Thread: Maybe I messed up

Default Maybe I messed up

I don't know what I was thinking but I loaded up about 40 .500 S&W's with 24 gr of Longshot with the 350 gr Berrys. I have some data that shows a 23 gr Max load for a 350 gr bullet. I don't have much of any data on Berrys bullets so I used data off of another 350 gr bullet. What I'm concerned about is should I pull the bullets and reload them with a lighter powder charge? Would the 1 grain over Max be dangerous?

If you gotta ask . . .

Yes one grain can be the difference, pressure gain is not liner to increase in powder charge and often a 10% increase in charge when near max pressure can nearly double pressure.

Real world you are talking a tad over 4% charge increase and likely that will be 10-20% jump in pressure, now 500 S&W is rated at 65,000psi and I've never seen data @ over about 50,000psi (due to extreme recoil) . . . so at 20% your likely around 60Kish.

BUT . . . your playing chicken with a bomb man! If you got to ask that says your instincts are saying no and you should ALWAYS listen to that little voice that is trying to keep you alive . . . it's absolutely never worth it to push the boundaries in reloading. Always start low and work up your load in your gun, never start with the max and run with it because every gun is different.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

In addition to what Andy said, Berry's are not like normal bullets. Unless there's something different about the .500 ones you got, they are plated, not jacketed. Under that very thin plating of copper is soft lead. They don't like max loads, or anything close to max. Normally, Berry's plated use data for lead. While a max load under Berry's won't necessarily blow up, they will likely be very inaccurate, and Ive seen them shed the plating at high velocities. They are a low velocity plinking round. I would also take a close look at them after you pull them, as the thin jacketing damages easily from the process of seating/crimping/pulling.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I've got a collet puller coming in the mail. I really didn't want to shoot them once I discovered my error but haven't reloaded or shot pistol powders before and wanted to ask about the 1 grain over . Some of the powders have such a small amount of powder in the case 1 grain could be really unsafe. Anyway , live and learn. Thanks for your advise. Howard

Looking at the Hodgdon website, the max load data for a 350 gr. projectile for the .500 S&W Magnum for Longshot is 23.0 gr. @1,602 FPS @50,000 PSI. You are definitely over max charge and would be wise to start at the minumum charge and work up.

Most of the Berry's bullets I have reloaded with put a max velocity of 1,250 FPS. These bullets are copper plated, and if the thin jacketing is damaged by too much crimp or velocity, you might get a less than satisfactory load. I've had some 10mm bullets keyhole because of jacketing damage. The Berry's are mainly cheap plinking projectiles, and are meant for under 1,250 FPS. Definitely check the Berry's velocity limits on the bullet box.

Longshot is primarily a shotgun powder. I understand folks have been forced to use shotgun powders as substitutes for pistol powder because of shortages. I will say 30 grs. of Longshot pushing 1 1/8 of shot in a 12 gauge load will just obliterate any clay target, and get the attention of other shooters because of the loud KABOOM! Love this powder!

Longshot may be primarily a shotgun powder to some, however it is listed in nearly every manual in pistol data as well. I use it in .45acp almst exclusively, that is when I can find it.

Quote Originally Posted by DeadWolf View Post
    Longshot may be primarily a shotgun powder to some, however it is listed in nearly every manual in pistol data as well. I use it in .45acp almst exclusively, that is when I can find it.
    I dunno, Hodgdon seems to think of Longshot as a shotgun powder.

No doubt about the versatility of Longshot powder for pistol loads. I've had the same luck with another shotgun powder, Red Dot, in .45ACP. Shotgun and pistol powders are often interchangeable.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Longshot_Label.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	64.9 KB 
ID:	83774

Quote Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
    Looking at the Hodgdon website, the max load data for a 350 gr. projectile for the .500 S&W Magnum for Longshot is 23.0 gr. @1,602 FPS @50,000 PSI. You are definitely over max charge and would be wise to start at the minumum charge and work up.

Most of the Berry's bullets I have reloaded with put a max velocity of 1,250 FPS. These bullets are copper plated, and if the thin jacketing is damaged by too much crimp or velocity, you might get a less than satisfactory load. I've had some 10mm bullets keyhole because of jacketing damage. The Berry's are mainly cheap plinking projectiles, and are meant for under 1,250 FPS. Definitely check the Berry's velocity limits on the bullet box.

Longshot is primarily a shotgun powder. I understand folks have been forced to use shotgun powders as substitutes for pistol powder because of shortages. I will say 30 grs. of Longshot pushing 1 1/8 of shot in a 12 gauge load will just obliterate any clay target, and get the attention of other shooters because of the loud KABOOM! Love this powder!
    I don't know about any other Berry's bullets but the 350gr .500's I've got says on the box that they have a 2000 fps max velocity. I'm not planning on shooting them that hot but they should be OK in the 1400-1700 fps range.

Quote Originally Posted by div4gold View Post
    I don't know about any other Berry's bullets but the 350gr .500's I've got says on the box that they have a 2000 fps max velocity. I'm not planning on shooting them that hot but they should be OK in the 1400-1700 fps range.
    Good to know Berry's upped the velocity to 2,000 FPS. Have fun in shooting your reloads.

Good to know Berry's upped the velocity to 2,000 FPS. Have fun in shooting your reloads.
    I've been having fun already About the only load I haven't settled on is with the Longshot and Trailboss. I've got a load with the H4227 that shoots fine. I'm going to do some more test rounds with the longshot and trailboss and get the .500 dirty Thanks to all of you guys that chimed in. Howard

I dunno, Hodgdon seems to think of Longshot as a shotgun powder.
    Many, if not most, common handgun powders were originally developed as shotgun powders. There is lots of handgun load data utilizing Longshot available through Hodgdon and others.
    LONGSHOT is the high velocity pistol choice in 38 Super, 40 S&W, and 357 SIG at lower than usual operating pressures. Available in 1 lb., 4 lb. & 8 lb. containers. https://www.hodgdon.com/shotpist.html
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Many, if not most, common handgun powders were originally developed as shotgun powders. There is lots of handgun load data utilizing Longshot available through Hodgdon and others.
    I concur.

In its entirety, this is how Hodgdon is marketing Longshot powder:

"This spherical powder is the most versatile shotshell heavy field propellant Hodgdon has ever produced. Great loads in 10 ga., 12 ga., 16 ga., 20 ga., and 28 ga. are shown in Hodgdon’s Reloading Data Center. This propellant provides true magnum velocities with superb patterns. In addition, LONGSHOT is the best choice for those competitors shooting games such as "Buddy", "Annie Oakleys" and more. LONGSHOT is the high velocity pistol choice in 38 Super, 40 S&W, and 357 SIG at lower than usual operating pressures. Available in 1 lb., 4 lb. & 8 lb. containers."

And if anyone knows where to get some more Longshot please let me know : )

Quote Originally Posted by DeadWolf View Post
    And if anyone knows where to get some more Longshot please let me know : )
    http://www.hyattgunstore.com/hodgdon...-canister.html