Thread: Reels, Abel or Nautilus?

Default Reels, Abel or Nautilus?

I am currently shopping for a 9wt reel and i am thinking of a nautilus nv. Abel looks nice but the 2014 reel shoot out says it is overrated and over priced. What do u guys think?

I own several Abels and enjoy the fit, finish and feel. But the shootout is mostly right. New drags, manufacturing methods and functions render other brands and models cheaper, and probably better. I'm kind of ending up with smaller Abel reels for trout and such, while moving beyond them for bigger fish. Largely Chevys and Fords, but if you get right down to nuts and bolts versus price, Abel is getting moldy.

Cheeky makes a sweet reel

Quote Originally Posted by Jan Silvers View Post
    I am currently shopping for a 9wt reel and i am thinking of a nautilus nv. Abel looks nice but the 2014 reel shoot out says it is overrated and over priced. What do u guys think?
    I own both, and both have their places and uses, and they couldn't be more different.

The Nautilus NV is a sealed synthetic drag reel with very low startup inertia and smooth operation throughout its range. If you are not a tinkerer and value lightweight components, this is the reel for you.

Most Abel reels have unsealed cork drags that need to be maintained to provide peak performance. When properly cared for, they can stop anything that swims...but they must be properly cared for.

I use my NV's occasionally for big trout and steelhead, and I use my Abel for king salmon.

Hatch.

But if I had to choose between Nautilus/Abel... I'd take Nautilus every time.

Check out Islander Reels too! They are lessor known than Abel or Tibor, but IMO just as good!

Quote Originally Posted by icb12 View Post
    Hatch.But if I had to choose between Nautilus/Abel... I'd take Nautilus every time.
    Thx guys ill def check them out, but I think I'll go with nautilus