Thread: Versatile/Flexable Cartridge & Gun combinations for Explorers......????

Default Versatile/Flexable Cartridge & Gun combinations for Explorers......????

This is "NOT" a survival gun thread. Although kind'a in the same general concept, but not exactly. The difference being that in a wilderness survival situation you goal is to be out of the wilderness ASAP.

This is more of a "walk'about".......wilderness wandering.......exploring application, with "NO" destination to get to. Not hiking a trail system, more just living and exploring a general area for a months or weeks. For sure "NOT" hunting, but maybe scouting an area.

So with that back round and the need to supplement your basic foods that you have earlier cached or are currently packing with small game and fish, we need some type of firearm for both defense and meat for the pot.

The firearm needs to be reliable, versatile, easy to carry, as quiet as possible when fired, and given those needs, it should be fairly light. Could be a handgun or a rifle or a shotgun. The firearm should accept a wide range of versatile ammo.

The goal of this thread is "NOT" inside the box thinking.........the goal is a long list of outside the box firearm suggestions. Think along the line of 30 to 45 days afield, with meat for the pot needed every-other day. There is "NO" perfect answer.......just looking for ideas.

12 GA shotgun. Mix of ammo in your pockets. Bird shot. Buckshot and slugs. Short barrel if weight is a concern. Kill birds and small game with birdshot. Defense against bear in the other pocket. Moose and bou for dinner if the need came to it. Not much you couldn't kill by switching up the ammo. Noise. Well. If you are in bush survival mode does it really matter?

I often carry single shot 12 ga. with AGUILA "Minishells". I shorten the barrel to 18 1/8" and install Chote survivor butt and forend stock. That is a good choice in my opinion. I have one that is 3 1/2" chambered.

Quote Originally Posted by theultrarider View Post
    12 GA shotgun. Mix of ammo in your pockets. Bird shot. Buckshot and slugs. Short barrel if weight is a concern. Kill birds and small game with birdshot. Defense against bear in the other pocket. Moose and bou for dinner if the need came to it. Not much you couldn't kill by switching up the ammo. Noise. Well. If you are in bush survival mode does it really matter?

Only thing better than a 12ga shotgun, that I can think of, is a over/under 12ga/.22 Hornet or 12ga/.22 mag.

When you say "meat for the pot", what do you mean? small game?

One of those Pak Rifles would be pretty sweet....lightweight, and converts to a fishing rod. I got to see a sample first hand the other day....definitely non-traditional, but seemed pretty well executed and suitable for most woods rambling adventures.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

The problem with the O/U rifle-shotgun is that it is too heavy and too large. With the "Minishotshells" the single shot works.

Quote Originally Posted by .338WM View Post
    Only thing better than a 12ga shotgun, that I can think of, is a over/under 12ga/.22 Hornet or 12ga/.22 mag.

Thinking a little more...how about a youth sized 20ga pump? Something like a Mossberg 510 or a 870 Compact?

Pretty light and about as small as functional pumps get. Modern 20ga ammo is no laughing matter either. I sometime pack my kid's 870 Compact on woods rambles for the errant grouse or bunny and a couple 3" #4 Buck or a couple slugs for stuff that goes bump after dark.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

I have several H&R "Topper" single shot 20 ga. and a few in 410. I like the versatility of the .410 with 2 1/2" shotshells and a few 3" loaded with five "000" Buck. The H&R survivor is a great choice with the flexibility of .45 Long Colt or 2 1/2" or 3" .410 out of the same barrel, it is light, easy to carry, flexible, and there is ample room in the handguard and buttstock for fishing gear and/or fire-starter stuff.

I do like the Remington 870 youth 20 ga. with the sights for slugs, in the laminated wood stock.

SADLY Remington is discontinuing the H&R single shot line of firearms. They are great cheap caching firearms. http://www.gunnuts.net/2007/11/26/hr...-rifle-review/

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    Thinking a little more...how about a youth sized 20ga pump? Something like a Mossberg 510 or a 870 Compact?

Pretty light and about as small as functional pumps get. Modern 20ga ammo is no laughing matter either. I sometime pack my kid's 870 Compact on woods rambles for the errant grouse or bunny and a couple 3" #4 Buck or a couple slugs for stuff that goes bump after dark.

Stoeger double barrel 12 gauge. Breneke slugs for 4 leggeds, birdshot for other. Breaks down small. reasonably lightweight, can use sub caliber devices available online for other gauges, 2 quick shots (professional hunters in Africa used/ use double barrel rifles for years), positive safety and speed of switching out ammo.

A better choice along that line is the CZ "Durango" (I have one in 12 ga. and wish it was 20 ga.) But for this application the double barrel firearm is UN-necessary, as a single barrel will work just fine, plus they are lighter and easier to carry.

Some other options that I use are the Ruger 44/77 with shotshells and bear loads. It is light (5 pounds) and very easy to carry.

By using the CCI center-fire shotshells many light weight (12.5 Ounce) handguns will work. I often carry only a J-frame or a Glock M-35. However the new G-40 will become my go to handgun with the use of .40 S&W CCI shotshell chambered and fired one at a time for grouse, wabbits, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by ulflyfish View Post
    Stoeger double barrel 12 gauge. Breneke slugs for 4 leggeds, birdshot for other. Breaks down small. reasonably lightweight, can use sub caliber devices available online for other gauges, 2 quick shots (professional hunters in Africa used/ use double barrel rifles for years), positive safety and speed of switching out ammo.

.300 Blackout. 220 gr subsonic with suppressor for quiet and close, 125gr. supers for almost .30/30 performance. Thompson Center Encore frame w/16" Bergara barrel. Legal in all aspects size wise, very handy to carry.

When I first started wondering the Alaska Wilderness solo (45 years ago) my primary firearm thinking was bear attack, that was the number one job that the firearm needed to handle. Now that function/application is way-way-way less than 2% of the firearms planned for need.

The primary need (at about 99.5% probable application) is grouse, ptarmigan, wabbits, and other meat sources where-in the animal can be eaten with-in two days.

The Thompson Contender Pistol with two barrels or the .45 LC/.410 barrel would be my choice.

Quote Originally Posted by gbflyer View Post
    .300 Blackout. 220 gr subsonic with suppressor for quiet and close, 125gr. supers for almost .30/30 performance. Thompson Center Encore frame w/16" Bergara barrel. Legal in all aspects size wise, very handy to carry.

Man yes...that .410 barrel would be handy too. Good call!

I question the "meat for the pot" comment. You just can't take off across Alaska and shoot animals every day for meat. We have seasons up here and the idea of placing yourself in need of meat to the F&G Troopers is not going to fly.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Well..........My goal is that half get eaten one day and the other half on the second day. so Hare, Squirrel, Pigeon, Coyote, Porcupine, etc. are "NO CLOSED SEASON" in many areas, and for sure open all year in my primary units of 7 & 15.

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    I question the "meat for the pot" comment. You just can't take off across Alaska and shoot animals every day for meat. We have seasons up here and the idea of placing yourself in need of meat to the F&G Troopers is not going to fly.

I expect and hope that the new Glock Model 40 will become my #1 choice for this application.