Thread: Fiber optic sight pin question

Default Fiber optic sight pin question

Pulled out my Creed XS today to shoot for the first time since my shoulder dislocated last year. Anyways, I have a 5-pin CBE sniper sight which is only about 18 Months old from time of purchase that I use with a peep. My question is: Do some fiber optic pins lose there luminosity through time? The ones on my sight are not as bright as they used to be ( shot it inside and outside), I even sat it outside during the day to see if it will luminate but they seem very dull and not bright from when I first bought the sight. I still have a copper john 5 pin and it is still bright, and its like 5 years old. Could it be maybe CBE is using a low quality fiber optic material? Just wondering if anyone has seen this problem, I love the Sight, but I would like it to be bright as it should. I have replaced fiber optics before with other sights but from the looks of this model it looks like it would be a pain.

The pins will eventually develop "micro cracks" in them that will cause them to loose their luster. It could be something with the CBE materials that I'm not sure about, but all fiber pins will lose some of their brightness overtime depending on what they have been exposed to.

It shouldn't get the micro crack things in 18 months. If it is, then yeah, that's crappy fiber optics. I've got Hoyt sights from almost 20 years ago that are still bright enough to shoot. Did you change your peep?

It was the fibers, for some reason they got cracked, got em replaced they're good now, thanks