Thread: Trail boss subsonic loads

Default Trail boss subsonic loads

Has anyone seen any trail boss trying to track some down. Also has any one tried this for 308 subsonic loads ?
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote.--Benjamin Franklin

Can't help you with where to find some right now. Bought a couple of jugs of it when it showed up in the LGS a year or two ago. 9 oz completely fills one of those so called 1# black plastic jugs.

Loaded some for a WW-I vintage '03 Springfield. Loaded with 150 jacketed bullet, I worked up from 16.o grains to 19.o, which is the listed max. 19.o gave me ~1,400 fps. IIRC, 16.o was in the 1,200 fps range. Can't seem to find my notes as I did run these over my Oehler 35. Good load density. 16.o was probably 80% LD, while 19.o is 90-95%. Don't think you'll have a problem going at subsonic using this powder. Never really checked for accuracy at the lower speeds.

There is a wealth of loading data for low velocity loads in any cast bullet manual using a wide variaty of powders such as unique. red dot, 2400, w231.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    There is a wealth of loading data for low velocity loads in any cast bullet manual using a wide variaty of powders such as unique. red dot, 2400, w231.
    True enough, and those powders you mentioned are more ECONOMICAL than TB too.

Nor, are they that case sensitive in a non-magnum size case, but you DO hafta make sure you don't have a double charge, because it won't be easy to tell. (I hafta use a marked wooden dowel to verify the powder depth in all charged cases.

Trail Boss does have it's place, and that's in SAFETY. And presumably, fewer problems with ignition from where the powder is in the case, because, it fills better than those pistol powders traditionally used for cast bullet loads.

I use TB for Cast Bullet loads in my 7 Mags. I still check the powder level, but doubt if I'd miss a double charge, or that a DC would be dangerous. I really like it, and would use it more, if I had, or could get more of it.

If one uses the powders you mention for a reduced charge, in a rifle, he should be PARANOID about making sure their is NOT a double, charge, any kind of OVER charge.

It CAN happen, and often does. I encouraged a friend to shoot cast bullets, and he damaged his Rem. 700.

SR 4759 is another Bulky powder for reduced loads. It was discontinued for a while, but brought back again because of popular demand.

With ANY load where, there is carbon on the case past the neck junction, it means that the case is not sealing properly, probably, from lack of pressure. I use only cases that have been fireformed with full power loads, for reduced, or cast bullet loads. That helps with the sealing.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I have use subsonic 308 loads as trainers for my kids using 150 BT and trail boss. Great mild accurate loading

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Want to load some up for the wife and plinking fun as these will also be suppressed.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote.--Benjamin Franklin

My buddies daughter shooting TB loads

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk