Thread: Admiralty Island Bear question

Default Admiralty Island Bear question

Would it be worth going down there in late Nov/early Dec and expect to see a fair amount of grizz roaming around. I've seen some on Kodiak around the same time frame. Any info would be appreciated, Thanks.

No, bears are getting tucked into bed, lots of deer though. But really you want to be snooping around in the pitch black (no moonlight) and hard driving rain? What if you have to follow wounded bear into the brush? 6 hours of daylight, usually its permanent dusk/dim light at best. AND wet, wet, soggy, and wet. Bring a deck of cards something hard to drink and plan on spending 18 hours a day drying out in a cabin. Oh and I forgot to mention it will be soggy, wet, and dark.

one positive, if you plan on deer hunting, a gun shot will bring in any bears nearby! They make great bear calls, so your hunt could be easy.

Sobie2

Bears will be few and far between that time of year. Although one year, my bro took a morning visit to the outhouse, came back, then I went out there and got situated only to realize fresh size 13 grizz tracks inside his foot prints from minutes before.... IN FRESH SNOW. Not cool. Good thing I was already sitting down! haha. \

So, theres a few out, but not many. There are probably more out in the more remote parts of the island.

Quote Originally Posted by Sobie2 View Post
    No, bears are getting tucked into bed, lots of deer though. But really you want to be snooping around in the pitch black (no moonlight) and hard driving rain? What if you have to follow wounded bear into the brush? 6 hours of daylight, usually its permanent dusk/dim light at best. AND wet, wet, soggy, and wet. Bring a deck of cards something hard to drink and plan on spending 18 hours a day drying out in a cabin. Oh and I forgot to mention it will be soggy, wet, and dark.

one positive, if you plan on deer hunting, a gun shot will bring in any bears nearby! They make great bear calls, so your hunt could be easy.

Sobie2
    +1

Also, fall hunts are typically more difficult than spring hunts. If the bears are indeed still out and about grabbing some last minute snacks they could be on the beach, at 2,000 feet, or anywhere in between. It is rare for brownies to be out come Dec. 1, and usually smaller bears that couldn't quite fatten up as much as they'd have liked, at least from what the old-timers have told me and from tracks I have seen while trapping.

Springtime the bears are usually concentrated much closer to the fresh grasses down low. Also more daylight. If I were going to tell a few buddies to come bear hunting I wouldn't let them waste their money coming late in the fall for hunting bears specifically. Fall bear hunting would be much more productive mid-October when the coho's are still in the stream, especially if you can find a choke point where fish pool up or have to wait for tide to ascend a stretch of river.

Hope that helps!