Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Farewell Landing Strip ATV Access

Default Farewell Landing Strip ATV Access

I am thinking about flying a smaller ATV into the farewell landing strip to use for my bison tag. It sounds like lots of people do that for moose in the area. I was curious who other people have used for transporters? I have called some but not to many have taken ATVs. Alaska Air Transport will do it but wanted to see who others have used. I am thinking this might be the best option to get my wife the opportunity to try for a bison with me since we will have a new baby about a month prior. Thanks

Trans Northern Aviation transports ATV's out of Farewell as well.

Thank you, I will check with them as well. My plan was to float hunt it if drawn but now since Game and Fish won't do anything about the 10 year apply deal for my wife we need to do what we can to give her a chance since she will have had a baby 1 month prior. If we would have known when we applied my wife wouldn't have applied but oh well!! Thanks Again

Good luck! I was fortunate enough to get one of the additional 5 tags they gave away last year after the herd count. I truly believe that the fall bison tag in Farewell is one of, if not the best draw hunt in the state. Where else can you hunt such an iconic animal in a completely free range and wild hunt with the Alaska Range as the backdrop?!! Awesome opportunity!

Congrats on last year! Who did you use for transportation?

I drew a party tag on farewell bison and couldn't go because of the costs involved. My buddy however was able to hook up with a guy and get his atv out there. If I recal he saw one group of bison as most of them where up the river past Egypt mtn.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Mine is a party tag as well with my wife! Do you have any ideas who he went with to get his atv out there?

No idea. Went with a group of moose hunters if I recal.
    Master guide 212

ryansven, i sent you a PM.

Thanks got it!

talk to the bio but in the fall I think you would be better off flying into rohn then trying to get at them from farewell

Thanks I talked to bio and he told me it would be best to fly into farewell and if I got atv there it would be quicker!

I did a pile of research when I had my tag and the bio told me farewell would be iffy and that there was so few bison there than going into rohn and floating the river would be a much better option for finding the majority of the animals.
    Find the thread in the float hunt forum, a guy did just thst a year or so back.
    Master guide 212

Yes I have contacted the guy that floated it a year or so ago. And that was my intentions until we found out we were expecting. The only way I could float it now is if my wife didn't go, but she wants to give it a whirl since she can't even apply for 10 years. In my opinion there should be something she could do to get out of the tag since there was no way for us to know when we applied but regs are regs. I know a lot of people would feel different but they might feel the same if they were in the same situation. I have talked with the bio out there in McGrath and he said he would fly into farewell with a ATV. I talked to him about floating but that wasn't his first option. I talked to him before I knew my wife couldn't do anything about her situation so explored all options with him. He said herds are doing very well and should have no problem if we fly a ATV into farewell. Thanks again for you input.

Well I hope it works out no matter what Ya do!
    Master guide 212

Thanks me too!

Quote Originally Posted by ryansven View Post
    Thank you, I will check with them as well. My plan was to float hunt it if drawn but now since Game and Fish won't do anything about the 10 year apply deal for my wife we need to do what we can to give her a chance since she will have had a baby 1 month prior. If we would have known when we applied my wife wouldn't have applied but oh well!! Thanks Again
    Do you really think that F&G should "do something" to allow for your wife becoming pregnant and not being able to fully take advantage of this tag she drew?? Seems like the blame should be on you two, not F&G. What other reasons would you think that F&G should "do something" when a person can't use a tag? Broken leg? Cancer? Can't get time off job? Heart attack? ..... And what exactly do you think F&G should do?

Quote Originally Posted by CapnMike View Post
    Do you really think that F&G should "do something" to allow for your wife becoming pregnant and not being able to fully take advantage of this tag she drew?? Seems like the blame should be on you two, not F&G. What other reasons would you think that F&G should "do something" when a person can't use a tag? Broken leg? Cancer? Can't get time off job? Heart attack? ..... And what exactly do you think F&G should do?
    I can see why F&G is partly responsible for his wife condition. When they found out she got a Bison tag they celebrated and she got pregnant. Soooooooo indirectly F&G is responsible for his actions. I also think they have a good case for asking F&G for child support. IMO

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
    I can see why F&G is partly responsible for his wife condition. When they found out she got a Bison tag they celebrated and she got pregnant. Soooooooo indirectly F&G is responsible for his actions. I also think they have a good case for asking F&G for child support. IMO
    Maybe F&G could sell "Drawing Permit Insurance", like the airlines Trip Insurance. This would cover injuries or health conditions solely related to the announcement of drawing permit winners. Could be a moneymaker!

ok enough of the jokes point taken. I never onced blamed F&G as I said regs are regs. you deal with cards you are delt. Back to the intent of the post getting ATVs to farewell!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast