Thread: Late winter tying for reds

Default Late winter tying for reds

Looking for some more patterns to tie for this summers reds, need to add some variety to the tying bench. Just to be clear I am referring to flies used by those of us who realize that they do, in fact, bite. If anyone has ever been down to my home waters, the Chilkat and Chilkoot for reds, shoot me a PM and let me know if there was anything you noticed, always looking for new ideas.
    Tight lines,
    Hainesfisherman

I like to tie Mini Krystal shrimp in chartreuse, pink, org and pearl, Christmas Island Specials in orange and pearl and Crazy Charlies in white, chartreuse and tan.
    "The Tug is the Drug"

Never fished your waters before, but try GloBugs, especially champagne pink with a cerise spot. For drifting I like them about 1/4" diameter. If they're schooling in slower water, add a very small shot to the leader 6" to a foot up, then use an indicator to suspend the GloBug at the same depth the fish are holding and dead drift it through the school. Downright amazing when the fish are relaxed and haven't been dodging typical flossers all day.

In an unusual departure, watch for the reds to be holding in 2-3' of fast smooth water and swirling up to the top. Then go to a bigger version (3/8 to 1/2") GloBug in the same colors, dunk it in dry fly floatant, then move upstream of the fish and "wake" it over the top of them. For some reason, some days they'll also come up for a GloBug in sky blue with a flame orange spot.

And speaking of top water action, treat those swirling fish like steelhead and wake traditional steelhead wakers and other patterns over their heads. I've caught them that way on Muddlers, Steelhead Caddis, Bombers, and especially my version of a #8 Stimulator tied with a chartreuse or yellow abdomen and flame or cerise thorax.

Lotta fun treating them like real fish, but it only works when you can get away from the flossers. And that's a problem.

I second the Crazy Charlies fly. Also used with great success was size ten streamers tied sparsely with two diff colors of calf tail. Much like a miniature standard coho fly. I tie some with small bead eyes on, some with out. Be sure to tie them sparce.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

All sounds good, I've used some of those with success in the past and I will need to give the cerise spot a try on some glo-bugs. Anyone ever tried any scud style patterns? Ive had some success in the past but I was only using the scud flies I fish for trout.