. so a guy could just jump back in the harbor if the wind kicked up.i dont see alot of guys fishing with smaller boats that near the harbor when i have been down there. maybe because they are not as freaked out on the water as me or maybe there is much better fishing not to much farther away ??? any ideas or advice/insight would be great .
    Heck, C'mon out! You certainly won't be bothering anyone I know of! Certainly not me!!! We like seeing boats around for safety and other boats make great fish finders. We have no issue fishing around power boat and wakes and stuff. The reason you don't see powerboats I think is if you can get around the corner of the spit, you can pretty much go elsewhere if ya like. Watching the weather it seems to have a lot of North and East component to it, that exposes the harbor mouth. The area I fish is pretty sheltered so if you like to take it easy and stay out of the big swells, its a good spot. I think if I had a powerboat, and it was decent weather but still want to play it safe, I;d shoot over to the Islands or by halibut cove. Just keep an eye out and when things start to change, ya gotta be able to make a quick decision.

So many more folks here have better knowledge, but if you wanted to stay close and have a shot, well I have caught enough fish to make it worth my while. I think the big difference is fishing hard, I have a shot at a fish every time out. But that's not good enough for charter boats or boats that need to limit 4 people. You gotta find better fishing for that. So if safe and slower fishing is ok until you get a feel for things, the spit is a possibility.

I have a write up for kayaks on the fishery off the homer spit. Got to http://AlaskaKayakFisher.com click on locations or Homer in the side bar. That page gives my general strategies. Imbedded is also my pollock avoidance solution that has a few more details in it. March one I couldn't keep the pollock off as the tide was falling. Saturday, I fished the incoming tide and didn't catch a single pollock. So ya never know unless ya go!

Report back on how ya do if you go!!! Good luck!!!

thanks for the response kardinal . i like the idea of being close to the harbor if the weather changes for the worst . not sure what you mean by if you can get around the corner of the spit . is that due to waves or current? i would love to be able to run over to halibt cove or the islands just dont want to get in a bind due to weather or getting stuck on sholes during tide changes not knowing the areas. we have fished out of deep creek with pretty good results but have often thought it would be nice to just be able to jump back in a harbor if need be. rather than to try and get loaded on the trailer at the tractor launch. they seem to give preferance to the bigger boats when there are several boat coming in all at once. loading with the tractors on the beach seams to be anywhere from no problem to down right sketchy.good luck this coming season and hope to see you on the water. we are always at the ready to help fellow boaters out of a jam if need be too!!!

"Corner of spit" = "Tip of the spit" It can be night and day difference in water conditions at the harbor mouth. at the very tip of the spit, and on the west side of the spit by the condos next to Lands End Hotel. It's both current and the wind.

As an example, I was fishing in fairly flat waters West of the spit. Then the tide turned against the wind and "pretty calm" went to this in about 15 minutes. You would NOT wanted to have to cross over from the Halibut Cove side as this kicked up. But all I had to do was tuck in closer to the condos and found flat water. But in the case of the powerboat, you would have had to "round the corner of the spit" to get back into the harbor and that wouldn't have been too much fun in a lake boat for example.
    https://youtu.be/9eY9jDrwLf8

I think your plan is a little conservative, but if you had to err one way, that's the correct way. Know that you ALWAYS have a chance on the west side of the spit. Longer hours between strikes but they are there. After a few times, you will get a feel for the weather. In some ways I think its scary in the summer as the water and air temp differential seems to creates some strong afternoon gusts. Winter and spring, if anything, it seems like it calms down in the afternoon. But now I am getting out of my area of expertise.

If you need any motivation to at least try the spit, here's a pic I generated to keep me motivated for April...though my GF says I don't need any additional motivation! lol. Good luck be safe!!!

Hey Rudy! Just wanted to say nice meetin ya the other day and congrats on the big kayak fish!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yah James!!! Pleasure meeting with Ya. I fished with Sean In the powerboat Sunday...zero take downs. I'm sticking to my kayak! Great meeting Ya!!!

AlaskaKayakFisher.com
    Guidesak.blogspot.com
    My personal pages...I'm not a guide.