Thread: Cucumber containers for a greenhouse

Default Cucumber containers for a greenhouse

This is a question I am asking for my wife. I am her laborer. She has the green thumb. Anyhow she wants to experiment this year with a different container for her cucumbers. I will be remodeling the greenhouse and removing shelves so the plants can be sitting at ground level. She would really like to have some shallow raised beds for the cucumbers but our greenhouse has a plywood floor and is built above the ground on railroad ties. People we have asked that have cucumber beds on the floor of their greenhouse do not have plywood floors, their green houses are built directly on the dirt. Do you have any suggestions for how she can grow the cucumbers from the ground up in our type of a greenhouse? Any pictures would be helpful.

Thanks

I grow my cucs in a 5 gal bucket..

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    This is a question I am asking for my wife. I am her laborer. She has the green thumb. Anyhow she wants to experiment this year with a different container for her cucumbers. I will be remodeling the greenhouse and removing shelves so the plants can be sitting at ground level. She would really like to have some shallow raised beds for the cucumbers but our greenhouse has a plywood floor and is built above the ground on railroad ties. People we have asked that have cucumber beds on the floor of their greenhouse do not have plywood floors, their green houses are built directly on the dirt. Do you have any suggestions for how she can grow the cucumbers from the ground up in our type of a greenhouse? Any pictures would be helpful.

Thanks
    Don't know if these are something that you might want to look into,( come in sizes from 3-15 gallon ) but I'll throw it out there for you, ( just one site, there are others ) ( I am using them right now on a difficult plant and seem to be working pretty good.)

http://www.amazon.com/Smart-Pots-10-.../dp/B002KLNCM0

If you think that the soil under your greenhouse is warmish, I would think that with an 8-inch hole saw you could access the soil and transplant directly into the soil below the greenhouse. The soil doesn't need sunlight.

But that would only work if there is some heat source that is keeping the soil under your greenhouse warm. For example, if you heat your greenhouse all winter, the soil may never get very cold, and therefore is warm enough for cukes.

Of course, if you don't rely exclusively on chemical fertilizers, maintaining soil health could be tough.

Cool Head bangers

I like to train them to drop from the ceiling. I call them head bangers.

A couple of years ago in 15 gallon pots.

Last year in 4 gallon pot. Not the best angle, but it shows the pot. There wasn't a lot of difference in the much smaller pot. Watering became much more attentive. Smaller pots dry a lot faster. There things suck up the water.

Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Quote Originally Posted by Old John View Post
    I grow my cucs in a 5 gal bucket..
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock_skipper View Post
    Don't know if these are something that you might want to look into,( come in sizes from 3-15 gallon ) but I'll throw it out there for you, ( just one site, there are others ) ( I am using them right now on a difficult plant and seem to be working pretty good.)

http://www.amazon.com/Smart-Pots-10-.../dp/B002KLNCM0
    Quote Originally Posted by HikerDan View Post
    If you think that the soil under your greenhouse is warmish, I would think that with an 8-inch hole saw you could access the soil and transplant directly into the soil below the greenhouse. The soil doesn't need sunlight.

But that would only work if there is some heat source that is keeping the soil under your greenhouse warm. For example, if you heat your greenhouse all winter, the soil may never get very cold, and therefore is warm enough for cukes.

Of course, if you don't rely exclusively on chemical fertilizers, maintaining soil health could be tough.
    Quote Originally Posted by bullbuster View Post
    I like to train them to drop from the ceiling. I call them head bangers.

A couple of years ago in 15 gallon pots.

Last year in 4 gallon pot. Not the best angle, but it shows the pot. There wasn't a lot of difference in the much smaller pot. Watering became much more attentive. Smaller pots dry a lot faster. There things suck up the water.

Thanks for the tips and the ideas guys. Rockskipper, I really like the smart pot idea. Bullbuster, I like those headbangers. Those look like some delicious Cucs. I'll pass all this information along to my wife.

Here is another source for grow bags, or whatever you want to call them. I'm going to try growing a cabbage in a 3 gallon size this year, as well as a cauliflower.. http://www.growbaggardensystems.com/collections/all

5 gallon pails work for a lot of things, but larger plants like cucs and tomato's are out. They are overly tippy imho. I'm also growing in 15-20 gallon sized containers, they work well. Make sure you drill some holes for drainage! My buddy learned this lesson the hard way and lost a pile of his peppers last year in the rain. A drain hole about 1" up from the bottom will tell you when you have enough water.

I've grown them in a hoop house on a raised bed as well and have done verygood, including last year! If you have the yard space I'd opt for this route and save the GH for other goodies a 4x8 bed will hold two large cuc plants with plenty of fruit on it. Even as cool as last summer was bells, jalapenos and cucs did well, though I did have some issues early on with the first bells, I think it was my own fault (over watered).

My cherry plants didn't do so well outside, though I did try a new variety, my early girls did well as usual. I tried starting everything this year instead of buying half of it. Almost ready to transplant into 4" pots already woot woot! Should be a fun summer!

I think cucumbers like to spread their roots rather then go super deep, so I took 30 gallon drums and sliced them in half the long way and screwed little 2X4 legs on it.

8' X 16" x 16" soil boxes
    Attached Images Attached Images