Thread: Larry's legend and versatility

Default Larry's legend and versatility

Starting to think of getting into inflatables and I have to admit that the Pristine Venture Legend has me thinking. I am thinking of getting two and use them as a canoe replacements for my little crew.

I have an upper back injury from Wrestling that flares up when rowing but I can work around it for paddling. I have a folding 17 foot Pakboat canoe but it gets pretty scary in rough water when loaded with 800+ pounds. and like all canoes it isn't hard to tip with a bit of inattention.

The 2 legends I am thinking could be used for

1) Family canoeing expeditions with a bit of extra safety factor 2 adults a pre-teen and a teenager
    2) as a caribou or sheep solo boat for one or two hunters with 1-2 boats
    3) as a caribou or sheep tandem boat for 2-4 hunters (all in the same family so we don't need to get 4 caribou, 2-3 will do.
    4) as 2 boats solo, 1 moose getter in shallow skinny streams
    5) as an access boat for moderate hikes, or biked in with a trailer or ATV, or air access

What do you think? I am pretty good at maneuvering a canoe, would the Legend paddle a lot different than a regular canoe? I routinely solo an Old Town Tripper and I'd like to know I can continue to get away from the sweepers and strainers that litter some of our skinny rivers, (with a bit of practice).

North61,

In 2014 we had a dozen of the Legends made for field trials for hunting. That said, our focus was to find out what the Legend can do for load allowances and maneuverability.

Maneuverability with one person and 240cm Kayak paddle was extremely easy, as you might have seen in the Float Draggin' video in the book. Response to kayak strokes was very responsive in all situations, even when loaded. In my opinion, a rowing kit for this boat is not necessary due to its narrow width.

Tandem paddling with kayak paddles was also easy. The flat, slick floor surface provides great response in tight corners and chutes. IMO, 2 people and 2-4 caribou (or a couple of sheep) and minimal gear would be a good fit.

Seating arrangement for solo: I prefer to attach my seat sitting just behind midline (center), which gives perfect leverage for strokes. When tandem, I arrange seats 3-feet from the bow and 3-feet from the stern, with a seat sling in the middle for meat or gear. Personal backpacks clipped in to the parameter cord around the boat and placed just behind the paddlers. This provides ample room for meat and/or other gear in the center for load displacement.

Hope this helps answer some of your questions.

Larry

Are you going to have any specials on the legend .

I'll honor the Show price that we'll offer in a few weeks at the Anchorage Outdoors Show.

$1700 for the basic pkg
    $1800 for the basic pkg plus a 4-piece kayak paddle
    $2200 for the row pkg

We now have 10 left in stock. Color options: Green, Gray, Red.

I have a special order of Yellow Legends being made now and delivered in late April. There are now only 3 available from that production.

Larry

as for versatility...

A couple of Legend with row kits prepared for an air drop

Legends on sleds ready to bust off the ridgeline. Note each one rolled differently...my partner pulling the green boat and gear took 3X longer than my drag setup. Both sucked by the way!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (95.1 KB, 106 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (63.9 KB, 103 views)

More versatility...

my partner used my boat for a crash pad after the exhausting drag fest. This was day 3, he's still recovering!

Feeling better after a good rest and having our boats loaded for go-time. We appreciated the narrow width of the Legends.
    • File Type: jpg 4.jpg (54.0 KB, 104 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (83.1 KB, 103 views)

and final versatility...

impressive draft over this 4" riffle

great performance with maneuvers
    • File Type: jpg 5.jpg (89.5 KB, 104 views)
    • File Type: jpg 6.jpg (80.5 KB, 116 views)

Thanks for the info Larry,nice looking piece of equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Bartlett View Post
    and final versatility...

impressive draft over this 4" riffle

great performance with maneuvers
    That looks outstanding!