Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kodiak deer rifle

Default Kodiak deer rifle

Curious what you guys use when hunting deer on Kodiak.

Are you using a deer caliber or a larger bear caliber ?

I've always used a 7mm mag and felt good about it. A buddy of mine used a 300 win. I know some other guys that have gone out and about with 30/30s and .270s.

I use whatever I got, from a 357 to a 300 savage to a 30 30 to a 338 win mag.

Have no concern with using a larger caliber if it you are using a decent bullet. I use either 250 nosler partitions or Speer grand slams on both moose and deer, no excess damage to the deer using these rounds, less than my 270 or 300 savage with cheaper ammunition cor lokts.

I will be taking my .325 this year. Avoid hitting the front shoulder with a big round on deer, I seen the decimation a .300 win mag did to the front leg of a deer, it wasn't pretty
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

375 and 416 are fantastic deer guns. Very little meat damage on a broadside shot. Now a head on shot...well....uh that's different.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I use a "RAMBO" Super Warrior survival knife, for everything on Kodiak...........(Mostly for PBJ Sandwich making)..........

I agree with Jake, my 375 did very little damage on the deer I shot last season. It did far less than my 270. I bought a 243 specifically for hunting deer on Kodiak, but haven't gotten to try it out yet.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Well, since Kodiak is not much different than Southeast AK animal-wise, I use a .270WSM and a 30.06, both Tikkas. I use the 30.06 when I goat hunt, and it's probably a better bear round overall than the .270WSM. Either one is more than capable of dropping Sitka Blacktails.

I hunted Kodiak for some 25+ years and always took my Remington 700 chambered in 375 H&H. Saw some bruins, buried Deer carcasses,heard them in the brush and always felt I was armed properly. Enjoy the hunt.

I use both my 375 H&H and 338 win mag. Like the win mag best cuz its lighter and does`nt get rusty (ss)

243 works just fine on the deer here.
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

Quote Originally Posted by Abel View Post
    243 works just fine on the deer here.
    I agree small bores work great, especially for the late season beach harvests. I have used a 25-06 a few times when I was new to Kodiak. However your attitude changes once you see big bear tracks in your tracks when walking around with a bagful of meat. I started using and continue to carry a .338 and a 300 ultra, depending on where and when for a little more reassurance.

Abel is right, I use either my 243 or 7mm-08 and both seem to get the job done.
    Kodiak Island Adventures
    907-539-6474
    Shearwater 38' Allen Marine Catamaran
    Lana J 40' USCG inspected

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

winchester extreme weather in .270 win is my go to gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com

Wont matter if you shoot them in the head..

I have only hunted Kodiak once, but when my wife and I went this fall I brought my 338 and she shot her 243. Both rifles worked great. The only reason why I chose the 338 was for bear protection. But we both shot deer with both rifles and there was very little meat damage at all. I almost always shoot Core-lokts because they are cheap and they get the job done.

Quote Originally Posted by dieNqvrs View Post
    I agree small bores work great, especially for the late season beach harvests. I have used a 25-06 a few times when I was new to Kodiak. However your attitude changes once you see big bear tracks in your tracks when walking around with a bagful of meat. I started using and continue to carry a .338 and a 300 ultra, depending on where and when for a little more reassurance.
    Not really, I primarily hunt with a stick and string now and don't have any issues. Even when over on Raspberry I have had no issues. Make plenty of human noise when packing in bear country.
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

Hunted Kodiak 3 times. Killed 3 deer with an .06. Saw one bear once...through binoculars...a mile away...going in the other direction.

That said, once you've put one down, don't lollygag and get your deer packed or dragged to the beach or the cabin quickly.

A former supervisor of mine was the Trooper Sgt in Kodiak for many years. He killed dozens of deer by his account and favored the .375 as referred to by BRWNBR. He would say the .375 was the perfect Kodiak deer round because the deer lacked the body mass to cause the bullets to expand. He'd say ".375 in; .375 out. Kills 'em D.R.T. Dead Right There"
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

Took my first deer this year with a .338 win @ 25 yards ( jumped the deer and couldn't get to my bow).was dreading walking up on the deer thinking it would have a large exit wound but it did not ( same size as the entry)

Quote Originally Posted by dieNqvrs View Post
    The pucker factor is even greater when you are bow hunting deer in the Kodiak area. I got tired of sitting one time on Afognak and made a half mile loop still hunting to warm myself up. I got back to where I started to find bear tracks in my tracks so I started following them......... It had followed me in the complete loop. when I got back to the starting point again with the tracks still in my tracks, I bailed off the ridge and got back to camp and my rifle ASAP. Snowed again that night and after that we saw no sign of the bear again.

My usual gun for deer on Kodiak is my .06 with 165 gr. sp bts. It's a Ruger M 77 Mark ll with a stainless barrel and a composite stock. Boats and salt water are usually a part of deer hunting on Kodiak so this gun does the trick. When I lived on Kodiak, I also killed a lot of deer with my model 94 30-30. Just depended on where I was going and the time of year. The open sights work way better in an autumn monsoon.

PS stay away from ballistic tips if you like eating deer meat. Borrowed a gun from a friend once and shot a doe with one of his ballistic tips, just behind the shoulder. What that bullet did to the exit side of the deer was a sin.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast