Thread: .22 Long Rifle vs. .22 Magnum (For Alaska if ammo is not an issue)

Default .22 Long Rifle vs. .22 Magnum (For Alaska if ammo is not an issue)

If ammo was not an issue........is there any advantage to the .22 Long Rifle over the .22 Magnum in Alaska only. I am thinking of disposing of all of my .22 Long Rifle firearms and only have a small covey of .22 magnums.

The .22 magnum is much louder than the long rifle. Any other big disadvantages to the .22 Magnum.......???

Magnum via a Winchester Pump.

There is no better fur rifle/cartridge combo for all around use.

Louder , yes, deeper penatration at 150 yards is the bonus.

Oh, ya, you cant find .22mags in the couch, glove box, lawn, beach, ect like you can .22lr ~~LOL!!~~
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

AGL, I have both and rarely shoot the lr. I love the magnum and other than ammo being a little more expensive I can't really see any other disadvantages other than noise, and the mag has a lot more power.
    Kodiak Island Adventures
    907-539-6474
    Shearwater 38' Allen Marine Catamaran
    Lana J 40' USCG inspected

With ammo not being a factor, then I'd take the 22 mag any day hands down. I don't even think that the mag is that much louder than the LR. At least not so much louder that it would make me choose the LR.

Tried real hard to make the 22 mag work for snowshoe hare. If shots wander even a little down into the neck, the whole front shoulders was blood shot beyond recovery. And that was with solids rather than HP. Only solution was switching to the old Winchester WRF at greatly reduced velocities. And WRF is mostly a collector now. When WRF dried up, I dumped all my 22 mag rifles.

Obviously for me small game is more important than fur when it comes to rimfire. My reasoning was that if I needed to punch fur, I'd use my Hornet. The reasoning still works for me.

I agree with others if ammo is not a problem to find and if the price was close to the same I would pick the 22 magnum every time. It hits harder on small game and it is a good bit flatter shooting within its range limit. I also have had much less duds with 22 magnum and I am sure if I counted I have had easily a few hundred dud 22lr rounds that could have killed what I wanted if they would have went pop instead of thunk!!! I know if you compare them all that quality 22lr is only a few bucks less than quality 22mag so I would go 22 mag.

Keep the thoughts, feelings, opinions, experiences coming. I have way more .22 magnum ammo on hand than I will ever need (some of it cost $1.90 box).

The 22mag works better on things bigger than normal small game. I don't mind paying twice as much as it will do more than twice as much.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

.22 long rifle ammo is cheaper than .22 mag, especially when you can buy it in 500 round cartons. If you're just plinking something in the head, long rifle is the way to go. One big advantage of the mag tho is the birdshot loads will actually kill something where the .22 lr is pretty weak.

But if you're going to go for a snappy, accurate long range rimfire cartridge, don't forget the .17 HMR. It compares favorably with the .22 mag and is much flatter and more accurate shooting.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

That is how I see it also. For my applications I really don't have a justification for .22 LR rifles. So I am going to sell them.

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    The 22mag works better on things bigger than normal small game. I don't mind paying twice as much as it will do more than twice as much.

Interesting opinions, I'm a bit surprised actually.

I really prefer a standard velocity round nose .22lr for small game and anything bigger I use my .223 AR for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have both a 22lr and a 22mag. They are both set up for different types of hunting, the 22lr for small game and the 22mag for fox/coyote. They are both fun to shoot and both get plenty of use.

If you have a fine .22lr bolt action, I'd keep it. I have been enjoying my CZ-452 Trainer with CCI-Quiet ammo. That is like shooting with a silencer. No hearing protection required. This makes shooting time with my kids a lot more fun.

I too hunt with my .22mag most, but I carry a super light weather proof Ruger 22/45 Lite in my backpack when hiking for any small game I might encounter on the trail that looks tasty.

Sobie2

I haven't checked in awhile......can you still find 22 mag ammo in most the stores fairly easily...???
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Any of you rimfire hunters ever use the 5mm magnum? I have 2 of them, and ammo is once again available. Awesome round with great ballistics. I haven't used mine on critters yet.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    I haven't checked in awhile......can you still find 22 mag ammo in most the stores fairly easily...???
    I think .22 mag is more scarce than .22 lr. Right now.
    While I occasionally find .22lr I have yet to see any .22mag in the last couple of years in store shelves.
    They are usually right next to each other and I usually check for both when in any store that sells ammo.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeRoss View Post
    Any of you rimfire hunters ever use the 5mm magnum? I have 2 of them, and ammo is once again available. Awesome round with great ballistics. I haven't used mine on critters yet.
    I had a 5mm back in the 70s for a boat gun. Pretty good shooter. Unfortunately if fell overboard and I lost it.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

Quote Originally Posted by twodux View Post
    I had a 5mm back in the 70s for a boat gun. Pretty good shooter. Unfortunately if fell overboard and I lost it.
    Have any ammo left?
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeRoss View Post
    Have any ammo left?
    Now that's funny right there!

Sobie2

Valid question.......