Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pretty sure my dog was killed by bad dog food.

Default Pretty sure my dog was killed by bad dog food.

We usually feed our dogs home-made food. But a month ago we picked up a bag of Beneful just to have something different for them to snack on. Within a few days both dogs were super sick. Vomiting, diarrhea, staggering around. We cut off that food and then spent the next week on vet visits. X-rays showed super enlarged spleens and some internal bleeding.
    Eventually my 10 year old gal could not fight it any longer and her kidneys shut down. My 3 year old is just now pulling out of it, but he still has some problems. A diet heavy with cooked fresh beef liver and some dried dandelion root powder in his food seems to be helping.

http://www.dogingtonpost.com/purinas...er-complaints/

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...care-sued-ove/

http://www.naturalnews.com/048854_Pu...og_deaths.html

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2015/02...n_6752654.html
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Ahh man that is terrible. So sorry for the loss of you pal. .

Default Blue Buffalo Consumer Reports

I am very sorry to hear this news about your dogs.

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/pets/blue_buffalo.html

I'm not sure that there is any safe food out there on the market for our pets. A few years back, I researched for days trying to find a good brand. Saw that some really nasty stuff goes into pet food...euthanized, diseased, rotting, road kill animals...expired meat from the grocery stores, styrofoam and all goes into the big vat of dog food mixture. Went with Blue Buffalo...spendy, but I thought it was worth it, the ingredients looked good. After I checked out Float Pilot's links I came up with the above link for the Blue Buffalo brand of dog food.

I always supplement my dogs with other ingredients, but they do get some of the store bought stuff too, not sure what to do about finding a good brand of dog food out there.
    "Grin and Bear It"

Very sorry to hear about your loss. I sure hope the 3 y/o pulls through with no lasting problems. Nothing like the loyalty of a great dog.

I'm so sorry, I know how much I love mine and hard it is to have one sick or worst yet have one pass. We almost lost one of ours to those china chicken treats a few years ago, about the same exact symptoms, cost us thousands of dollars. I believe I'm to the point of cooking for mine and not giving them any commercial dog food. I already make him brown rice and ground chicken, but we do feed some dry food. But after reading those links I'm rethinking it.

I pray for the recovery of your young one and also for healing hearts.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

A relative on my wife's side of the family just lost her dog five days ago and claims that Beneful was the culprit. I don't have any further information, but certainly interesting to see the trend.

Merrick food seems to have good reviews.... But I now just cook up some chicken backs or turkey meat and add it to rice. Fried beef liver is also a huge hit.

Another problem is that my surviving canine pal ( Maxwell ) is super depressed about old Heidi dying. He went around the house and collected all the toys, hunting training aids and rawhide chews and deposited them in a big pile on Heidi's now un-used bed. He will lay next to that bed and moan all day if I do not get him out of the house.

While Heidi might have been 95 pounds, she was actually a very good hunting dog. She could swim all day long and loved to see you taking the guns out of the locker.

I may have to find a play pal for Maxwell before he dies from grief.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sad news. Sorry to hear it.

Thankfully, Diamond Lamb and Rice has treated us well for many years.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    Merrick food seems to have good reviews.... But I now just cook up some chicken backs or turkey meat and add it to rice. Fried beef liver is also a huge hit.

Another problem is that my surviving canine pal ( Maxwell ) is super depressed about old Heidi dying. He went around the house and collected all the toys, hunting training aids and rawhide chews and deposited them in a big pile on Heidi's now un-used bed. He will lay next to that bed and moan all day if I do not get him out of the house.

While Heidi might have been 95 pounds, she was actually a very good hunting dog. She could swim all day long and loved to see you taking the guns out of the locker.

I may have to find a play pal for Maxwell before he dies from grief.
    You can never replace them,, but it sure is hard to not love a new puppy. My male mourned the loss of my female, they had been together for 6 years when she passed. We have been looking for the pup that speaks to us to join our pack and this summer.

That is a great photo, she sure looks happy in it.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Wow. Really sorry to hear of this. Best to all of you, and yes, I think getting another companion for your dog is a great idea.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Wow. It's really tough to read this thread. I had twenty five plus yrs with two golden retrievers many moons ago and know the pains of losing them.
    I have been contemplating taking the plunge with a new hunting partner once again. In fact, there's some pups I'm eyeing that will soon be available. I sure don't remember ever having to worry about something as simple as what dog food brand we had to feed our dogs. Guess it's a new world anymore. It makes me think twice about bringing in a new family member. It would kill me to lose one like that.
    My heart breaks for u guys that lost your friends.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Very sorry to hear about this. There are at least a dozen other cases of Beneful poisoning on the Kenai Peninsula that I've heard about over the last couple months.

I've battled dog foods for awhile myself and have invested quite a bit of research. I would not touch any product put out by Purina. And Purina is settling suits and paying off vet bills left and right for claims made against their products, especially the Beneful foods.

Most importantly, avoid every single dog food that contains corn. Dogs cannot digest corn and other high carb grains. If the bag says corn anywhere on the ingredients list, it is garbage. It really is that simple.

Good foods are the ones with meat as the first few ingredients. But dry foods also lack the balanced nutrition because of the overproccessing that occurs to turn it into dry kibble. For that reason, it's recommended to supplement dry foods with fresh meat. And for that, beef is one of the best options. One of the highest recommended dog food diets is actually raw hamburger in 70/30 fat mix supplemented with some additional nutrients. The high acidity of the dog's gut coupled with the fairly short intestinal tract allows them to eat stuff that would likely make a human sick.

I've been using Kirkland and Nutro foods, with about half the dog's food volume coming from the dry foods. I supplement with virgin coconut oil, Dinovite (a powdered nutrient-packed probiotic supplement), and then moist meat based food. Some of that is my own canned stews that I make from chicken, brown rice, peas, carrots, broccoli stems, eggs, and any other fresh or frozen veggie that I feel like tossing in the stew pot when I make a batch. I then run it through the canner into pint jars for shelf stable storage.

Anyway, there is a lot of info about dog food that has been well hidden from the public by the big players (Purina, Hill, Iams, etc). I don't trust any of them.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Sorry for your loss.
    We currently have a pup that is a little over a year old & one dry food that I have been feeding her on & off is Dr Tim's. Maybe I am naive in believing it is better than a lot of others on the market but it has decent reviews & you can email questions to him directly & he will respond. Another reason is he is a musher & feeds it to his sled dogs as well as the fact that is it reasonably priced for a 44lb bag. If anyone is interested in trying it I have some extra in zip lock bags in the freezer, & there is a distributor in south anchorage that carries it.

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    Very sorry to hear about this. There are at least a dozen other cases of Beneful poisoning on the Kenai Peninsula that I've heard about over the last couple months.

I've battled dog foods for awhile myself and have invested quite a bit of research. I would not touch any product put out by Purina. And Purina is settling suits and paying off vet bills left and right for claims made against their products, especially the Beneful foods.

Most importantly, avoid every single dog food that contains corn. Dogs cannot digest corn and other high carb grains. If the bag says corn anywhere on the ingredients list, it is garbage. It really is that simple.

Good foods are the ones with meat as the first few ingredients. But dry foods also lack the balanced nutrition because of the overproccessing that occurs to turn it into dry kibble. For that reason, it's recommended to supplement dry foods with fresh meat. And for that, beef is one of the best options. One of the highest recommended dog food diets is actually raw hamburger in 70/30 fat mix supplemented with some additional nutrients. The high acidity of the dog's gut coupled with the fairly short intestinal tract allows them to eat stuff that would likely make a human sick.

I've been using Kirkland and Nutro foods, with about half the dog's food volume coming from the dry foods. I supplement with virgin coconut oil, Dinovite (a powdered nutrient-packed probiotic supplement), and then moist meat based food. Some of that is my own canned stews that I make from chicken, brown rice, peas, carrots, broccoli stems, eggs, and any other fresh or frozen veggie that I feel like tossing in the stew pot when I make a batch. I then run it through the canner into pint jars for shelf stable storage.

Anyway, there is a lot of info about dog food that has been well hidden from the public by the big players (Purina, Hill, Iams, etc). I don't trust any of them.
    I agree with a bunch of your post, but certainly not all of it. Sorry for your loss Float Pilot.
    "If I could shoot a game bird and still not hurt it, the way I can take a trout on a fly and release it, I doubt if I would kill another one." George Bird Evans

I ran into a Snopes article out there that says that the issue of Beneful dog food killing dogs is "unresolved", yet, they mention a class-action lawsuit as recently as last month. Sounds like something is going on, to be sure. You might check it out; perhaps there is some help out there. HERE'S THE LINK.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Sorry for your loss. That is a tough one. We sure love our dogs like they are family.

One thing that I do is keep all trimmings from our wild game. I cook it in a big pot after chunking it up into cubes and cook it. Then I put it in quart baggies and freeze it. I try to mix it half and half with dry iams. Sometimes I buy bulk rice and use that to mix in also.

I think getting another companion for your dog is a great idea.
    While it may seem early, I am looking around for a 50 t0 80 pound female, spayed or not, between 5 months and 3 years who likes to run like the wind and is ball happy. My Ridgeback-shepherd mix usually is zipping around the property at 45 knots, but now he is all depressed. He needs a rough-housing and high speed running buddy. I will head down to the shelter in a couple hours and see who might need a new home.

This is terrible news. I'm so very sorry for your great loss. Quite tragic. Dog food has always scared hell out of me.

Very sad to hear stuff like this. I hope beneful is brought to justice for these deaths and illnesses.
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

This thread is freaking me out! I've fed my dog Purina Beneful Healthy Weight for almost a decade. She does have a urinating problem at night, but I thought it was due to her age. She also had severe bleeding in her urine last year, which the vet "thought" may have been a bad urinary track infection. My dog eats lots of salmon and rice, but after reading this I feel I should take her off of this Purina dog food immediately.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast