Thread: Hands down, best snowshoe hare recipe.

Default Hands down, best snowshoe hare recipe.

I own some beagles and I shoot lots of rabbits (I know they are called snowshoe hares, but I still call them rabbits) throughout the winter to supplement our wild game. Whenever I tell people that my family likes to eat rabbits I am often questioned how I cook them. It seems a lot of people don't hold them in high regard for flavor, but it is my opinion that it is very tasty if prepared properly. Not only that but very healthy. A friend of mine who raised beagles for about 40 years shared a recipe with my wife and I and here is a variation of the recipe that we have created and we love it. This particular recipe really complements the flavor of the rabbit.

THE FIRST THING WE ALWAYS DO WITH ALL OUR RABBITS is we SOAK THE RABBIT IN SALTWATER FOR A MINIMUM OF 24 HOURS. This is very important. It really does make a huge difference in the flavor.

Sometimes I will change the water after a day and do another saltwater soak for an additional 24 hours. The salt pulls all the blood and impurities out of the meat and it will dramatically change the flavor of the meat.

Then, we bone the meat using only the legs and backstraps and we discard any damaged or bloodshot meat. This is really easy to do after the saltwater soak because after the soak you can easily tell the difference between damaged meat and good meat.

Then my wife lays the meat in the bottom of a 9 x 13 pan (for 2 rabbits), then generously sprinkles Tony's creole seasoning on the rabbit meat. Then she tops that with 6 thinly sliced potatoes and 1/2 of an onion thinly sliced.

Then mix 1 can of cream of mushroom soup, 1 can cream of chicken, and 1 can of water in a bowl.

Then pour the soup mixture on top of the potatoes.

Cover with foil and bake at 400 degrees for 1 1/2 hours. Here are the results.

My kids prefers the rabbit fried. Not my favorite, but they really love it and my daughter devours it. It is her favorite dish. You can save some of the rabbit meat for that.

Looks good...!!! We used to do a variation of that ourselves. Except we would use stuffing mix, cream of mushroom soup, and sour cream. Then sprinkle chives over the top....

Oh and btw.... I always soak small game in salt water overnight as well....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Looks good...!!! We used to do a variation of that ourselves. Except we would use stuffing mix, cream of mushroom soup, and sour cream. Then sprinkle chives over the top....

Oh and btw.... I always soak small game in salt water overnight as well....
    Sounds good 4mer. I'll have to try that sometime.

Deep fry atfer soaking and smother with buffalo wing sauce....another option. Treat 'em just like wings!
    Bk

How much salt are you putting in the water?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    How much salt are you putting in the water?

About 1/4th to 1/3rd a cup of salt per gallon of water.

I love rabbit and have been hunting and eating them since I was a kid. With my current work and school schedule I have no time to go out and play, but after this August I plan to find a way to get my beagles up here from NY and get back to running. Thanks for sharing the recipe. It looks delicious!

Quote Originally Posted by NYHillbilly View Post
    I love rabbit and have been hunting and eating them since I was a kid. With my current work and school schedule I have no time to go out and play, but after this August I plan to find a way to get my beagles up here from NY and get back to running. Thanks for sharing the recipe. It looks delicious!
    NYHillbilly, how many beagles do you own? Are the males? Females? Both? Do you breed them? Just curious because I got a champion bloodline male that I would like to have one of his puppies sometime. My wife and I made the mistake of having our female fixed when she was a puppy. I'm really disappointed about it too because she is one helluva hunter.

I only have two females and a male left back in NY. I used breed only as I needed to keep for myself, and those I did not keep went to friends needing a hound. I used to hunt almost everyday of the rabbit/hare season, ran off season to keep them in shape, and even trialed my hounds for a few years. Lived and mostly ran in upstate NY, but also ran and trialed some in Pennsylvania, New Jersey, West Virginia, Kentucky, Ohio, and Indiana. I championed one of my past hounds in NJ blueberry fields, overgrown brush and woodlots when it was 70 plus degrees and bone dry on a Saturday and the next day, Sunday we woke up to snow. That hound put on a clinic for those southern boys on the snow and they loved it! When I get going again I plan to get back into it heavy. Not competition anymore though because I was always primarily a rabbit hunter not trophy chaser, but I had been urged by some buddies to run my hounds in trials and met some really nice people. Thanks for responding back! Always love to hear from another beagler.

Default Hands down, best snowshoe hare recipe.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    About 1/4th to 1/3rd a cup of salt per gallon of water.
    Thanks I'm going to try that if I stumble on another hare!