Thread: Kuiu Icon pack for my wife

Default Kuiu Icon pack for my wife

My wife needs a comfortable sheep hunting pack. Have anybody's wives used the Kuiu Icon pack? If so, was the belt and chest straps comfortable? Was the frame stiff enough? Thanks!

Have you looked at the Icon or Icon Pro?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Default Kuiu Icon pack for my wife

Yep. Icon pro

I've heard of people's first and second generation packs failing under heavy loads. If she's just taking some nominal weight it may be fine, but for a serious pack I would look elsewhere.

Brett

Hold the fluff.....get a Stone Glacier pack, and be done with it!
    "Mountains are not fair or unfair, they are just dangerous" ~ Reinhold Messner

I was going to say the exact same thing as ramhunter. Love my SG pack. Fits great, hauls a load, and is super comfortable.

I like the new Icon and Icon Pro.
    My wife hasn't tried it yet but it's versatility and adjustability leads me to suspect that it will be fine for her and it's great in load sling mode.

I'm first the admit to being a KUIU fanboy, love their clothes. With that said their packs have had a horrible reputation, maybe they have figured it out maybe not, I would not trust one at this time for a sheep hunt.

I have been using Kifaru packs for years, now the owner and without question some of the best customer service of any company around. My wife uses one of their packs and a good friend's wife as well. They are custom made and adjusted to the measurements you send in.

I would also trust StoneGlacier packs although I have no personal experience with them, I have heard nothing but good reviews from folks I know and trust.

My wife and her Kifaru pack.

My wife packing out her first Ram.

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

I used the Icon 5200 pack last year on a coues hunt, the poor man's sheep hunt, and had no issues with the frame or pack itself.

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    I'm first the admit to being a KUIU fanboy, love their clothes. With that said their packs have had a horrible reputation, maybe they have figured it out maybe not, I would not trust one at this time for a sheep hunt.

I have been using Kifaru packs for years, now the owner and without question some of the best customer service of any company around. My wife uses one of their packs and a good friend's wife as well. They are custom made and adjusted to the measurements you send in.

I would also trust StoneGlacier packs although I have no personal experience with them, I have heard nothing but good reviews from folks I know and trust.

My wife and her Kifaru pack.

My wife packing out her first Ram.
    I agree, I tried a Kuiu pack last year, one bear hunt and it is shot... I like Kuiu clothes a lot but cannot recommend a Kuiu pack after my experience.

My lady partner has the stone glacier sky 5100. Got over 60 miles and up to 50 pounds in it. Didnt connect on a ram so couldnt test it loaded. The pack fits her well and shes 5'4" 115. Sorry no experience with the kuiu.
    NRA life Member JVJ

Donít get me wrong, Iím a huge Kuiu fan, but not with their packs, I canít count the folks Iíve heard or read that were unhappy with the Kuiu packs, Iím sure there may be folks out there that are unhappy with their SG packs, but I havenít heard of any yet!
    "Mountains are not fair or unfair, they are just dangerous" ~ Reinhold Messner

There are many great packs out there that don't cost an arm and a leg. Kuiu has had issues with their packs, not as bad as their tents though.
    Stone Glacier makes great stuff, but there are other far less expensive alternatives.

Look at Rab...Osprey.
    My wife likes hers, fits perfect, carries a bundle...and I think I gave $60 bucks for it in the classifieds here.
    I use an Osprey aether 85 and can't say enough about the comfort and hauling capabilities. $110 used...also in the AOD classifieds...
    Hunt after high country hunt they keep performing like they are supposed to! Light in, heavy out!
    Proud to be an American!

I am also a fan of kuiu, but we have have the icon and the ultra out with loads. Every friend along with myself have had nothing but problems with out kuiu packs. If you want to go light get a quality backpack. Osprey or something similar. I'm going back to my Barney back except for the ultralight stuff

I have heard KUIU has fixed the issues in the older icon packs. I have heard from most people that if you are going with a KUIU pack it should be the icon pro, and not the older icon. I have the 3200 pro on order right now, and am looking forward to using it when it arrives.

I have an ICON 7200 1st gen. Had some issues with the harness and they took care of it. No problems since. Hauled half a caribou two years ago in it and it handled just fine. Its not as comfortable as my osprey pack but it hauls a lot more. Haven't done any super long hikes with it. Can't compare to a stone glacier as I've never used one. KUIU customer service is some of the best. The biggest down side is same with their clothes, you can't walk into your local store and do a test fit.

Best of luck

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by fullkurl View Post
    There are many great packs out there that don't cost an arm and a leg.
    I can't believe you actually said that around here...!!!....(if you get my drift).......lol
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!