Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: State bill on harvest tag fees and more....

Default Fee increases....thoughts?

http://m.newsminer.com/news/alaska_n....html?mode=jqm

I actually don't have a problem with up the fees for hunting/fishing lic as they haven't really changed in years. However, I'm not a fan of paying for harvast tickets. Just my opinion. I hate giving more money when I know it will be more than likely poorly managed etc. thoughts?
    "If I could shoot a game bird and still not hurt it, the way I can take a trout on a fly and release it, I doubt if I would kill another one." George Bird Evans

I'm all for it - compared to what nonresidents pay in the lower 48 states - tags in Alaska are CHEAP for the nonresident. Plus Alaska has unique game species and that should have an additional monetary value. Compare Wyoming to Montana to Colorado to Nevada, etc - they all basically have the game species. So they are competing against each other for non resident hunters to come to their state. As oil prices have declined I'm not surprised this is being proposed.
    Try to raise resident prices - like by charging for harvest tickets - you'll get to see a huge rural vs. urban Alaskan debate.
    Myself, I'm cool paying a little more.

It is probably past time that residents started paying for big game tags and at the same time increase the cost for nonresidents. The funds collected are used exclusivly by ADF&G as required by state statute and the funds collected from the sale of licenses and tags are eligible for federal matching funds from the Pittman-Robertson act.

[QUOTE=Sheep Hunter;1466017]It is probably past time that residents started paying for big game tags and at the same time increase the cost for nonresidents. The funds collected are used exclusivly by ADF&G as required by state statute and the funds collected from the sale of licenses and tags are eligible for federal matching funds from the Pittman-Robertson act.[/QUOTE

I don't always have a huge amount of confidence in how ADFG always uses their funds at times.
    "If I could shoot a game bird and still not hurt it, the way I can take a trout on a fly and release it, I doubt if I would kill another one." George Bird Evans

I think it is an excellent idea. Every dollar we contribute is matched 3:1 by federal Pittman Roberts funds, so we'd be getting a lot of bang for our buck. If F&G had better funding they would be able to better manage our fish and game populations by being able to fly more population surveys, etc. Apart from that, it costs them money to print, distribute, collect, and analyze harvest tickets. It is asinine that we don't contribute at least a nominal amount to support that system.

What Brian said.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Default State bill on harvest tag fees and more....

So I got wind of this from a guy at work. Sure enough, here it is in black and white.

http://www.legis.state.ak.us/PDF/29/Bills/HB0137A.PDF

Proposal looks like it raises all hunting related fees about 50% (so something that did cost $100 would now cost $150). Except for residents, ours would go WAY up. Basically from $0 to what is listed below.

Bison.................................$100
    Caribou (each)....................$15
    Deer (each)........................$10
    Elk (each)..........................$20
    Goat (each).......................$50
    Moose (each).....................$20
    Sheep (each).....................$50
    Wolf (each).......................$10
    Wolverine (each)................$10

A few thoughts on this from me....for the most part I don't want to see fee increases on this kind of stuff, but I'm mostly ok with the cost of my license going up a little ($39 would become $50 for fishing and hunting). But hiking all these fees for caribou, moose, etc???? Not so up for that. Especially for predator tags (bear, wolf, etc). How many guys would be hunting bears if these tags cost $50? Sure for a place like Kodiak or maybe a guy that has a bait station, but for guys that are going moose hunting and MIGHT see a bear...probably not happening.

I don't want to sound like a guy that just wants to stick it to non-residents, but yeah...raise their fees. For the most part with the way their fees and other costs are (travel, lodging, transport, guides, etc), raising their tag fee a little isn't a big difference.

I'm guessing that there are a LOT of resident tags that are issued that aren't seriously used. So somewhere some politician or bureaucrat is looking at thousands of tags and thinking we're all going to be getting those same numbers of tags and raising a bunch of money for the state to waste (I mean spend... . In reality, when I go on a sheep hunt, I'll no longer get a bear tag, bou tag, moose tag, etc. Unless I'm seriously going to hunt those animals as well. The amount raised by this would be minimal compared to what someone is dreaming up.

And yeah, I realize that these fees would result in matching federal funds (which are also coming from our money). But what is all that extra research going to really tell us? Sheep are dying in avalanches? Raise the extra money through non-resident fees and making more ammo available for us to buy.

I don't know about you guys, but I'll be contacting my rep and senator next week on this one.

No way Ray! However, for those of you who feel the need to 'donate' some funds that you's feel that F and G so desperately need, feel free to do so. Even start your own funding mechanism if your heart so desires.
    Until our govt starts showing some restraint in wasteful programs, nobody should offer a cent. There are so MANY wasteful programs run by the govt that they could use the money saved by any number of them and use IT to pay for F and G projects ten times over. While I'm sure the potential donators FEEL it is only their duty to help out the cause, they act only as 'enablers' to a system run amuck with waste, greed, and corruption.
    But by all means, if you guys really want to 'donate', go for it. There's all kinds of methods for helping out, I'm sure.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

We have harvest tickets for everything in SE and few complains about no game. What better way to controll and learn about game numbers.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Worth every cent and great way to learn game numbers.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Time for us Alaskans to pull on our big boy pants and pay our fair share. Money talks, people, and if you don't pay, you don't get to say. I will be heading into the woods with a pocket full of happily purchased tags for every legal animal I might encounter.
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

The end of an era....we can all say we hunted in the good old days.

I can understand a license fee increase but I am opposed to tag fees. I would like to see our state and federal government utilize our current tax dollars more responsibly before they start pulling more money from our pockets. I provide the government with a lot of my money through my business, property taxes and personal taxes. I'm really not interested in giving them any more. Let them hit up some of the other user groups out there. Instituting those fees now will only lead to increases on them in the future. There are a lot of things government can do to control spending, I wish they would focus on that more than try to find ways to squeeze more money from people.

I wonder why he wants to decrease the fishing from 24 to 20...?

No way is it going through with incorrect prices listed for current licences... couldn't he have done some research?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    If F&G had better funding they would be able to better manage our fish and game populations by being able to fly more population surveys, etc. Apart from that, it costs them money to print, distribute, collect, and analyze harvest tickets. It is asinine that we don't contribute at least a nominal amount to support that system.
    New technologies are out there that could significantly reduce every aspect of what you described. There are companies that can perform aerial survey's using drones at a fraction of the cost that fish and game performs these tasks with. Drones are being used in a wide variety of businesses including agricultural. We didn't get aerial survey's this year for moose in 20A because of lack of snow. Put a drone on a grid out there and use infrared at night and you will get more accurate counts and eliminate the "conditions" issues. If Fish and Game can't figure it out, hire an outside firm to do it and cut that section of government out of the equation.

How many companies out there do you think would jump at the opportunity to handle the harvest tags, drawing permits, etc. Hire private organizations to perform these tasks and get it done by a company that actually cares about spending instead of one that just keeps putting their hand out for more.

I'm surprised that so many are willing to shell out more money to government at a time where I hear so many people complaining about overspending and taxing. There are better, more efficient ways to handle this.

He was too busy trying to utilize gov't to aid his former employer.

"Two months after retiring from a job at the state’s only active coal mine, an Alaska House member is sponsoring a bill to give the Legislature veto power over the state’s plan to comply with proposed federal rules aimed at cutting carbon emissions from coal-fired power plants."

Looks like we elected the wrong people they raised every business license this year also I bet they will also give themselves a big fat pay raise

Looks like we elected the wrong people in they raised all business license this year also I bet they will vote for a pay raise also. Just another person not wanting the poor people to hunt if you have money to burn then you can hunt everything. All I have to say is I would love a governor tag but I am too poor to buy one . We the working man needs to stand up and say no more

I think all your going to see is less tags issued, not a lot more money raised.

The closer and closer Alaska becomes to the lower 48 the fewer reasons there are to put up with the distance between here and family.

Quite sad...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast