Thread: 2002 Polaris Xc 800

Default 2002 Polaris Xc 800

Hey I bought a 2002 Polaris XC 800 with VES. It has 840 miles on it and not a scratch that I can see. I got it from a soldier moving to Texas. Paid 2100 for it and was wondering if anyone could tell me a little about what to look for, maybe as far as getting it ready for the snow, etc. Just looking for general info. Also in another forum and got some good info there, but thought I would give you all a chance to put in your two cents. This site was helpful in the past. Thanks

Greg

Hey congrats on the new sled. Sounds like you got a heck of a deal and more than likely you'll have tons of fun with her come snowfall!

Not sure if it was the 01 or 02 800's from Polaris but one of those years they had massive crank shaft issues.

Literally everyone I knew with the 800 lost his crank.

Might want to check into that.

I second that on the cranks. They weren't built for the torque of the 800 motor and from what I've heard they had so much torque put on them when running high RPM's that they would actually bow and break/shear. I've also heard that the mountain guys (RMK'ers) had more problems with them because most mountain guys run wide open throttle a lot more, and the flatlanders (XC'ers) didn't have as much trouble. Do some searching in hadcoresledder for "polaris crank" and whatnot and you will likely find some useful info. My buddy with an 800 had similar problems (more than once).

Default Thanks

Hey guys thanks for the info. I have heard of crank problems before also and I wish I knew around what mileage people started having problems. That way I might be able to tell more of what might have been done. I guess I will just have it gone completely through and go from there. I know I got a deal so if I drop another grand in her I will still be happy, but happier if I do not have to drop it..lol.. Thanks again

Greg

One maintainance thing on those is the VES valves. I would pull them out and clean them, or at least see if they need to be cleaned.

Oven cleaner works great to clean the carbon off.

I had a 02 XC 800. Had the M10 under it. I wasn't very impressed with it power wise. Was a nice sled though.

My brother has a 02 800 RMK and he put the SLP single pipe/can and airbox kit in it. WOW does it wake that motor up. Nice smooth power, flat out impressive.

Only a few more months and you get to try her out! Or take it out to the gravel pit to cool off if you got the itch to run her!

Cheers

edit: I think it was the 2000 and 01s that had the crank problems.

Default Thanks

Man you guys are great. Good info to have and more knowledge for me. I am going to start going through the sled via the manual and then take her to the shop and have it gone through. I can only hope it was the 2000/01 that had the crank problems. Does anyone know when Polaris started using this motor or this sled. I also understand that the VES was something new in 2002?? Just trying to fill my brain. Thanks guys

Greg

Default After market double bearing kit?

I'm not positive but I thought I heard of an aftermarket kit to add a bearing or install a double bearing on the 800's to help with the extra torque. Anyone else know anything?

There are a few outfits outside doing a wide bearing retrofit for the pto side crank bearings. It involves case machining and pressing the new bearing onto the crank. Here's an article discussing the upgrade.

www.snowtechmagazine.com/articles/2004/allsprtcrank.php

I don't have any experience doing this, just talking about it with the guys I ride with who have done it.

Default Thanks

Thanks for the info gentlemen. The article was good and gave me valuable information. I am taking it into Polaris next week and I will have lots of knowledge so with any luck I will have it all squared away come riding time. Thanks again

Greg

Give Curt a call at Fastrax motorsports (253) 848-0908 (formerly Tison performance). They don't use the wide bearing kit in any of their motors, they just build em right. Their smallest motor is 180 hp. with no problems to date.

Indyspecialties in MN is who to talk to about these 800's, best deal on earth for the big bearing upgrade and clutching that will make your's last much longer. The '02 is the strongest 800 bigblock.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!