Thread: Whoops.... ATF Publishing Error regarding M855

Default Whoops.... ATF Publishing Error regarding M855

Nothing to analyze here folks, just a publishing mistake. No AP ammo exemptions revoked @NRA @NSSF. See http://ow.ly/K2vj9
    Retweet
    Favorite

http://townhall.com/tipsheet/katiepa...stake-n1967168

http://www.atf.gov/sites/default/fil...hing_error.pdf

Notice of Publishing Error
    On Feb. 13, 2015, ATF released for public comment a proposed framework, including legal and technicalanalysis, to guide its determination on what ammunition is "primarily intended for sporting purposes" forpurposes of granting exemptions to the Gun Control Actís prohibition on Armor Piecing
    Ammunition. This proposed framework is posted for public comment only; no final decisions have beenmade as to its adoption.

Media reports have noted that the 2014 ATF Regulation Guide published online does not contain a listingof the exemptions for Armor Piercing Ammunition, and concluding that the absence of this listingindicates these exemptions have been rescinded.
    Please be advised that ATF has not rescinded any Armor Piercing Ammunition exemption, and the factthey are not listed in the 2014 online edition of the regulations, was an error, which has no legal impact onthe validity of the exemptions. The existing exemptions for armor piercing ammunition, which apply to5.56 mm (.223) SS 109 and M855 projectiles (identified by a green coating on the projectile tip), and theU.S .30-06 M2AP projectile (identified by a black coating on the projectile tip), remain in effect.
    The listing of Armor Piercing Ammunition exemptions can be found in the 2005 ATF Regulation Guideon page 166, which is posted [COLOR=rgb(1.960000%, 38.800000%, 75.700000%)]here.[/COLOR]
    The 2014 Regulation Guide will be corrected in PDF format to include the listing of Armor PiercingAmmunition exemptions and posted shortly. The e-book/iBook version of the Regulation Guide will becorrected in the near future. ATF apologizes for any confusion caused by this publishing error.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

So what this is saying is that M855, SS109 and black tip 30.06 still fall under the exemption and there is no ban... As of now? Did I read it correctly?

Yes please explain. I see someone has 855 advertised on AK List for $700/1000.

It means someone at ATK knew someone at ATF when they needed some stock cleared out. I think.

Have you guys been following the proposed M855 ban? It's in the works now but not finalized yet. We are now in the public comment period. But it was discovered last week that according to the new 2014 ATF Regulation Guide M855 had been omitted from the exemption list. Meaning that ATF had already published that it had been banned! Now they had to back peddle and say it was a "publishing error". So, a 250 page document and the "publishing error" just happens to be and error that declares M855 banned?!?! ya, ok...
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

The BATFeces scum and Gruppenfuhrer Holder have realized their position is legally untenable and are back-pedaling.

To them it just means finding another way.
    Now what ?

No to be a conspiracy theory guy but the Army did say they were going to switch to a green non lead bullet as the ss109 and the m855 has a tendency to just drill straight thru an enemy instead of fragmenting like the old xm193 did!! If they have a huge surplus of m855 or ss109 and they then decide they are switching to a new lead free green bullet what better way to sell off all their stock at a higher price than they paid for it than to have the ATF threaten to ban it so all of us will pay tripple for it all in a matter of days so they can get all their new ammo made for free on our dime???? I'm not saying this is fact just seems pretty odd to me and I am active duty military but don't trust the folks who sign my pay check!!! Just saying!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by YotaTRD4x4 View Post
    . . . so they can get all their new ammo made for free on our dime????
    Sorry to bring bad news but its for free on our dime anyway . . . they are so good at spending other peoples' money that if they could get away with it they would gladly (on top of the new ammo contract) pay double to have the old stuff destroyed on our dime so that it won't get into our hands.

I'm glad you at least don't trust them as they haven't ever earned any trust but the first rule of government is that government NEVER does anything just to save money, it's not their money so they just dig deeper in our pockets to do whatever they want.

Thanks for your service, stay safe.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Andy,

i get what you mean but I still think they used it as a way to line their pockets so to speak. I know how much the govt wastes, hell I see it each day at work!!! It's end of fiscal year when we can't get winter clothes or boots and they buy big screen tv's and other office garbage we don't need but always tell us "oh this money is from another fund and the clothing money is all gone".

Quote Originally Posted by YotaTRD4x4 View Post
    Andy,

i get what you mean but I still think they used it as a way to line their pockets so to speak. I know how much the govt wastes, hell I see it each day at work!!! It's end of fiscal year when we can't get winter clothes or boots and they buy big screen tv's and other office garbage we don't need but always tell us "oh this money is from another fund and the clothing money is all gone".
    hmmm, sounds like the oil industry.

Ae it's the good ole Air Force but I guess any agency the Govt has their hands in does it too!!