Thread: artic oven tent/ kodiak sring bear/karluk lake

Default artic oven tent/ kodiak sring bear/karluk lake

anyone have an opinion on if i should bring ao tent to kodiak? I have never traveled with the tent, best way to ship to kodiak? Or should i go lighter? i will have a boat and motor, and finally, is it worth 1200 dollars trespass fee to hunt koniak lands

thanks

Bears will like your tent....nice an chewy

Put it this way......I doubt very much you'll regret bringing it.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Do not pay the trespass fee, best part of that area is not on their land anyways. Smart having a boat and motor.

you can rent one from Kodiak Kamps as well.

AK Air cargo. Bring everything. Glass from the boat. Hunt public lands. Put in the time and you'll get a nice bear. Spend the money to hunt public lands with the right gear instead of paying the fee. But, if you do hunt private land, definitely pay the fee and don't try to sneak one by.

Take the AO, I did. Shipped it in one of those large action packers that can be locked. Get a electric fence around your tent and put your rubber boat inside at night. You will see plenty of bear on public lands.

If I were you and have an AO tent I definitely would. A few years ago I took an AO tent for my spring Kodiak brown bear hunt. My partner and I stayed warm and dry each night. No comparison to a conventional tent if you are willing to deal with the extra bulk/weight. I used air cargo to ship much of my gear a few days prior to my arrival.

Regards,

Well have you tried booking a cabin? Bear fence is a good,great idea. Take enough time , 10 days at least to account for weather and patterning the area. But this is one of the best areas on kodiak and you will love your ao if it has a stove. The ability to dry your clothes will keep you hunting longer.
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

I would recommend the Arctic Oven. And bring a electric fence for the tent and boat. A great place to set up is Bear Point. Kinda a central point on the lake so you can hunt to the north or to the south. And there is plenty of bears either way you go. Good luck.