Thread: Where to get Epoxy?

Default Where to get Epoxy?

I am thinking about doing a project canoe and not quite sure where in the Matsu Valley to find a good epoxy resin to use. Any one have any ideas? The only place I know of that even sells Epoxy is CAC Plastics in Wasilla.

Just looking to build a plywood canoe (similar to the Quick canoe) and want to use Epoxy resin over Polyester Resin. Just not quite sure to look for it.

Also any idea how much epoxy would be needed to construct a 16 foot plywood canoe like the one in this link?
    http://www.toledocommunityboathouse....mp/05lw150.jpg

http://www.toledocommunityboathouse....comp/index.htm

I know, nothing fancy but got to start some where right?

Looks like a easy project but I'm thinking more like the LW at about twelve foot.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

You'll want to go to CAC Plastics in Wasilla. http://www.cacalaska.com/
    "The North wind is cold no matter what direction it's blowing"

Ya I dont think it will be to hard to do. Looks like it is fairly strait forward. Plus its something usable when done ( I hope ROFL!) building it.

And actually I was looking at building one more like the lazy weekend but without the chines on the bottom. I like the slightly wider stance but I like how the QC has no chines on the bottom. I was planning on doing the entire bottom with Epoxy and fiber glass and the bow and stern at least two layers of fiberglass to protect the seems. Also plan on one layer of fiberglass on the interior portion of the seems as well. Depending on how heavy it is I may do a single layer over the entire outside of the canoe in fiberglass matting as well just to add strength.

If possible I would like to have something capable of floating the Little Su from the Parks hwy down ( nothing crazy like any form of white water) for fishing/camping trips for at least one person and gear needed.

Not totally sure what length I would want to go. From the research I have done the LW is capable of at least 600 lbs ( No official data on these) and still do not sit much lower in the water. Thats with the 16 foot version I linked. I have thought about building a 14 foot version but not sure yet. I like the idea of a smaller craft for float trips, but also like the idea of holding a decent payload for gear.

I could always use my 17 foot Coleman, but then I wouldn't have an excuse to build one lol.

Why are you going to use Epoxy? I do boat repair and I use Polyester Resin on some jobs and Epoxy on others. When I use epoxy I use system 3 products. I would like to hear your reason.

If you're building a wooden boat and fiberglassing it, epoxy is the resin to use as it provides a water proof coating. Polyester resin is porous, when the catalyst evaporates it leaves small pours that allow water to get to the wood.

As far as how much resin you will need, it depends on what weight cloth you use, and how efficient you are with your resin use. If you use system 3 that has a 2:1 mix ratio I'd think a 1 1/2 gallon kit i.e. 1 gallon resin, 1/2 gallon hardener should be about right for that canoe though you might need a tad more.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Plaschem moved out to the valley I was told, but their address still pops up as being in Anchorage on Spar Avenue. They sold west system epoxy in kits or bulk.

Fiberlay is supposed to have a retail store on International in Anchorage, but CAC appears to be their only active distributor.

For a few of my boats I have ordered RAKA epoxy as even with shipping from the east coast it was cheaper than buying the good stuff locally. So far RAKA is a good product and works well for general boat building. I would not use it for clear finish on a fancy pants kayak or strip canoe, but for any boat that is going to be painted its fine.