Thread: Barnes 225 tsx or nosler 250 for brown bear over bait 350 magnum

Default Barnes 225 tsx or nosler 250 for brown bear over bait 350 magnum

I am trying to figure out which would be better for a brown bear over bait. The shot is close the bears can be big on the Kenai Peninsula. Would the 25 grains extra on a partition do better because of the explosiveness of the nose coming off or would the barnes tsx in 225 do better to hold together at the close range of 25 yards. I think the gun is sufficient with either but as I was looking at the two bullets on my reloading bench I am starting to lean towards the barnes. They both shoot well in the rifle and it is a close shot Your thoughts

Either should do fine. Flip a coin.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by blackbear View Post
    I am trying to figure out which would be better for a brown bear over bait. The shot is close the bears can be big on the Kenai Peninsula. Would the 25 grains extra on a partition do better because of the explosiveness of the nose coming off or would the barnes tsx in 225 do better to hold together at the close range of 25 yards. I think the gun is sufficient with either but as I was looking at the two bullets on my reloading bench I am starting to lean towards the barnes. They both shoot well in the rifle and it is a close shot Your thoughts
    I've killed several brown bears with a .35 Whelen (ballistic twin to your .350) and a .358 Norma Magnum using the bullets you mention and I do not believe there is much to choose between them in your scenario. I might be inclined to select the NPT for the reason you mention, but that doesn't mean the TSX is the second best choice....
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Blindfold yourself and grab some ammo....
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I think at the range the muzzle blast is going to tip him over!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    I think at the range the muzzle blast is going to tip him over!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ha...!!! I was gonna say that at that range I've seen one shot from an 06' slam a 10'er to the ground never to move a muscle again. And it wasn't in the head.

Pick one and roll with it. There are staunch supporters of both slugs, but at the range you are talking about, I doubt very much that either would be a mistake.....

I gotta hand it to you though.....you had the balls to say those 4 evil words....."brown bear over bait." MY GOD MAN...!!! don't you know you're setting yourself up for a tar n' featherin' around here...???!!!.......lol
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Every one is distracted with sheep right now....
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

The NP was a great bullet in it's day, and is still a respectable bullet. But in my experience the TSX is better in that I've never seen one come apart in a brown bear whereas I have seen a NP (both out of 375's) come apart. The only downside to the TSX is that once the velocity drops to near and below 1800fps they don't expand very well, but then you shouldn't be shooting brown bears at long range anyway.

I would go with the tsx for closer range. Just a personal thing. If for no other reason, they make a great show piece when recovered from the animal.

You made a good choice in a riflecaliber.
    Now you have it narrowed down to 2excellent bullets.
    Personally I like the the TSX but Ihave no complaints at all with the partitions.
    Sounds to me like you make smart hunting choices but I am positive that the bear you chosewill not like any of your choices.

Good luck on your hunt

Jerry Jacques
    Master Guide 110