Thread: Dry Suit Footwear

Default Dry Suit Footwear

Just finished purchasing a new dry suit, and now need to think about footwear (it never ends!). I'm relatively new to sea kayaking and would appreciate input on good products and sizing. Do I purchase a size larger than my normal foot size? Warmth factor? Protection for suits sock etc..

What type of kayak? I use sit on tops and a few of us wear the neoprene style wading boots. Definitely several sizes larger so I can get at least two pairs of winter grade socks on.

I don't have any experience with sit inside kayaks.

AlaskaKayakFisher.com
    Guidesak.blogspot.com
    My personal pages...I'm not a guide.

Default footwear

Quote Originally Posted by Kardinal_84 View Post
    What type of kayak? I use sit on tops and a few of us wear the neoprene style wading boots. Definitely several sizes larger so I can get at least two pairs of winter grade socks on.

I don't have any experience with sit inside kayaks.

AlaskaKayakFisher.com
    Guidesak.blogspot.com
    My personal pages...I'm not a guide.
    Looks like I'm talking to the right guy. I have a 14' Hobie Pro Angler (foot propelled).

Quote Originally Posted by tom1tom View Post
    Looks like I'm talking to the right guy. I have a 14' Hobie Pro Angler (foot propelled).

SWEET!!!! You are going to love it! The PA is getting closer to a boat than a kayak, but that has its pros and cons. Where are you based out of???

I have a couple of Hobie Outbacks and a mini-x.

I use these:

http://www.caddiswaders.com/products...oes&product=68

I am going to get one of these...haven't decided.
    http://kokatat.com/products/footwear...g25stqc9p44g77

You will see a lot of kayakers wearing crocs and sandals. But you definitely want something comfortable as the PA is foot propelled...duh?

Two layers of winter grade wool or polypro socks, my drysuit, and these neoprene booties keep me ok down to about 15deg F all day long. No issues above 32 deg. Above 40, I wear only one pair of socks. Make sure they are big enough, too tight and it defeats the purpose of keeping warm.

Good luck!!! If you are in southcentral Alaska, let us know! Half a dozen of us will be fishing the Winter King Derby in Homer and we have an informal Kayak Tournament scheduled for May 30 and 31 out of Whiskey Gulch by Anchor Point.

What kind of socks does your dry suit have? If they are neoprene or latex, definitely get a size up. If they are the same material as your suit, ie goretex fabric, then your regular size may work. When I was regularly wearing drysuits, regardless of the bootie material, I wore a size up salomon techamphibian shoe. They are pretty adjustable, comfortable, and offer great walk/hike ability while wearing your suit. A neoprene boot/shoe may be more comfortable and warmer while in your sea kayak.
    "The North wind is cold no matter what direction it's blowing"

Does anybody retrofit those foot powered kayaks with clipless pedals from bicycles? I would expect something on the order of a 20% increase in sustained power, compared to those platforms with toe straps.

In which case, the footwear would be a good pair of mountain bike cycling shoes.

I wear Muck 3/4 boots with my drysuit...a size bigger than normal shoes. Never had cold feet.