Thread: Firing pin dragging on primer?

Default Firing pin dragging on primer?

I've been shooting a new Tikka T3 lite in 223. The first group shot thru this barrel (after 2 sighters) was a 5 round group less than 0.800". No signs of pressure or any other kind of problems. This past weekend I decided I wanted to mess around with Trailboss, running 8 grains under a 55 grain FBHP. It consistently put 5 rounds into less than an inch:

IMG_0207.jpg

After the 4th or 5th round, I noticed that the bolt had some resistance to opening. I could turn the bolt open, but when I went to pull the bolt back it was stuck. I tugged the bolt handle a bit harder and it came loose and ejected the case easily once it broke free. I did not have to really reef on it, it just was a bit "stuck". I should have inspected the case head a little more than I did. I didnt notice the primer until a bit later. SO in this picture below, the case on the far left was the one that was "stuck". The other cases didnt reallly stick but had a bit of resistance to pulling back. You can see the first one has a teardrop shape to the primer dent and then a scratch from there out to the edge of the primer. The following 4 rounds each have a light scratch where the firing pin scratched from the dent out to the edge of the primer.

THis would seem to tell me that the firing pin isnt retracting and when the shell ejects it is scraping. I havent had any time to mess around yet to see if i can see why this is happening, but was hoping one of you guys knew what would cause this to happen.

pin dragging.jpg

Looks like you are getting close to blowing primmers to me and the primmer is holding your fireing pins out.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Hodgdon shows 4 gr. as a max load.

WIth Trailboss? The load data I have says fill the case to the bottom of the bullet and that is the max load. 70% of that load is the min load. The max load worked out to be over 9 grains. I don't know why the hodgdon site lists 4 max? Thanks for pointing that out. I'm going to take the bolt apart and take a look. There is no way I should be popping primers with 8 grains of TB...hmmmm

I see what you mean... http://www.imrpowder.com/PDF/Trail-Boss-data.pdf. That's quite a difference from the Data Center load.

I tried TRAIL BOSS in various large rifles and always had weird things happen. Plus it was never very accurate because the velocities were jumping all over the place.
    Plus the pressure curve is bizarre and it often let gasses come down around the case and really foul the chamber.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

You're not the first person who I've heard say that Float Pilot. I've had really good accuracy with this load at 100 yds with two of the three 223 rifles I own. I was looking for a quiet round that I could shoot in the backyard at night without bugging the wife and the neighbors.

The off center primer dent says there must be something going on in the bolt.

Best as I can see your primers are pretty flat which is uncommon for TB . . . the fact that they worked well then later you get this makes me wonder if they fowled the bore to the point you are now getting pressure. Doesn't take much to fowl a little 223, that could be the reason the data center says 4g max.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Between mentally adjudicated and cybersapce

[QUOTE=dkwarthog;1466933]THis would seem to tell me that the firing pin isnt retracting and when the shell ejects it is scraping. I havent had any time to mess around yet to see if i can see why this is happening, but was hoping one of you guys knew what would cause this to happen. /QUOTE]

MUST be those California micro-stamped firing pins we heard about....

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

dkwarthog:
    I'd sure like to know where you are now, regarding this issue.

I've used Trail Boss with great success, and good accuracy with cast bullet loads, less than 1500 fps.

If you experience fouling on the case, past the case, on the shoulder, or in the chamber, like Float Pilot mentioned, that is usually a result of too little pressure, not enough to fully seal the case on firing. That is a general thing, for any load.

For my reduced cast bullet loads, I use fully fireformed cases from at least one full power load, and that helps the sealing.

It sounds to me like you are right and the primer is hanging onto the firing pin. Maybe, it's too long, or too rough????????

I was just curious to know if you found a resolution, and what if was.

Thanks
    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

What do the reloading manuals say when you use military brass??? Pretty sure you are not supposed to use max loads meant for 223 commercial brass versus military brass the LC stuff is considerably thicker and you will get pressure signs.

military brass the LC stuff is considerably thicker and you will get pressure signs.
    That is very true....
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com