Thread: Avena Nuda?

Default Avena Nuda?

Anyone know of a seed source for hulless oats here instate?
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Have not heard of any myself, most nuda are late season and may not reach maturity. Tibor, Pennuda and Paul are high yield/acre but again real late. Might check Canada, they have 14 registered hulless oats varieties. Do you want to grow the for food or feed?

Primary intent is as cover crop on a patch of fallow ground, so full maturity isn't critical, but thought it would be nice to try some hulless in the event we get lucky and have a long season, then I might harvest some for the kitchen.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    #Resist

How about growing wheat? Better chance at a harvest and there's nothing like homemade bread from your own grain. Thought about the oats and another hulless that should be an easier find would be streaker. Think it's a 110 day grain. If you can get it in early you might get a crop. Harvest a little wet if you have to, bring it in and run some air over it.

Streaker is pretty easy to find Outside, and that's what I had my eye on. Wasn't sure if anyone was sourcing anything in AK tho. I think oats will do well on this particular site. Tho it's starting to come along, the soil's still on the poor, acidic side of the spectrum. I like to eat oats. Also, I think oats are just plain pretty to look at.
    #Resist

Maybe check the Alaska plant materials center. I don't know what all they produce, but it might be worth checking out.

IOT:

I don't know of any local source, and I am not sure of variety, but I do know people in Fairbanks that have gotten decent yields from hulless oats. They have also had inconsistent results with regards to whether or not the oats are actually hulless.

Dog and Dan, thanks for the input. Have had no joy locating seed in AK, so will source some 'Streaker' from Outside and see what happens.
    #Resist