Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shipping gear ahead?

Default Shipping gear ahead?

My luck with airlines getting me and my luggage to the same destination at the same time isn't very good, so I'm thinking about shipping my gear (and maybe even my weapon) ahead to either my hotel in Anch. or maybe a UPS store, or similar shipping hub. Anyone ever do this and if so do you have a recommended shipper or receiver? Thank you.

Default Shipping

I have used UPS to ship my guns to Alaska. The case was so damaged, I had purchase one in Anchorage to return home. UPS told me that since it was not inside a package, tough luck and the damages were not covered under the insurance I paid for. The crown on my rifle hit the side of the case so hard it left a protruding bulge in the case and the barrel had to be recrowned when I returned home. The case had asphalt embedded in the corners and my locking rod and latches were broken, but held tight. Use the airlines, a little more trouble, but have not had near the problems with them.

My partner and I shipped our gear to the flight service we were using to get us into the bush. Used UPS. Everything was there and in good condition. Maybe the folks in Illiamna use more care than Anchorage. Good luck. J.

My partner (New York) and I (Louisiana) used the U. S. Postal Service to ship all of our gear to Galena except our carry-on bag (binos, camera, sat phone) and our weapon. We made arrangements with our air charter to have it picked up at the Post Office and it was waiting for us when we got there. There was no damage to the containers other than normal wear and tear. We also shipped our gear back from the Post Office in Galena to home. No problems. I would recommend, however, making sure you pay the extra couple of bucks to be able to track your gear.
    "The days a man spends fishing or spends hunting should not be deducted from the time he's on earth. " Theodore Roosevelt

Default how much

If you don't mind me asking how much to ship from louisiana and how far ahead timewise did you send it. Thanks

Sent a bunch of gear to a flight service in Kodiak last year. Sent it airfreight via Alaska Airlines 3 weeks ahead and all was there as planned.
    I wish I could say as much for my bags, they arived in Kodiak 3 hours after my flight.

DD

Default Ship ahead

I try to ship stuff ahead when ever possible. Please remember that you need to ship a firearm to a FFL. I have skirted this by addressing it to myself, but that is still flirting with federal prison time. With the way the airlines are I will keep "skirting"

Quote Originally Posted by BigHorn Hunter View Post
    I try to ship stuff ahead when ever possible. Please remember that you need to ship a firearm to a FFL. I have skirted this by addressing it to myself, but that is still flirting with federal prison time. With the way the airlines are I will keep "skirting"

That is a negative. You can ship firearms to yourself, as long as the person on the other end does not open the package. If the package is opened, it is considered "received" by the person opening it. Send everything via Priority Mail or Express Mail, in an unmarked box, insured.

You may go to the post office website and download the regs covering the mailing of firearms, so if the automaton behind the counter gives you any grief, you have them in your hand. You can also do this from the BATF website because when confronted by superior intelligence, they may try to say another alphabet agency sed you can't. I should say I have never, ever had any difficulties sending anything through the mail. When they ask "is it flammable, fragile, perishable, or ******" I just answer, "nope".

Quote Originally Posted by louisiana View Post
    If you don't mind me asking how much to ship from louisiana and how far ahead timewise did you send it. Thanks
    I had 4 plastic locker boxes (1 for clothes, 1 for food (mtn. house and the sort), and 2 for gear. Weight (box included) was about 30-35 lbs. each. I believe the cost was a tad over $200.00 to ship it there priority, which I did about 3-4 weeks before. Shipping it back can be done way, way cheaper.
    "The days a man spends fishing or spends hunting should not be deducted from the time he's on earth. " Theodore Roosevelt

If you use USPS DO NOT send parcel post. It can take months. Priority Mail will be less than a week most of the time. I use priority mail between Pennsylvania and Alaska all the time. No problems Just make sure it is all well packed in strong water resistant boxes. don't forget the tracking and insurance.

Woody

Thumbs up Shipping Gear

I have a lot of my floaters, both hunters and fisherman ship most of their gear up to Kotzebue ahead of time and I store it until they get here. Last year I was setting up a father and 3 of his boys on a 10 day fly fishing outing. The dads gear, all of it was lost by Alaska Air lines and I had to scramble to fix him up with everything but his fly rods.

I recommend shipping up everything that you can. First it is cheaper than paying the AA excess freight cost and its will be delivered to your flight service and be waiting for you when you arrive in beautiful downtown Kotzebue, all part of the service!

Call me if we can help out.

Walt
    Northwest Alaska Back Country Rental
    Kotzebue Alaska
    www.northwestalaska.com
    Your best Bet in equipment rental in all of NW Alaska

One thing to keep in mind. If you check bags on the airline, purchase the optional insurance. Its not much and it seems that the packages get handled with more care since the airline is responsible for damamge and loss. I always insure my weapons when I check it on an airline. And make sure to label the items fragile. When my weapons arrive, they are usually hand carried out to the baggage area, not slide down the chute onto the belt.

I just moved to AK from WI, I asked the post master in WI, and he said ship it certified, or insured to yourself, you just need a shipping address on the receiveing side... he said make sure to pack it good, then when I got here I got to interview a job that handles the inbound mail, they gave me a tour, Oh MY, what a Nightmare, my poor gun, and I was always very careful setting it down in its case...It came with no sign of damage, thank goodness. I had it packed in a hard case with extra foam padding inside... Make sure you get insurance and check it right away if going this route...

UPS website says:

Shipping FirearmsSpecial Procedures for Shipping Firearms
    Use These UPS Services for Your Firearm ShipmentFirearms will be transported only between licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, and licensed collectors, as defined in the United States Gun Control Act of 1968, law enforcement agencies of the United States or of any department or agency thereof and law enforcement agencies of any state or department agency, or political subdivision thereof, and between persons not otherwise prohibited from shipping firearms by federal, state or local law and when such shipment complies with all applicable federal, state and local laws.

• You must ship your packages that contain handguns with UPS Next Day Air Early A.M.®, UPS Next Day Air®, or UPS Next Day Air Saver® services
    • Your packages that contain firearms will not be accepted for shipment at UPS Drop Boxes, with UPS SonicAir® service, at locations of The UPS Store or any third-party retailer, or with international services.

Follow These Packing Requirements
    • Your packages that contain handguns must be separated from other packages being delivered to UPS
    • Ammunition cannot be included in your packages that contain firearms (including handguns)

About Documentation and Labeling
    • When you are shipping your package that contains a firearm with UPS, you must affix a UPS label requesting an adult signature upon delivery

Getting Your Firearm Shipment to UPS
    • You can only ship your package that contains a firearm from UPS daily pickup accounts and through UPS Customer Centers
    • When you are shipping a package that contains a handgun, you must verbally notify the UPS driver or UPS Customer Center clerk
    • You can use UPS daily pickup accounts to ship firearms, not including handguns, through UPS Internet Shipping, UPS On-Call PickupSM, and One-Time Pickup
    • Your packages that contain firearms will not be accepted for shipment at UPS Drop Boxes, with UPS SonicAir® service, at locations of The UPS Store or any third-party retailer, or with international services
    • See the terms and conditions in the UPS Tariff/Terms and Conditions of Service for shipping firearms
    So, I guess it's OK to ship as long as you comply with the laws. As far as other gear- I've always shipped mine UPS before the trip- no matter where I'm going. Always did check my guns as baggage, though.
    Ed

Default Depends on Where you go

Depending on where you go, air freqight may be the best option. The last few years I went to Kotzebue to hunt, I shipped everything Alaska Air Freight from New Jersey. That's all my rafting equipment such as 14ft Aire raft, frame, paddles, camping, hunting gear, etc.

I was able to track the freight packages on my computer. As soon as it arrived in OTZ, I called up Alaska Air and told them I was going to have my pilot pick it up and move to his hangar. When I got to OTZ, everything was waiting for me on a couple of pallets.

I boarded the plane with my rifle case as the only checked piece of luggage.

Default Shipping to and within Alaska

Crowley,

Great question, and it generated some really good answers. Essentially you have four options:

CHECKED LUGGAGE

This is the worst option of all. You pay premium excess baggage fees for the privilege of waiting for your stuff to arrive standby. Sometimes things are lost (this happens with every shipping method). When this happens, you usually have little recovery time because most people intend to fly out to the field as soon as possible after arrival in the village.

U S POSTAL SERVICE

This is, for the most part, the cheapest option. The problems are that you have to be there when they're open (on both ends of the trip), they have strict packaging requirements (forget shipping a raft through the post office), you cannot ship perishable foods (realistically) and they will not accept stove fuels and such. Soooo.... you cannot keep your stuff to one shipping method if you use the USPS.

FEDEX / UPS

Not available everywhere, some packaging requirements, will not allow you to ship certain items, relatively expensive.

AIR CARGO

Comes in at the middle of the pack cost-wise, but you can ship virtually anything up to and including an ATV. You can ship perishables, hazmat (fuels and such), oversized items such as inflatable boats and outboard motors, etc. As a commercial outfitter and hunt planner, this is my preferred method because I know it will get there all together. I pack my own pallets, and shrink-wrap them myself to ensure it all stays in one piece. Most cargo carriers will also back-haul your game meat, some without expensive meat boxes.

This is a complex part of your hunt plan and you're doing well to plan it out in advance. It's one of the hidden costs folks get unpleasantly surprised with later.

In short, I recommend shipping it all air freight. The only thing you bring as luggage when you fly up is your firearm / bow, and a cooler with your fresh / frozen foods.

You will get lots of advice (and you already have) on this one. Look at what the commercial guys like Walt are doing. Chances are, they're going for a combination of cost savings, reliability, and convenience. You want the same things.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Default KCrowley.

I shipped almost all my gear via air cargo last time I went to AK. I addressed it to me in care of my air charter. I shipped on a pallet in a homemade box (double-walled) I made from a refrigerator box I picked up at an appliance store, cut to the spec's I needed and shrink wrapped. Pack frames,tent,tarp's,sleeping bags,game bag's,dry food bucket's,clothe's,boot's/hipper's,lantern,stove,pot's/pan's and anything else I could cram in there. I also shipped 30 waxed boxes,a roll of shrink wrap(picked-up at a garage sale), plastic liner's, permanent marker's, peel and stick label's (2 types: 1 batch w/my name and address and another batch that said "Chill" on them) for meat care. The waxed boxe's I got when I saw in the paper that a local grocery store was having a sale on chicken (during the 4th of July). I went and talked to the meat manager and had him save them for me, took them home and washed and dried them and reflattened. When we got out of the bush we deboned our meat,cleaned it up a bit, packed in linered wax boxe's, labeled, taped the lid's on tight (all the way around the box), placed on pallet, reloaded original packing box with hunting/camping gear, placed on top of meat pallet and shrink wrapped everything. Before the final shrink wrapping of all the gear we put a sheet of heavy 8.5"x11" white paper on all 4 side's of the box/pallet with name and address then shrink wrapped again. 652lb's of boneless moose meat took 15 waxed boxe's. That was in 2004. Back then you had to become a "known shipper" to send stuff. If you haven't done this you should check in to it. It (as I was told) could take awhile to get done as someone had to physically come to your house to verify you are who you are and you live where you say you live. Print out and have on hand all the regulation's (and know and understand) that you need and think you may need as far as shipping policy. This little tidbit saved me around $250.00 on the shipping return (I don't think she knew her own policy very well, I don't think it was a case of intentional rip-off). I could've just thrown money at everything and roll with the flow but, all this "other" detail planning was challenging and fun to me. I've alway's been a "I can do that myself" kinda guy. The only stuff we didn't ship cargo was expensive optic's/electronic's (carry-on) and firearm's (check-in). I may come up with more idea's later. I'm sure this thread will get you lot's of help. Patrick.

Default Similar system

Quote Originally Posted by Blacktail View Post
    ...I addressed it to me in care of my air charter. I shipped on a pallet in a homemade box (double-walled) I made from a refrigerator box I picked up at an appliance store, cut to the spec's I needed and shrink wrapped. Pack frames,tent,tarp's,sleeping bags,game bag's,dry food bucket's,clothe's,boot's/hipper's,lantern,stove,pot's/pan's and anything else I could cram in there. I also shipped 30 waxed boxes,a roll of shrink wrap(picked-up at a garage sale), plastic liner's, permanent marker's, peel and stick label's (2 types: 1 batch w/my name and address and another batch that said "Chill" on them) for meat care...When we got out of the bush we deboned our meat,cleaned it up a bit, packed in linered wax boxe's, labeled, taped the lid's on tight ... we put a sheet of heavy 8.5"x11" white paper on all 4 side's of the box/pallet with name and address then shrink wrapped again. ... The only stuff we didn't ship cargo was expensive optic's/electronic's (carry-on) and firearm's (check-in). I may come up with more idea's later. I'm sure this thread will get you lot's of help. Patrick.
    Patrick,

You have described almost to the tee the process I have been using for several years. It's relatively hassle-free, and gets your stuff there and back intact. Nicely done!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

You still have to be a known shipper and they will come to your house or place of business

Exclamation Shipping gear to Alaska

Alex:

What is the world did shipping all of that gear from NJ to Kotz and back cost you? I am guessing that you had 350+ pounds. Would you have been better off to rent gear here in Kotz and saved a bunch of cash and hassel?

Walt
    Northwest Alaska Back Country Rentals
    Your best bet in rafts, canoes and camp rentals in all of NW Alaska
    www.northwestalaska.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast