Thread: Portable Wash Down

Default Portable Wash Down

Iím thinking about building a portable fresh water wash down for my boat Ė 15 or 25 gallon plastic tank I can load when fishing the salt, just to help a bit with blood and slime. I found some ATV lawn sprayers with built in pump and battery leads on Cabelaís which would serve my purpose, but I donít like the hose and nozzle it comes with.

Does anybody know if a regular coiled washdown hose and nozzle could be modified to use on the sprayer below?
    Iím overseas at the moment and not able to physically check or compare hose fitting compatibility for hose adapter options. Iíve not been able to find an actual, bona fide portable wash down specifically for boats, so looking for ideas, suggestions, or similar type systems you may be using.

The below sprayer is what Iímlooking at modifying; 1-2 gpm depending on pump model.

Attached Images Attached Images

Why would you want to carry 25 gallons of water weight in your boat and take up the room of the tank in your boat?

If your using your boat in salt you are more than likely washing it down after use with fresh water anyway.

I can not think of a boat I have seen that is using a onboard fresh water wash down pump system. My boats have has a through hull or over the transom pick up and a coil hose to wash blood and guts down.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by outaMT View Post
    Iím thinking about building a portable fresh water wash down for my boat Ė 15 or 25 gallon plastic tank I can load when fishing the salt, just to help a bit with blood and slime. I found some ATV lawn sprayers with built in pump and battery leads on Cabelaís which would serve my purpose, but I donít like the hose and nozzle it comes with.

Does anybody know if a regular coiled washdown hose and nozzle could be modified to use on the sprayer below?
    Iím overseas at the moment and not able to physically check or compare hose fitting compatibility for hose adapter options. Iíve not been able to find an actual, bona fide portable wash down specifically for boats, so looking for ideas, suggestions, or similar type systems you may be using.

The below sprayer is what Iímlooking at modifying; 1-2 gpm depending on pump model.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Those sprayers are designed to apply product, hence the 1 GPM pump. You might be able to eventually get your boat wet with that, but you will be disappointed in trying to actually rinse away blood and slime with such a low flow.

FrostB Ė good point. Thanks.

Cresent Ė Iíve got the pump over, but I want fresh water capacity on board. Iíd like to mitigate salt splash on items or areas such as console, camping gear, batteries and downrigger connections, etc. Not just for blood and slime, I should have been a little more specific in my orriginal post.

As far as 15 or 25 gallon tank taking up too much room, not an issue in my particular case.

With all of the ocean spray and wind driven rain that is laced with salt water this is a losing proposition. Take the boat out of the salt and then wash it down.

Patty - I appreciate what your saying, and I do a complete fresh water spritz once out of the salt. I'm just looking for input on an on-board fresh water pump system.

outaMT - I don't have any experience with a portable system as our boat has a threaded freshwater sink on the deck, but I do find my self using it often on overnight trips or on trips where I am trying to minimize dockside cleanup. One thing that I have used while camping with the family is a barrel/jug of water and a small RV water pump (around the 3 gpm range). I would think that a similar setup would be handy and possibly more powerful for rinsing equipment off, cleaning up, washing the dog, whatever... Sorry not much help, but as most others seem to be dissuading you I thought I would voice some support. Good luck.

A regular washdown pump is at least 4GPM so anything less will be pretty much a mist vs a spray.

We use a 4.7 gallon big kahuna www.bigkahunashowers.com
    Got to love the name.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

Twilliams Ė thanks. Iíve already started looking at an RV pump/tank system with some reduction hosing to up PSI at the nozzle depending on pump if needed. It was in the back of my mind for using the same system for hunting camp as well. Having some fresh water underpressure is by no means a ďneedĒ, itís just a want. Thanks for the input.

Breausaw Ė The 13 gallon Kahuna has peaked my interest. I canít stream the video on the site, but this is the concept I was looking for. I knowitís advertised as a portable shower, but this would fit the bill for the couple of applications Iíd like to use it for.

Thanks guys Ė two solid options I can now start narrowing down!!

Hate to be pessimistic but I think you're going to go thru all the effort and what you'll end up with will truly suck.
    My boat stays in the water year round, I have a decent spray bottle to rinse reels, lures, etc if need be.
    Also a real saltwater washdown pump at 5gpm.
    Like stated anything down in the 1-2gpm range will get stuff wet but will do nothing on fish slime.
    Check out Quickwater Adventure water taxi/transport services: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Quick...37553606260978

So why not just plumb a real wash down pump to a storage tank if that's what you're really after? Simple enough to do and problem solved. And if you leave the tank mount in an easy location you could pull the whole works out and bring it on a hunting trip and power it off of any Atv battery.

Quote Originally Posted by outaMT View Post
    Twilliams Ė thanks. Iíve already started looking at an RV pump/tank system with some reduction hosing to up PSI at the nozzle depending on pump if needed. It was in the back of my mind for using the same system for hunting camp as well. Having some fresh water underpressure is by no means a ďneedĒ, itís just a want. Thanks for the input.

Breausaw Ė The 13 gallon Kahuna has peaked my interest. I canít stream the video on the site, but this is the concept I was looking for. I knowitís advertised as a portable shower, but this would fit the bill for the couple of applications Iíd like to use it for.

Thanks guys Ė two solid options I can now start narrowing down!!
    I think you'll find the 13 gallon will last a long time. The spray is really fine and shoots about 8 feet. It's nice for washing dishes on the cutting table or wash the salt spray off the windows. Heat up a pan of water and pour inside and you have a hot shower. If I need to wash down the deck a bucket and brush does the job for me, have no desire for a salt water wash down but I don't leave the boat in the water; a gas pressure washer cleans up the boat after each trip.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

Yep Ė as far as a ready to go unit, the Big Kahuna is simple and would do the job. I agree, Iíd rather keep the salt diluted with fresh water as much as possible during trips, and always do a complete power wash inside and out when I get home. I like the idea of being able to easily top off the tank from streams/creeks as well if needed.

Thanks again for the input guys -

If you have a saltwater wash down now, could you plumb in a T with valves that would allow the use of either salt water or fresh depending on valve selection? I have considered doing this to allow a fresh water spritz after loading and before getting home. If you have freshwater tank currently this would allow you to remove it and the weight before heading home. It shouldn't be very complicated plumbing wise if that is what you want to do. You would just need to run it long enough to get the salt out of the line.