Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Big Ram Killed on the Kenai....

Default Big Ram Killed on the Kenai....

I was pleasantly surprised to hear of a 40" ram being killed in the Kenai Mts. a couple years ago...(surprised I didn't hear about it right after it happened). I don't know him personally, but know "of" the guy that killed it. I'm not going to say who or where for obvious reasons, but if you happen to know about it as well please feel free to pm me and we'll yack about it.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I know someone to ask. I will let you know if I find any info about it.
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

Are the kenai's known for having smaller sheep?

Most of the sheep habitat on the KP is relatively easy to access via the road. Rams there don't tend to live much past "legal". In all likelihood the gene pool is good but it takes time to grow a 40 incher. A ram that size from there is special because most likely it means that ram figured out how to hide well and stick to the most out of the way corners of his range.

It's also special because the guy who took him probably had to work extra hard to get him.
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

The publically available data tells a lot about this ram. It would be really cool to see a photo as the bases are less than 11 inches.

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter Grayson View Post
    Are the kenai's known for having smaller sheep?
    The Kenai sheep are (or at least were?) recognized as being a distinct subspecies - Ovis dalli keniaensis. I've heard anecdotal remarks about horn size being one of the differences, but in looking at the initial report on the subspecies from 1902, it talks mostly about other skull characteristics that were shorter/smaller. It's a pretty interesting read, if a bit dated:

http://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?i...view=1up;seq=3

You can also view it here if that link doesn't work for you:

http://digitallibrary.amnh.org/dspac...pdf?sequence=1

Quote Originally Posted by AK Ray View Post
    The publically available data tells a lot about this ram. It would be really cool to see a photo as the bases are less than 11 inches.
    Curious as to how do you know it was this ram? I just got word..........well, on second though, I'm not gonna get into it out in the open here. If you want to pm me that would be fine.

Thanks.....

Quote Originally Posted by Erik in AK View Post
    Most of the sheep habitat on the KP is relatively easy to access via the road.
    Well, I don't know where you have hunted sheep here on the Kenai, but personally I wouldn't go as far as to say "most". Sure there are "some" areas and a guy can get lucky.....I have. But for most of the areas that I know that hold sheep you're really not going to want to walk in for.....if even possible. When I was young and in tip top sheep shape, the rams that we took meant bushwacking a 30 mile round trip with each hauling a ram and gear out on our backs. That pretty much completely maxed me out. And even at that, it wasn't as far back as we would have liked to have gone.....not even close.

Some might, most won't.....

Oh and btw.....I'm pretty sure this guy got flown in......

Is it just me, or is this kind of like, "Oh, I have a secret...it's really good...no I won't tell you my secret."

This can't be true....no way there was an area that had a 40" ram and didn't have a non resident guide and non resident hunter camped under it after spotting it from there air.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Must be a hard park area or something.

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Well, I don't know where you have hunted sheep here on the Kenai, but personally I wouldn't go as far as to say "most". Sure there are "some" areas and a guy can get lucky.....I have. But for most of the areas that I know that hold sheep you're really not going to want to walk in for.....if even possible. When I was young and in tip top sheep shape, the rams that we took meant bushwacking a 30 mile round trip with each hauling a ram and gear out on our backs. That pretty much completely maxed me out. And even at that, it wasn't as far back as we would have liked to have gone.....not even close.

Some might, most won't.....

Oh and btw.....I'm pretty sure this guy got flown in......
    I was speaking generally of the relative ease with which a significant portion of Kenai rams can be walked to from the road. I accept your correction to my use of "most" regarding habitat. I have hiked some areas on the KP but never hunted sheep there.
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

Only ram taken in September on the Kenai that year...in a .5% draw area. Smallest bases recorded on the Kenai that year too.

Quote Originally Posted by chumsnagger View Post
    Only ram taken in September on the Kenai that year...in a .5% draw area. Smallest bases recorded on the Kenai that year too.
    Do you know the age?

PM sent with basic public data on a sheep or two. Do I know its this ram? No, but data is data and its our data that we all pay for when we buy a hunting license, and you don't need a license to use it.

Curious as to how do you know it was this ram? I just got word..........well, on second though, I'm not gonna get into it out in the open here. If you want to pm me that would be fine.

Thanks.....
    This dude is nearly spilling the beans on that free, easy to find publicly available data, but he/I could be wrong and someone with ancester rights did hard park a sheep in Kenai Fjords and never bothered to have it plugged by F&G.

Quote Originally Posted by chumsnagger View Post
    ....waiting for the next post to be "why don't you post a link to all this public data?"

LOL, the Lawd helps thems thats helps themselfs...I'll help myself to some more AOD sheep conspiracy posts...O_o

I was pleasantly surprised to hear of a 40" ram being killed in the Kenai Mts. a couple years ago...(surprised I didn't hear about it right after it happened). I don't know him personally, but know "of" the guy that killed it. I'm not going to say who or where for obvious reasons, but if you happen to know about it as well please feel free to pm me and we'll yack about it.
    What's wrong with talking openly about a nice ram someone shot? Especially on a draw hunt.

Sheep harvest info is public information anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by whitepalm View Post
    Do you know the age?
    10, but that is according to F&G so you know to question it. Not broomed. There also was a 10 year old 35" not broomed.

Quote Originally Posted by snowcamoman View Post
    Must be a hard park area or something.
    Could somebody please explain to me what 'hard park' means. Maybe I'm setting myself up for some laughs if it's an inside joke or something, but I've seen the term used a couple times and never could figure out exactly what it means.

Hard park is a term for residents of certain areas who are allowed to hunt inside National Parks. It's off limits to everybody else. It's a subsistence hunt. Here's info on it.
    http://www.nps.gov/wrst/learn/manage...ligibility.htm

Doggonit 4mer.............everyone is gonna be hunting Kenai sheep this fall. Look what you've done!!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast