Thread: 2015 spring bear hunting for college student

Default 2015 spring bear hunting for college student

Hello, I am a college student with University of Alaska in fairbanks, and this year is the first year I am able to hunt. I have spring break this coming week between the 16th-20th of March and my brother-in-law (also a student) are trying to find out if there is any kind of bear hunting opportunities for a 2-3 day bear hunt within driving distance of fairbanks for this next week. I understand its a quite a long shot given that its still pretty early for the bears to be out and at least in fairbanks theres about 2 ft of snow on the ground. If anyone has any intel on fresh bear sign that they've seen this year or if there are places further south that are thawed out or are starting to turn green, and are willing to divulge this info, I would really appreciate it.
    Thanks

I don't know the Fairbanks area but even down here with no snow I'd be shocked to run into a bear right now, prepared but shocked...

If you really want to get out an hunt I'd suggest picking up a coyote howler and giving canines a try, they are in the tail end of breeding season and should still be responding to howls. You'll still be out in the woods just in case Mr. Bear is curious about coyotes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thanks for the advice, I may have to dig around and try to find my old predator call I used to have. Normally I wouldnt have even asked about bears yet, but with the milder winter that we have had I thought it wouldnt hurt to ask if there was signs that they had awakened early this year further south by anchorage or valdez

Winter severity often times has little to do with bears coming out. There will be a few rouge bears out and about, perhaps due to denning location but the majority will all still come out around the same time frame regardless of snow depth.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    Winter severity often times has little to do with bears coming out. There will be a few rouge bears out and about, perhaps due to denning location but the majority will all still come out around the same time frame regardless of snow depth.
    Do you think that's true even if there is no snow, I have no concept of what percentage of their den is snow vs. Dirt and trees?

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    Do you think that's true even if there is no snow, I have no concept of what percentage of their den is snow vs. Dirt and trees?

I've seen a lot of black bear dens on the Susitna that are hollowed out of trees. I understand that they most often den up in the hills, but there's ample evidence that they are happy to den near the river in a tree if they have a reason to.

I don't know much about bears and have only hunted for them in the fall, but that's what I've seen.

Quote Originally Posted by HikerDan View Post
    I've seen a lot of black bear dens on the Susitna that are hollowed out of trees. I understand that they most often den up in the hills, but there's ample evidence that they are happy to den near the river in a tree if they have a reason to.

I don't know much about bears and have only hunted for them in the fall, but that's what I've seen.
    Interesting thanks! I've never seen one in the wild, at least one that I recognized. I've seen a few hollow looking root wads that raised my hair but none have been populated.

I tend to think that snow isn't what makes bears sleepy.
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    I've heard of white bears, black bears, cinnamon bears, brown bears, glacier bears... but never a rouge bear.

Rouge bears walk on their hind legs, some falls you'll see one at the state fair.
    Master guide 212

And they are rarely noticed until about closing time at the bar.....then they seem to populate the habitat from out of nowhere.

The question remains, how much gun do you need for a rouge bear?

Be careful before pulling the trigger and make sure you have an exit strategy, even when mortally wounded, they tend to stick around.

I'll assume you know the temps this week. Quite a bit colder in the Fbks area than what you want for bears to be out. 16-20 march is a poor time to be looking for bears.
    Call F&G and see if the bou hunt is still open on the Taylor hiway near Eagle. Might be more likely to find a bou down that way.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Quote Originally Posted by Catch It View Post
    And they are rarely noticed until about closing time at the bar.....then they seem to populate the habitat from out of nowhere.

The question remains, how much gun do you need for a rouge bear?

Be careful before pulling the trigger and make sure you have an exit strategy, even when mortally wounded, they tend to stick around.
    Maybe, like ex-governors, they go rouge.

thanks I may check that out