Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: If you could change the draw system

Default If you could change the draw system

What change(s) would you make?
    No point system, bonus point system, preferrence point system?
    Reduce the number of raffles an applicant could enter from 3 to just one or two? (would reduce number of applicants per raffle)
    Increase number of raffles that could be entered (like 6 for moose was done a couple years ago)?
    increase cost of raffle entry?
    Decrease cost of entry?
    Keep drawn tags free - or charge for them once drawn (like muskox does currently)?
    Charge a fee for drawn tags?
    Would you be willing to invest in the system to have a better chance to draw a tag in the long run?

Only thing I would change would be making some of the hard to get highly sought after tags more of a once in a lifetime tag.
    But otherwise I think the draw is just fine.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Agree with BRWNBR

This would eliminate people not serious. Life throws us curves though so I may say you have to wait 5 years on any tag they give less then 5 of.

Preference points. It is a fair way to distribute a set number of tags in a limited area. The more popular the area in terms of applicants, the more points it takes. Happens that way in several western states. Alaska has to always be different, I can respect that however I think we can do better.

As a system, I wouldn't change anything. One thing I found a little annoying this year while applying for tags with my non-resident brother in law is that we can't do party permits on many hunts because residents and non-residents are separated into different permit numbers. Koyukuk moose is a good example. So it would be nice to have it where non-residents hunting with a resident could apply on the same tag, but overall...I really like the way our system is.

I really like our system and hope we never go to a preference point system since it alienates new and young hunters. I do think we should pay for our harvest tickets, but that is perhaps best left for another thread. As for the draw, I don't think you can improve upon random draw and equal odds for all.

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    Only thing I would change would be making some of the hard to get highly sought after tags more of a once in a lifetime tag.
    But otherwise I think the draw is just fine.

Buffalo is already like this basically with a 10 year wait limit after you harvest one. So F&G is basically doing this on the hard to draw, because the odds of drawing one are so slim anyway. Plus if we do some sort of preference point system or anything where F&G has to keep track of things beyond a year somebody is paying to maintain it.

The only thing I would change is if it is all computerized why does it take two months to tabulate everything??? The draw should be a week after the entry date ends, or less. Do it live on a big screen at the Egan center where people pay to enter or at the SCI banquet or something during the day so people can watch and see it happen live.

One thing that frustrates me is when someone wants to hunt a particular species so they put in mom, aunt Lucy, and all the kids for a permit. Mom or the 8 y.o. get drawn, but never really had an interest in doing it.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeRoss View Post
    One thing that frustrates me is when someone wants to hunt a particular species so they put in mom, aunt Lucy, and all the kids for a permit. Mom or the 8 y.o. get drawn, but never really had an interest in doing it.
    In the western states they award a lot of youth tags but they don't like to award premium trophy elk and deer tags to youth because they turn into "daddy" hunts.

Quote Originally Posted by polardds View Post

The only thing I would change is if it is all computerized why does it take two months to tabulate everything??? The draw should be a week after the entry date ends, or less. Do it live on a big screen at the Egan center where people pay to enter or at the SCI banquet or something during the day so people can watch and see it happen live.
    Heck yes! That would be a blast to attend! I'm sure F&G could make half their revenue on beer sales alone for an event like that.

10 choices max in order of your preference. Once you pull a tag the rest of your application comes out of the drawing. Animals like sheep, Brown Bear, Goat and Bison are 1 in 2 or 3 or 4 years in Bisons case, meaning if you draw a tag you cant apply for that species for 2 or 3 years, 4 years for Bison. Maximum of 2 sheep apps, 2 brown bear apps.

Keep it a random draw. The only problem I see with the current structure is it doesnt do a good enough job of cycling hunters through the system. It wouldnt be hard to get more people tags with some slight adjustments. I think everyone wins. It also keeps guys like Tony Kavalok at F&G from winning 6 or 7 tags in two years. I feel for the guys who have been putting in for tags for 25 years or more.

I also agree the drawing should be an event, f&g could be raking it in.

If I could change the draw....I wouldn't.

Preference points make little sense in a state that turns over 20% of its population every year. Hard to get more fair than 100% random chance for everyone, every year. Particularly when almost all of the species are available to hunt OTC, can't OTC bison but everything else you can go somewhere here and hunt it.

If your annual hunting plans rely on drawing a tag... you probably need some better plans.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

I would gladly give away the cow moose tag I drew this year if it meant I never had to listen to anyone suggest preference points again.

I would be fine with going to once in a lifetime on some tags just based on principle, but I am also not under any false illusion that it will make any meaningful difference in drawing a DI403.
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    I really like our system and hope we never go to a preference point system since it alienates new and young hunters. I do think we should pay for our harvest tickets, but that is perhaps best left for another thread. As for the draw, I don't think you can improve upon random draw and equal odds for all.
    I think they should do a lot more for youth - like with 14A antlerless tags for instance. It's hard to get a kid on an animal in AK, compared to whitetails or a cow elk or antelope. They would give half those 14A tags to kids if I was calling the shots.

Alaska's draw system is anything but random when it is done on a computer. Just like computer voting? I don't trust it. I would like to see a real live hand drawing for the random hunting permit drawing. I would enjoy that with beer just like watching the super bowl! Be a good thing for channel 7 to raise money if they had the drawing permits live on tv and channel 7 could action off some special permit hunts at the same time to raise money.

I have been putting in for Delta/Farewell buffalo since, well over 30 years and 3 friends of mine have gotten 2 buffalo permits in that time! I have a gotten the chance to pack about a dozen of my friends big bad buffalo's for them just to get a hind 1/4 and at least say I helped hunt them. I have gotten several permits over the last 30 plus years of putting in for the different species, so I can't complain MUCH.

If its a random draw why is there a list of names with pretty even numbers of last names A's,B's, C's,D's,E's and so on. The math doesn't support this random draw they claim.

Trying to think outside the box, but what about allowing people to use all three choices on the same tag? Why should I have to put in for three different areas when my main goal is to get a certain tag? If I want DB100 for instance, let me pay for three entries towards that one permit.

I'd like to see the live draw, presents some outfitters with an interesting way of meeting/booking clients. Perhaps host it in conjunction with alaska sportsman show?

Alaska's random draw system is the fairest system you'll find. I'd leave our system just like it is! Well, one minor change. Put the draw results out within two weeks of closing the application period.

I'm disappointed in the Alaska big game draw system in that it allocated 30-40% of the tags (depending on the species) to non-residents, which is 3x to 4x the amount that other states offer to non-residents.

Keep it as it is, I wouldn't change one thing, point system is about the dumbest move we could make. I believe that at least 95-98% of all applicants are random and equal and that's about as fair as you can get. Sometimes some folks are just luckier than others. Neither my family or I have drawn a tag in last 3 years and we applied for a bunch. Even though it was a little disapointing when the results were first posted my happiness doesn't hinge on a special permit. I've been on the other end of it too where I couldn't possibly hunt all the tags I'd drawn and that was a lot harder to swallow than not getting a tag at all.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast