Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trolling Seward

Default Trolling Seward

Hello,
    I'm wantingt to take my family to seward this spring for some earlier fishing than normal. I have a 20ft Super V Alumaweld with a 50Horse, about how far does one have to go out for king fishing, salmon, or even halibut in April or May? Past Caines? Wondering if it's even worth the trip or wait till late summer when the fish enter in the bay more. Excited to get out!! Appreciate your guys advice and feel free to pm me.

Might consider South. Homer/Anchor Point. Less of a boat ride? How far out would I have to go out of Homer??

There are many areas to catch kings out of homer. Any where from less than 1/2 mile to 20+ miles
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

I've heard that which is great news.. I'm just not famaliar at all down there. Good area to start and looking for a good depth to start at?? Wondering if anything ocean floor over a 100ft is to deep? I've heard they like to swim around estimate of 30-50ft down, pending on time of day?

That all depends on where the bait is. If the bait in the area is 300 feet deep, that's where they're going to be.
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

FISHING NUT a 20 FT boat is not over powered [ a little under I thing ] an you can catch kinge in the bay an do it all the time
    [ mwell most of the time ] FOOD for them will make or break the fishing, look for the ball's of bait an stay in the bay an you will get some an look for other boats trolling in the spring an early summer that will help a lot SID

Obviously not as productive as a powerboat but we catch them off of kayaks pretty much year round. Spring will be different for kings with the closures north of bluff point after Apr 1 I think. But as Sid said they are available pretty much all year!

Halibut gets consistent for us around Mid May though we start catching them in April.

Powerboats are already landing a few from the reports I see.

AlaskaKayakFisher.com
    Guidesak.blogspot.com
    My personal pages...I'm not a guide.

Excellent, thank you. One question, what are balls of bait, never heard of that before, I'm kinda new at this. (School of herring?) Did most of my fishing in rivers and lakes, so not sure. Appreciate the tip and an idea to look for?

Appreciate the tips, wanting my kids to get some fish on and I'm still learning the ways of the ocean. Fished rivers and lakes, until getting a bigger boat. Love it out there! Wondering how the spots are across the bay from the spit? Near the islands, Cohen etc? I noticed the ocean floor looks great out near Seldovia, but not sure if my 50 horse would be a good Idea to go that far? Have people been out there before with a fifty horse 4 stroke yamaha, 20ft?

The bait balls can be small cod or needle fish or herring or
    Kings can be anywhere out there as we get into spring there is a run up the bay towards halibut cove of kings, glacier spit and that area.
    Right off the spit can be as good as anywhere in the bay at times!

I've been in Katchemak bay, the mouth of Resurrection/Pony, and Passage Canal in my little 18' searunner (90hp) 3 very memorable times that I wished I weren't there at the time. Pay attention to and heed the weather.

Few of us are likely to be able to ever afford a boat that we'd be comfortable in when the weather really kicks up.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    Few of us are likely to be able to ever afford a boat that we'd be comfortable in when the weather really kicks up.
    Isn't THAT the truth. If you can afford the boat, you can't afford the fuel it seems! Getting better now.

But back to the OP question.... Does anyone hit Seward Early inside the Bay? I was out there in May a few years back and just caught quillback rockfish. Late May early June I have seen my sonar light up with what I think are the reds in the saltwater but couldn't get them to hit.

I've only fished Seward once in early May, and we went well outside the bay, all the way to the Chiswell's and into Aialik Bay. As I recall my friend caught one 30# halibut, we (friend my sons and myself) each had a nice yellow eye and I hooked and released more ling cod than I've ever caught in a day.

From what I've gleaned from a few commercial captains you'd have to plan on running that far out early in the season, and IMHO that's too far for a 20' boat with a 50 horse.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Kardinal_84 View Post
    Isn't THAT the truth. If you can afford the boat, you can't afford the fuel it seems! Getting better now.

But back to the OP question.... Does anyone hit Seward Early inside the Bay? I was out there in May a few years back and just caught quillback rockfish. Late May early June I have seen my sonar light up with what I think are the reds in the saltwater but couldn't get them to hit.
    I'm pretty sure I've seen Diane, the King Lady, out of Seward in May. Her boat, the Florette C, is not a fast boat and she usually fishes in closer than Calisto Head. If she's out, she catches Kings. I've wanted to go out with her every spring to find out what she does but never seem to get around to it.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    I've been in Katchemak bay, the mouth of Resurrection/Pony, and Passage Canal in my little 18' searunner (90hp) 3 very memorable times that I wished I weren't there at the time. Pay attention to and heed the weather.
    Amen to that!!!!!!

King fishing can be very finicky and slow, particularly if your new to ocean fishing. I would wait until late June and then take your boat to Seward and fish silvers, particularly if you really want the kids to have a good time. Stay inside the bay and you will be relatively safe, but do pay attention to the weather report.

We've done well in and around Sunny Cove which again is easy enough in a boat that size with a favorable forecast.

Thumb cove can be really entertaining for kids, I don't recall the timing for the pinks in there but I'm sure someone can fill you in. That's also a pretty easy run for a boat that size.

Appreciate you guys taking the time. Thank you Limon!! Halibut in Sunny Cove and Thumb in July? I've made it to Humpy and Thumb cove on the good weather days. About halfway to Callisto too, swells picked up and headed back. It was a safe trip. With the size of my boat and motor, I won't travel any further than Caines.
    I would love to fish around Callisto bay area. I'll wait till I get a bigger boat, I guess. Planning to upgrade next year. My wife and I made it to the south end of fox Island, headed back when winds started slightly around 11am. I haven't caught any halibut in seward, rockfish or kings. Just not sure where to go, I really want my daughter and wife to get a fish on. It's fun learning the area's awesome scenery!!

Great to her from you Kardinal, appreciate the tips. I love the homer area, grew up in Soldotna and headed down there a good bit, just didn't have a boat. Excited to get out there and play around. I don't want to get to far out, no further than Seldovia. With my wife and kids, I really want them to catch some kings, maybe we'll just start around the spit area and work my way around. Even try across the bay around cohen islands? Those kings probably get caught within a mile of the spit right, all around the north side?

Quote Originally Posted by fishing nut View Post
    Great to her from you Kardinal, appreciate the tips. I love the homer area, grew up in Soldotna and headed down there a good bit, just didn't have a boat. Excited to get out there and play around. I don't want to get to far out, no further than Seldovia. With my wife and kids, I really want them to catch some kings, maybe we'll just start around the spit area and work my way around. Even try across the bay around cohen islands? Those kings probably get caught within a mile of the spit right, all around the north side?
    The homer residents I know catch most of their halibut while king trolling, typically under 20 lbs but that's the good eating size anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast